Author Topic: Wiring turn signal help?  (Read 592 times)

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
Wiring turn signal help?
« on: December 05, 2021, 02:29:27 PM »
Hey guys, I am trying to wire up some new turn signals to the front of the Cali Stone.  I’m an idiot about wiring and I’m always just hoping trial and error will work but I’m stumped here.  I’ve got the left one connected and working fine but I can’t get the right one to work no matter how I wire it. When I took the headlight and all turn signals off I even marked these two plugs left and right in the back thinking they, not the wiring per se, had more to do with left and right but oh well.  I can even wire this right turn signal to blink along with the left one  :undecided:but I can’t get it to blink when I turn on the right.  I’ve tried every combination of these three wires that are available to connect but I can’t get any combination to work. I’ve also checked my fuses and they’re all fine too. I do have the headlight off the bike but I don’t imagine that has anything to

do with it. The two blue wires pictured or from the plug coming off the bike the three wires are from the turn signal, red black green. Any ideas?
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Wiring turn signal help?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 02:36:27 PM »
Is the bulb good?

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 02:41:08 PM »
Is the bulb good?

Typing on my phone so excuse any and all typos.  Yes, like I was saying I can even use a combination of these 5 wires pictured and the turn signal will blink along with the left one which gives me the false sense that if I just try the various combinations that I’ll eventually get it right to blink as a right turn signal but not yet and I think I’ve tried every possible combination between these 5 pictured.
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 02:47:04 PM »
Ok If memory serves me red is turn signal + on rt. side and should connect to green from harness, blk. is ground, and the third wire from blinker is  parking light , not necessary if original was a two wire. Blk, wire needs to ground to frame.

Blue wire from harness is likely parking and would go to green wire from blinker.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 02:52:26 PM by lucian »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 02:47:04 PM »

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 02:55:26 PM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 03:30:17 PM »
Ok looking at the stone wiring diagram it shows you blue and green wires from harness are for horns

original blinkers  were two wire only and rt. side + is Rosa or pink from harness
   left side + is ve/n or green/black from harness

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 04:28:30 PM »
Ok looking at the stone wiring diagram it shows you blue and green wires from harness are for horns

original blinkers  were two wire only and rt. side + is Rosa or pink from harness
   left side + is ve/n or green/black from harness

Hey Lucian, much thanks for the help here.  The previous owner had put some aftermarket turn signals on the bike that were really rusted so I took them off.  He also had done some odd wiring to those as well; regardless, seeing your post here I inspected the plugs he used and if you look where I circled at the base of the plug (2 circled) you’ll see one of the plugs original wires is pink/bk and the other is green/bk.  In similar manner to what you describe.

Easy Peasy I say to myself.  Now I know the pink/black is associated with the right turn signal.  But.  When I go to try any combination of the 3 wires from the turn signal with that plug associated with the pink/bk color, no right turn signal.   :sad:  I can use that same plug (with the pink and black wire base) turn the left signal switch on, and put the wires together in a combination to get the blinker to light.  Aha!  I say, maybe Lucian just has his colors mixed up so I try and the same thing with the plug associated with green/bk colors.  Again, nothing when the switch is turned to the right but using various combinations I can get the green/black plug to make a left turn signal.  Argh!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 04:30:53 PM by Bpreynolds2 »
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 04:45:18 PM »
Remember the black wire from the blinker needs to be grounded .  The pink or the gr/blk are the two signal  + wires and should  both light up the side they are connected to, if backwards just reverse.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 04:50:29 PM »
So from your picture trace the black wire from the original plug and connect that to the black wire from blinker. on both sides that is the ground . the pink and the gr/blk are the + signal wires connect those to the blinker reds

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 04:51:46 PM »
Man I hate it when someone throws new colors into a loom :violent1:

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 05:48:40 PM »
Man I hate it when someone throws new colors into a loom :violent1:

:boozing: :grin:
I’ll give what you say a shot.  If this works out I certainly owe you. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 09:29:33 PM »
Here is a kind of close up shot of the diagram. 

I ask here for patience as I am a true idiot about this  :laugh:
From the diagram, it would appear the pink/black wires from the harness are for the right side front turn signal.
Also from the diagram, it would appear the green/black wires are for the left side.

The turn signals I am connecting I now know the green wire is the turn signal blinker wire, black is ground, and the red is, as Lucian mentions, a kind of parking brake or running light (that just causes the turn signal light to go around and around). 

And true to form, when I connected 2 “left” side wires from the harness (green wire/black wire) to the 2 turn signal blinker wires (green and black), connecting them as in green to green, ground to ground, then leaving the red daytime running light wire free, the whole setup works as it should.

And maybe here is where my logic is faltering.  I would then think that if I follow this same pattern for the right side, connecting the 2 harness wires (pink and black) to the green and black wires from my signal, then being pink from harness to green from the signal, then black from harness to black from signal, it should work, but it’s not.  The turn signal indicator bulb on the dash is not lighting up when turn knob is pushed right or left.  I took the dash apart to inspect wiring and bulb.  Bulb is fine as I tried it in the neutral slot that is working.  Dunno if that has anything or any indication to help. 

2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 04:40:15 AM »
It looks to me like you have the wiring figured out. Your logic in the the first comment is absitively posilutely correct.   :laugh:

Regarding the dash blinker bulb not working, are your new blinkers LEDs? If so, that might be the reason the dash bulb doesn't work. You have to do a mod to get it to work with LEDs, but that's another topic.

If you can get the right blinker to light when connected to the harness's left turn green and black wires, (And it appears you have done this.)  then the right blinker bulb and it's bit of wiring are good. So the problem is the turn signal switch OR the harness wiring from the switch to the right signal, that is the pink wire or it's associated black wire is broken or disconnected somewhere.

If you can get the right rear blinker working, then the turn signal switch is good. The problem is in the pink or it's associated black wiring.
If neither the front nor rear right side blinkers work, it could be a faulty turn signal switch OR the pink or black wiring.

One thing to check: The connector for the the left handlebar switch. (On the wiring diagram, it's the 9 pin connector in the center left to right, near the bottom of the diagram.) Unplug and plug the connector together a few times to scrape possible corrosion off of the connector pins. Tug on the pink wire and it's mating blue/black wire to make sure they are firmly attacked to their connector pins. Look inside the connector. The female pins should all be the same height. Same with the male pins. They should not be green with corrosion.

Hope this helps!

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 05:36:44 AM »
Do you only have one turn signal warning light?

Looking at Carl Allison's wiring diagram posted in the thread it appears that's the case. As berniebee has said LED's will stop the warning light working, this is not your fault but the half assed method Guzzi used to wire the warning light.

What happens with normal incadesacent bulbs is the warning light gets its positive supply from the turn signal you've selected, so far so good, BUT the ground used is from the opposite indicator circuit.

The current flows through the bulb to the opposite indicator, as the current is low through the warning light, it's insufficient to light the opposite indicators but the current passes through the bulb on the opposite side and then grounds through it. If you have an LED when the current passes through to the opposite indicator to ground, the LED blocks the current flow and the bulb isn't grounded, so an open circuit and the warning light doesn't come on.

It's a PIA and once you have the indicators working you'll likely need to alter the wiring configuration to the bulb to get it to work as it should using diodes.

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 05:51:25 AM »
BB and OJ, pretty sure one or both of you are correct.  Yes, I am trying to install LED signals so I suppose that is likely the issue.  But also, last week while I was trying to degrease the frame from the headstock down to the airbox, I sprayed a pretty liberal amount of WD right there where the “10” pin connector is.  And too, nothing on the dash (nor the bulbs inside the speedo/odo) from that connector are lighting up/getting power.  Meanwhile everything on the dash from the “other” connector is working/lighting up.  I really have no idea what I was doing but I did get out the multimeter last night and put it on the left turn signal when flashing and got lots of positive reading there; yet, when I did the same thing for the right side pink/black wires, next to nothing.  I’m thinking it has to be the LED issue and/or the 10 pin connector.  Definitely going to unplug that and inspect, maybe some contact cleaner?  Also, guess I’ll just go back to standard signals - I usually only use LEDs anyhow for the headlight and tail light because they are always on and drawing.  When buying the turn signals I really just picked the ones that looked decent enough and might go with the bike visually, not really because they are LED models. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 05:53:38 AM by Bpreynolds2 »
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 07:59:24 AM »
You have to do a little checking with your multi meter.  First I would remove the added connectors in your photos and get directly to the pink  and green and blacks on the main harness. set meter to ohms and check for continuity to ground through both blacks. One probe on the black and other probe back to neg battery terminal , if both blacks have continuity to ground all good on the blacks. Now set the meter to dc volts in the 12v range and connect neg. probe to black harness wire or any other known ground. Or batt neg. Use positive probe to check for voltage on pink and green wire while blinker switch is tuned on. If one is not getting power you will need to check that wire back through the harness / connectors for continuity  If the circuits worked before with the old blinkers I doubt it would be the switch . With patients , your meter and the diagram we will persevere !   

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2021, 06:28:37 AM »
A giant thanks here to Lucian and everyone for assisting.  Last night I got into the connectors, sprayed them all with true contact cleaner, reconnected, and viola, everything including the dash now works fine.  A part of me wants to wack myself in the noggin for not checking this first but hey, that wouldn’t be the way I do things in the garage  :grin:  If there’s a long way, I’ll find it.  Glad to get it worked out.  Thanks again to all here.   :boozing:
2020 T120 Bonneville

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here