Author Topic: Which is preferable to older riders: McDs or home?  (Read 3942 times)

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
Re: Which is preferable to older riders: McDs or home?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2021, 03:53:45 PM »
Nailed it right there! Their crap tastes like water compared to the good dark roasts I make at home!

Did somebody say dark roast???  I've been doing mine in a French press and I am spoiled.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Online bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2021, 04:52:49 PM »
 :bike-037:

So how do youse guys brew that on the road?    :coffee:   :bike-037: 

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2021, 07:04:39 AM »

So how do youse guys brew that on the road?    :coffee:   :bike-037: 

I'm getting lazy in my old (er) age, so it's been a while, but I have a plastic one cup French press in my camping cook kit, and a one burner stove. Going without coffee in the morning? Uhh, no.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2021, 07:54:26 AM »
My most memorable cup of coffee was a cup of instant in a paper cup. Let me explain. It was when the Guzzi National was had at Money Creek Campground in MN during the 100 year flood. Sunday morning is a disaster zone with tents torn down, mud every where and no electricity. I'm walking around looking at the mess when I happened by some folks in a travel trailer that had made coffee on the gas grill.
At 8 AM I'm done with a pot of coffee so now you know why this cup tasted so good.

Another memorable cup was at the national in John Day, OR. An outsider came in and set up one of these fancy coffee bars. I'm a turnip farmer so it is either plain or black. Frappe, double mocha blah, blah is all foreign to me. When it is my turn to order I said I want a plain cup of black coffee, no weird colored swizzle stick. Nothing but plain black. I can't remember the mans name but he was from Michigan and he said to the barrista that he wanted one just like Tex ordered.

In a previous post I wrote about my one time experience at StarBucks.

Tex

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2021, 07:54:26 AM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2021, 08:10:05 AM »
My most memorable cup of coffee was a cup of instant in a paper cup. Let me explain. It was when the Guzzi National was had at Money Creek Campground in MN during the 100 year flood. Sunday morning is a disaster zone with tents torn down, mud every where and no electricity. I'm walking around looking at the mess when I happened by some folks in a travel trailer that had made coffee on the gas grill.
At 8 AM I'm done with a pot of coffee so now you know why this cup tasted so good.

Another memorable cup was at the national in John Day, OR. An outsider came in and set up one of these fancy coffee bars. I'm a turnip farmer so it is either plain or black. Frappe, double mocha blah, blah is all foreign to me. When it is my turn to order I said I want a plain cup of black coffee, no weird colored swizzle stick. Nothing but plain black. I can't remember the mans name but he was from Michigan and he said to the barrista that he wanted one just like Tex ordered.

In a previous post I wrote about my one time experience at StarBucks.

Tex
Yep...
It’s never about the coffee...

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2021, 08:20:23 AM »
If you are living in a rural area or traveling the are no more breakfast cafes for old coots to hang out in.McDonalds was started by a guy who was appalled by the food he ate on the road and saw a market for food that people knew what they would be getting wherever they were.I like it for breakfast on road trips but not otherwise.

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2021, 09:51:13 AM »
But it’s never been about the coffee...

Amen.  It's all about the BSing.  Although my wife and I love McD's coffee.

Although the yutes today prefer virtual BSing to face to face BSing.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline gscott

• Hatchling
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2021, 03:33:44 PM »
I haven't spent much time on this board lately.  With discussions like this I remember why.
2007 Norge - silver
2000 Quota - black
2000 V11 Sport - green
2000 V11 Bassa - pearl white (the one I sold)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2021, 03:43:01 PM »
I haven't spent much time on this board lately.  With discussions like this I remember why.
You may wish to honour us with some examples of your deep probing insights, or at the very least some entertaining witicisms... :popcorn: :popcorn:

Your input has been sorely missed.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 03:45:13 PM by Huzo »

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2021, 04:08:15 PM »
I put this thread up with the intention of being "tongue in cheek".   I hoped to stir things up a bit by using the exact format for the subject as another thread that dealt with, which is better or old riders, low or lite?   I was trolling, but I certainly didn't get the reaction I expected.

Amazingly, most just seemed to roll right along, treating it as a perfectly normal subject for discussion.   
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline gscott

• Hatchling
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2021, 04:13:45 PM »
I put this thread up with the intention of being "tongue in cheek".   I hoped to stir things up a bit by using the exact format for the subject as another thread that dealt with, which is better or old riders, low or lite?   I was trolling, but I certainly didn't get the reaction I expected.

Amazingly, most just seemed to roll right along, treating it as a perfectly normal subject for discussion.   

I was wondering who is lonelier;  the old guys that go to McDonald's for coffee to kabitz about things, or someone that posts to a Guzzi board to spark up a conversation about old guys that go McDonald's for coffee to kabitz about things.  And yet, here I am!
2007 Norge - silver
2000 Quota - black
2000 V11 Sport - green
2000 V11 Bassa - pearl white (the one I sold)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2021, 04:25:42 PM »
I was glad to see this thread as it brought back some fond memories and maybe a look into the crystal ball.  If I end up at Mc dee's in my upcoming years  and follow in the footsteps of the hero's I grew up around ,I will feel truly blessed. Especially if some of you folks join me!
It ain't about the coffee!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2021, 05:09:37 PM »
Well I reckon topics like this occupy a good space in our psyche.
We ride these bikes as much as a vehicle to conjure up new and foster existing relationships, not as a cheap mode of transport.
We consciously or otherwise, converse with like minded individuals to reinforce our own relevance to ourselves and others. If that means expressing our own thoughts, or enquiring as to those of our cohorts of choice, then it cannot be a bad thing, regardless of the subject matter.
It also gives us licence to reminisce and when more of your life is behind you than in front, it’s a precious form of enjoyment that’s still available to us.

Seems you do your best work when you’re trying the least Chad.... :bow: :thumb:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2021, 05:12:57 PM »
I was wondering who is lonelier;  the old guys that go to McDonald's for coffee to kabitz about things, or someone that posts to a Guzzi board to spark up a conversation about old guys that go McDonald's for coffee to kabitz about things.  And yet, here I am!
As for this...
If it does nothing but help relieve loneliness, then it’s a lot more relevant than some of the offerings on these pages.
You can always tell a good thread by the ratio of reads/replies.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2021, 05:16:03 PM »
I'm a spring chicken compaired to most of you old coots...  I prefer a nice solitary scenic overlook with a water bottle and an apple from my tail bag
I'm an old rooster  :wink: Like you, I like a nice solitary scenic overlook, with my home perked coffee in a thermos, and PB&J

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2021, 06:31:46 PM »
I like coffee in my coffee. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2021, 06:44:14 PM »

"Birds of a feather, flock together!"

Compliment or insult?  Only the receiver can determine which.  Talk about Cosmic Justice!
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2021, 06:48:25 PM »
We ride these bikes as much as a vehicle to conjure up new and foster existing relationships, not as a cheap mode of transport.
We consciously or otherwise, converse with like minded individuals to reinforce our own relevance to ourselves and others. If that means expressing our own thoughts, or enquiring as to those of our cohorts of choice, then it cannot be a bad thing, regardless of the subject matter.
It also gives us licence to reminisce and when more of your life is behind you than in front, it’s a precious form of enjoyment that’s still available to us.

Well said.

The other fun part is that no matter what we think we are projecting, there is no guarantee that the perceiver will agree.

And that, is the amusing part of life for Simple Minded people like myself.  That is one of the fun parts of this thread, IMO, there is no telling how some will interpret a post.

Always fun to listen to (or read) old coots arguing about silly stuff!!!

Viva La Difference!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 06:51:31 PM by SIR REAL ED »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2021, 07:16:40 PM »
I'm a spring chicken compaired to most of you old coots...  I prefer a nice solitary scenic overlook with a water bottle and an apple from my tail bag
guzzi

That is so sad.     :cool:

:grin:

:boozing:

Offline frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2021, 10:41:08 PM »

Back in '90's, can't remember when, we were on our way to the brother in laws place in Wisc. He had picked us up at the airport in Chicago and once we were on the road a ways, he asked if wanted to get something to eat, since he was getting hungry. When we agreed, thinking he knew of a cafe near by, he drove into a McDonalds. Now I hadn't eaten in one for years, but not wanting to create family strife, kept my thoughts to myself. When we got inside, there was a group of old timers, maybe half dozen, sitting together in the dining area. They gave us a quick look over, then went back to their conversation. I asked the BIL if this was a regular stop for him and he said that when his wife was still alive, they always stopped there. So apparently this was a regular meeting place for coffee, even if you weren't one of the regulars. I don't know if they coffee klutch at the local McDonalds in Fairbanks, since I don't stop, but I did run into a group at the new cafe, a ways up the hwy. past our place. Didn't know any of them, but they looked like locals, kind of seedy, like me, so the morning coffee socials are going on up here too. I got a cup to go and it was pretty good, but not free like at Micky D's!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 10:49:34 PM by frozengoose »
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2021, 07:47:06 AM »
 Whenever I feel the need to get back to my "cultural" roots all I hafta doo is go eat at a McD's :drool:. A true american icon it is! which makes it all the harder when you realize there isn't one within 700 air miles of where I live! :food: "beneath that old white mountain just a little southeast of Nome.." (there frozengoose!)
 It seems that every small town has a Mcd's morning BS table! they have even touted it in some of there own commercials.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 07:49:45 AM by aklawok »
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2021, 08:12:51 AM »
An adult should never enter a McD once the kids are old enough to go in and order for themselves.

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2021, 08:41:02 AM »
Here's one for you Mr. Pootle

John Mulaney's Dad Orders One Black Coffee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RuYXZ_fKpQ

"black coffee, the one thing from McDonald's no child can enjoy"
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2021, 10:02:40 AM »
Our local McD's and Hardees don't have dining in anymore. Carryout and drive thru only.
But up the street from us is a old gem. Its in a rundown 50's strip mall. Its been a diner since 1959 when the building opened. Immigrant Greek couple started it. They sold it to a Immigrant Greek and Lebanese couple in the 90's. They sold it to their head waitress in the early 2000's and she and her family still run it. Best breakfast in the area hands down! All the local old folks, Bubbah's and contractors eat there. You'll catch up on all the town gossip with good home made food.
Unfortunately, their coffee is crap. Just brown water. My wife and I agreed it had zero flavor!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2021, 02:34:10 PM »
Whenever I feel the need to get back to my "cultural" roots all I hafta doo is go eat at a McD's :drool:. A true american icon it is! which makes it all the harder when you realize there isn't one within 700 air miles of where I live! :food: "beneath that old white mountain just a little southeast of Nome.." (there frozengoose!)
 It seems that every small town has a Mcd's morning BS table! they have even touted it in some of there own commercials.

I was wondering when someone would pick up on the paraphrase of the old Johnny Horton song (and John Wayne movie) "North to Alaska." Yeah, the song refers to Nome and the gold rush of the 1900's, but it also fits Fairbanks, since  there's a White Mt. north of here (the White Mtns. Nat. Rec. Area), where I worked for fifteen years. Anyways, I've worked in Nome many times, when you could fly direct on Ravn Air, so back then it woulda only been 500 miles to Mickey D's!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 03:51:44 PM by frozengoose »
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2021, 02:52:07 PM »
At home I make my own. Going out to breakfast, it would be one of the local mom and pops. I’ll drink McDonalds on the road but its never my first choice as I prefer local. McDonalds coffee used to be dishwater but a few years ago they made an effort to improve it. Its OK, better than the coffee chains. That stuff you could use for weed killer.

Pete

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2021, 03:49:24 PM »
I may be wrong [ not uncommon} but isn't Mc dee's coffee Newman's Own which means a part of the proceeds goes to a charity?

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2021, 04:45:46 PM »
I used to always stop at Maccas when riding London to Plymouth at night. As I didn't set off until at least 8PM, it was to only place open on the A303 by the time I got there. Cheeseburger, coffee, apple pie and I was away. Just what was needed on a chilly night. And the loo!  The one I stopped at was often full of squaddies from Tidworth Barracks and we had a few good chats.

Usually when riding on a decently long ride, I prefer independents, small coffee shops and tea rooms, out of the way.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2021, 05:08:13 PM »
2 things -

-independents are a dying breed (or already dead) simply because people choose to go to McDonalds.

-haven't any of you guys watched 'supersize me'  ??? And if so, how could you ingest anything from a McD's?

My question isn't rhetorical. I'm not coming from a place where I think I'm right, I'm sincerely interested in understanding...

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2021, 06:47:23 PM »
Our local McD's and Hardees don't have dining in anymore. Carryout and drive thru only.
But up the street from us is a old gem. Its in a rundown 50's strip mall. Its been a diner since 1959 when the building opened. Immigrant Greek couple started it. They sold it to a Immigrant Greek and Lebanese couple in the 90's. They sold it to their head waitress in the early 2000's and she and her family still run it. Best breakfast in the area hands down! All the local old folks, Bubbah's and contractors eat there. You'll catch up on all the town gossip with good home made food.
Unfortunately, their coffee is crap. Just brown water. My wife and I agreed it had zero flavor!

DANG!

You remind me of a diner in OKC.  Ray's Diner. 

Ray was an immigrant from Iran.  He always a had chess board that was in mid-game that was set up on the first table.  Real nice guy and had reasonably priced and quality breakfast and lunch.   One day I was complementing him on his coffee and he gave me a coffee pack of the coffee he sold in his dinner.  It wasn't as good at my house (check our coffee thread a few years ago when I mentioned adding a little salt and cinnamon).

I visited one day, I didn't see "Ray" and asked about him, "Where's "Ray"?" 

"The owner?  The Iranian?"

"Yes?"

"He passed away."

His widow, also Iranian has taken over.  Changed the menu some and added some Middle Eastern food delicacies on weekly specials.  She's painted the place, the food is OK but not the same.  I like to support the place and try to get there just as often.   She's nice, usually there but not usually out front.  There's no open chess board.

Good guy Ray.   Best to the Mrs too.   :thumb:

Good and affordable diner.  Man, I liked ol' Ray's coffee, it was the best.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 09:19:44 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here