Author Topic: Refoam convert seat  (Read 610 times)

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
Refoam convert seat
« on: November 22, 2021, 01:18:54 PM »
Ok I picked up this 77 convert and the stock seat had been kinda redone with a repop seat cover, it would get uncomfortable after about 30 miles, so a friend said take it off and we will add some foam to the molded foam all ready there to maybe firm it up so I said ok since I'm horrible at this sort of thing, so I take it off and the seat weighs like 25 pounds and take it to him and this is what we found. WTH is this.LOL  anybody know what this is? Anyway we put 2 inches of foam on the base foam that was under this stuff and put it back together, don't look to bad now and feels a little better, won't know how much better till it warms but at 20ft it looks stock  :boozing:
Bruce

2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: Refoam convert seat
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 01:26:06 PM »
That's a Purple Mattress gel seat cushion. Gel pads are known to provide some good cushioning, and you can purchase solid gel cushions to add into your seat, or simply purchase a covered seat cushion and strap over top your existing seat. This bloke decided to combine the two. I wouldn't have trusted this attempt because the open areas would all too easily collapse under the tight wrapping of the vinyl, and also cause air pockets immediately under neath the vinyl.

I considered using a gel pad as a top layer for the solo seat I'm building until I read that these gel pads have a problem retaining too much heat in summer, so good on ya for removing it now and replacing with a good luxury foam.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 01:27:58 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 02:49:02 PM »
Thanks Dirk, that's what I thought, it was poorly done and would move around, it was just layed over the cut down stock foam, I'll eventually get it recovered and done up right.
Bruce
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 07:33:53 PM »
When I build seats I used a very highly engineered shock absorbing pad that looked a bit like what you have but is about 1000 times better.  That cheap purple stuff does almost nothing as there is no integrity to the side walls.

The stuff I got was insanely expensive but it worked.  It was developed for the construction industry and I found it doing commercial HVAC installs.
My opinion which nobody asked for is gel is garbage.  The RIGHT product installed UNDER the foam directly to the seat pan can act as a vibration absorber.  The gel used in seats and sold as "wonder fix" is a complete waste.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 07:33:53 PM »

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 06:21:26 AM »
I agree with you kof, I'm going to ride it as is now for the coming year but really hope to find someone to completely redo the seat at the end of this year.
Bruce
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 02:19:38 PM »
Ha it got up to 50 degrees with 20mph winds without gust and I took the convert out to try out the refoamed seat, it's still a little soft but the frost heaves are a lot easier to deal with now, the bumps are still there but not as sharp as they were, so for now I'm happy with the results  :bike-037:
Bruce

free photo upload software
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 05:20:12 PM »
Nice looking 'vert..  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 07:48:31 PM »
Thanks Chuck, it's a good 20 ftr, I tried to like the g5 we got about the same time but for some reason the convert keeps calling for me, it keeps me smiling every time I ride it :boozing:
Bruce
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here