Author Topic: Marelli starter brushes  (Read 80 times)

Online tparr

• New Egg
Marelli starter brushes
« on: Today at 12:48:05 PM »
I am disassembling and cleaning the starter for my 1969 Ambassador. The brushes are well worn and need to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can source these? Perhaps someone has a Fiat part number. The starter is a Magneti Marelli MT 40H- 0.7HP 12V. Thanks, Tim
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambassador "A" model
2019 Moto Guzzi V7III
2013 Ural Gear Up

Online testa_di_formaggio

• New Egg
Re: Marelli starter brushes
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:55:42 PM »
FWIW, years back, when I used to be able to get the Marellis done, my rebuilder couldn't find any brushes, with any ease at least. Instead, he found ones that were close and "cut them down". This worked well. I suspect the metal can be manipulated fairly well. Over time, I don't really recall seeing any out there on the market. So you might consider the modify something existing gig.

As an aside, pay close attention to the condition of the armature. It will "twist", causing the small lamination pieces to come loose, or be possibly lost. At some point, the armature windings can contact the laminations, and cause a momentary short out of the unit. And in many instances, this won't present itself on the bench, rather only under load. If you see the laminations not perfectly inline with each other, (this will be at the front end of the arm), that's evidence of said twisting. Ultimately, I quit having the Marellis rebuilt, as the one place I found domestically to reman the armatures, went out of business. Even when I could get the armatures rebuilt, we were seeing maybe two or three of every ten being usable in a rebuilt starter, and of those remaining, maybe half of the armatures were possible to be rebuilt. 

TdF     

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:00:22 PM »
IIRC, my auto electric guys use Lucas starter brushes. Have a look on ebay, there seems to be quite a few listed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184119617893
« Last Edit: Today at 08:04:12 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Online testa_di_formaggio

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:10:01 PM »
IIRC, my auto electric guys use Lucas starter brushes.

Wouldn't surprise me. Good rebuilders can make just about anything work, or find something that will. They're worth their weight in gold. I checked with my guy, the brushes he modified were for Motorola units.

TdF

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:10:01 PM »

Online tparr

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:41:23 PM »
The measurement of the brushes are 7mm x 13.5mm x approx 20mm. I think I will end up having to customize some brushes of a similar thickness. I appreciate the input.
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambassador "A" model
2019 Moto Guzzi V7III
2013 Ural Gear Up

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here