Author Topic: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !  (Read 1035059 times)

spgott

Re: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !
« Reply #990 on: September 11, 2013, 10:41:45 AM »
Steve - you anywhere near the northeast corner of the state?  Would be great to meet up with another Guzzi rider.

-Steve

Offline ritratto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #991 on: September 11, 2013, 11:33:57 AM »
Ted Brown here. 59  Artist, carpenter and self-employed person since 1981.

Native Texan and have owned five Guzzi in my time. Started with a '98 Centauro (new) and then a '93 1000S. Then I rebuilt a '78 G5 that met a bad end and replaced by a '03 LeMans and am now rebuilding another round fin custom. Love the Guzzi and still have three.

1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans

Offline skromfols

• Gosling
New Guzzi owner
« Reply #992 on: September 13, 2013, 10:25:19 AM »
I'm Stan Kromfols, a long time motorcycle rider.  My first bike was a new Honda 305 Superhawk, and I've been riding ever since.  I presently have a 1998 Honda Valkyrie set up for touring and a 2008 Triumph America with many modifications.  I live in Northern Kalifornia right at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountain range and have great motorcycle roads in every direction from my front door.  My latest purchase is a 2004 Moto Guzzi Nevada.  I've added a windshield and package rack and will be adding saddle bags soon.  I'm looking forward to learning more about my Guzzi from those at this forum and hope to meet other Guzzi riders in my area.

As an aside, can anyone tell me how to post a new topic?  I've spent 45 minutes trying to figure that out with no success.  Also, how do you post a pic?  I have a pic of my new Guzzi be can't seem to post it here.

Stan

98 Valkyrie
08 Triumph America
05 Moto Guzzi Nevada

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
Re: New Guzzi owner
« Reply #993 on: September 13, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »
I'm Stan Kromfols, a long time motorcycle rider.  My first bike was a new Honda 305 Superhawk, and I've been riding ever since.  I presently have a 1998 Honda Valkyrie set up for touring and a 2008 Triumph America with many modifications.  I live in Northern Kalifornia right at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountain range and have great motorcycle roads in every direction from my front door.  My latest purchase is a 2004 Moto Guzzi Nevada.  I've added a windshield and package rack and will be adding saddle bags soon.  I'm looking forward to learning more about my Guzzi from those at this forum and hope to meet other Guzzi riders in my area.

As an aside, can anyone tell me how to post a new topic?  I've spent 45 minutes trying to figure that out with no success.  Also, how do you post a pic?  I have a pic of my new Guzzi be can't seem to post it here.

To post a new topic, you simply click on the post new topic tab at the top right border of the thread listings.  Not at the top of the page but top of the thread listings.  To post a pic you need to host it at a photo hosting website.  I use photobucket.com for mine.  Then you link from that site and post the link in your post.  PB makes it a 2 click affair.  Click on the link on PB to copy the link, then click to paste the link in your post.  Welcom aboard, we love pics!!! :PICS!: :PICS!:
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Wildguzzi.com

Re: New Guzzi owner
« Reply #993 on: September 13, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »

business_casual

« Reply #994 on: September 13, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »
Hi, Eric here - from Atlanta.

I started out on a Honda 50 first time I rode, then a Combat Wombat later on; first time on my own street bike was a Yamaha SE 500 ER.  I eventually moved on to 600 Bandit, YZF-R6 and my last one was a GSXR-750.

Now that I'm old, I need something a little easier on the joints and bones, so I'm thinking Cafe Racer or Stone.  I hope to learn a lot about Guzzis here and decide soon.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #995 on: September 13, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »
Either one will make your face cramp from grinning like a fool.  :D  Welcome aboard, ;-T and post lots of  :PICS!: :PICS!: :PICS!:
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #996 on: September 13, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »
Welcome Eric. Have to agree with Stormtruck: the smallblock Guzzi's are not particularly powerful but they have a smooth even power delivery and flickability through the corners that will leave you with facial rictus from all the grinning.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Michael H

« Reply #997 on: September 14, 2013, 10:57:16 AM »
Hi from Cambodia. Been on site for a bit but never did this intro thing.
Originally from UK and been into 2 wheeled vehicles for decades.
First thing I crashed was a Vespa 50 in 1982. Put me in hospital with bust leg and provided me with a plate and screws as a memento for a couple of years.  Had a Vespa 90 and a 1962 Lambretta Li 125 series 3. Had a Lambretta TV 175 frame. Got rid of the Vespa quick but kept the Lambretta for years. Sorry I sold it but outgrew it in more ways than one. Gave the TV frame away as we were won't to back in the 80s.
Been running around on a trusty old Suzuki Dr250 for past 5 years here in Phnom Penh. Driving here is like being in a video game. Extremely dangerous. Lots of idiots. Coming at you from 360 degrees. Like motorized ballet. Dropped it a couple of times in the mud and been knocked off it by a speeding  idiot overtaking on my left as I was turning left. Been all over the country on it. Old but handles great.
Picked up a Guzzi NTX650 couple years ago. First Guzzi. Great bike. Comfortable, stable, eager. Great acceleration for what it is. When it's working. Huge 30 litre fuel tank. Think it's 1992 and ex UNTAC. Been off road for over a year and hope to get it back out soon. Couple of other NTX 650s in same Nato olive drab colour scheme were spirited off to Vietnam and don't know what became of them.
Have caught the Guzzi bug and just imported a 1986 Cali II from France. Only one in the country if not the region.

saladin

« Reply #998 on: September 14, 2013, 11:55:31 PM »
Jason, 39, Melbourne Australia.

Turning 40 soon. Next bike aiming to be a "keeper" ie - still have it in 30 years - so it must be one or more of a bit classical, special, unique etc. Not sure on timeframe ( read: finances!!  :D) but a couple of Guzzis on the potentials list.

BadMonk

« Reply #999 on: September 15, 2013, 05:30:29 PM »
Hi Folks,

Name: John

danketchpel

« Reply #1000 on: September 16, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a new Guzzi owner as of last June. This 2013 Stelvio NTX is my first Guzzi and I think it will stay in the garage for along time. I have always wanted to own a Guzzi ever since riding a friend's 850 T3 back in the early '80s. Things finally came together for me with the Stelvio and I pulled the trigger on it, and I'm so happy I did.

Here's a photo of me with the bike during our recent trip to Colorado, the bike performed perfectly. My wife and I are looking forward to many more road trips on it.

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1001 on: September 17, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »
Not a Guzzi owner yet, but returning to riding after many years away. I forgot that I was no longer 28 when I purchased a Ducati sportbike this spring, and though I love riding it, my back can't take that anymore. But the Moto Guzzi Eldorados and Ambassadors have long been my Holy Grail bike. Even a non-pristine one like Vonhatch's pictured above makes me jealous.

Therefore... I recently test rode a California 1400 and really liked it--big, smooth, powerful and comfortable. I'm right in the Road King/Softail Deluxe demographic--ugh, right?--but no way will I get a me-too Harley. I've joined the forum to look for advice (including what people don't like) about the new big Guzzi.

If I buy the California, I look forward to being a contributor to this forum and not just a lurker/asker. This is a really good resource.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

recycler

« Reply #1002 on: September 18, 2013, 04:41:30 PM »
Hello all!
Im Brad Green. I live in NW Arkansas and I am an operator at a power plant. I've got several bikes but only one Guzzi, a 68 v700.  I got it non running after a 15 year storage. I got the cyls rechromed and am planning on buttoning the engine back up Monday. I hope to have it ready for a test ride in a few weeks.
 Jim King from this board lives just a few miles from me and has been a big help with used parts and information.

Offline airheadmike

• New Egg
« Reply #1003 on: September 18, 2013, 09:34:52 PM »
Mike Boyles
61 Married
Industrial air systems tech.
Hobbies - anything mechanical
'02 Calif. Special Sport
listening to the machine

Slitch

« Reply #1004 on: September 19, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
Been lurking here for a month or two while reviving and then titling/tagging my new Guzzi. Now that it's road legal and seemingly running fine I reckon it's time I say Hi and introduce myself.

Been riding a 2003 Suzuki GSF600S (Bandit) - 51,000 miles, 4-cylinders, carburator, tall and heavy.

Recently I purchased, from a friend, a 2004 Guzzi Breva 750 IE with 1,400 miles on it.

The Breva had been in a parking garage for 5 years, and was serviced 2 years ago. In those 5 years, there were zero miles put on it. Fearful that everything would be seized up, I spent a month replacing hoses, fuel and oil, battery, air filter, removed the evap can (kinda had to since the gas vapors deteriorated the tank breather hose and pressure valve), checked the plugs, electrics, disassembled and looked over the in-tank fuel pump, and lubed the pistons.  Only then did I attempt to turn it over.

It's been a great learning experience and I finally feel like I have a handle on this Italian beast! Coming from a 4-banger with carbs, I have no idea how this thing is supposed to run, but it seems to be running well. I've got some concerns about how it starts and behaves when cold, but if I can't get that resolved in the next few weeks I'll probably post something here for help. I'm optimistic that it's just old fuel still burning off.

Nice to be here, glad to have an online source for Guzzi's, considering my nearest Guzzi mechanic is 1.5 hours away. :)

-- Ken
-- Newark, DE

dstantstar

« Reply #1005 on: September 19, 2013, 06:55:40 PM »
Bob here, been coming on the site now for a few days trying to get my feet wet
Moved from NYC to Albuquerque NM, guess I'm a Southern boy now. Howdy Y'all
Hobbies: Travel, Flying, Skiing, Sailing, Martial Arts, Shooting, Piano, HiFi, watching my Tomatoes not grow
Mistakes: Buying unreliable cars, Sunbeam, Fiat, Renault to name a few (a morgan was offered to me, I refused. Guess I suffered enough)
Bikes: Just picked up a Centauro
          75 Kawasaki Z1B
          76 Kawaskai KZ900
Job: I'm glad to have one
Wife: A great cook and classical pianist. She makes me laugh.

NewGoose939

« Reply #1006 on: September 19, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »
Kevin Nelson
CRNA
Birmingham, AL
52 year old fan of Kentucky & Louisville hoops and Auburn Football

First-time Guzzi owner. Picked it up when I was going to buy a Triumph

tat2guy

« Reply #1007 on: September 20, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »
Greetings, Everyone!
My name is Donno, I go by Tat2guy on most internet forums, as I have been a professional tattooer for 15 years, and I recently inherited a 1972 Ambassador. It belonged to the man who taught me to tattoo, and has been in storage ever since he died, 12 years ago. Recently his family decided it was time to empty out the storage facility with all his stuff in it, and asked if I wanted it... What am I, an idiot? Heck yeah, I wanted it! Very long story short, it was transported from NJ to Philadelphia, then from Philly to Western North Carolina, where I just bought a farm, and where I and a good friend will be restoring it.
It was never properly prepared for long term storage, so the tank is full of rust and shellac, so after ordering a Chilton manual, the first order of business was taken care of today- I ordered a POR-15 cycle tank repair kit, and I joined this forum. Spent most of the day browsing it, too...

So my buddy is an excellent mechanic, and I have very little experience in this department, but I am a quick learner, and have assisted on many kinda similar projects, like rebuilding a transmission on a Triumph Spitfire, so I'm certainly not shy about getting grease under my fingernails. I've owned two bikes before this one, a 1982 Yamaha Virago XV920 J, and a 1976 Yamaha XS650, but, honestly, don't have a tremendous amount of road time on them. Now that I live in the mountains, however, instead of Philadelphia, riding is a whole different proposition, and once the Guzzi is up and running, I imagine it will be hard to get me off it...

Anyway, thanks for adding me to the forum, and I thank you in advance for any and all insights I'm sure you will provide me on this project.

That Guy,
Donno

Here she is the day my friend Vinnie rescued her from the storage unit:

And at his garage:

I don't think that's street legal:

And here I am, wishing she was running:

TribeFan

« Reply #1008 on: September 22, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »
Hi...My name is Tom Weirs, 43 from Akron Ohio.  I am an account manager for Chicago Tube and Iron in beautiful Northeast Ohio!  I am in the market for a 2012 MG Norge and look forward to being a member.

nose2wind

« Reply #1009 on: September 23, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »
David Viosca, 58, Frisco, TX.  09 Stelvio (Bruce Brown old bike), 2000 V11S

delboy

« Reply #1010 on: September 24, 2013, 09:28:34 PM »
Derek Sennett, 52,
Alberta, Canada
2007 California Vintage - had it about 3 weeks now.
Have always liked Guzzi's with that engine sticking out of the side but never quite got around to buying one. Saw a Vintage and decided it was the best looking bike I had ever seen. Have always ridden crotch rockets so its a bit of a change to say the least. Its a hell of a lot of fun and definitely a keeper.

Offline Ace100

• New Egg
« Reply #1011 on: September 25, 2013, 01:01:51 AM »
Beale Dabbs, 51.  Realtor and musician (guitar and electronics).  I split time between Fullerton, CA and Landers (near Joshua Tree)

I've been riding since my dad bought me a Yamaha Mini Enduro for my 9th birthday.  I grew up around desert racing during the golden age of California desert racing in the 1970's, although I didn't race myself.  Rode dirt until 16, and then mopeds, scooters and small bikes on the street until my mid 20's before quitting altogether. 

I came back to riding 10 years ago with a purchase of a KLR650 that I built up into the ultimate KLR (minus the 705 kit that I never got around to installing).  Developed Motorcycle Acquisition Syndrome and sold it off to buy a 650 V-Strom.  I never made a connection with that bike.  Too ugly, big and boring.  Never buy a motorcycle that you don't look back at after you've parked it. 

Got up to 4 bikes (a plated XR400, 77' GL1000, Yamaha AT1, scooters and such) but didn't really have the bike that fit my requirements of vintage-ish, good long distance tourer but not a moto-sofa, relatively light and easy to work on.  I like to solo tour 2000-2500 miles trips a couple of times a year.  I usually bootleg camp off the highway and up dirt roads.  Whatever I bought I had to be able to pick up myself.

There was an ad in craigslist that kept calling to me for a 1983 California II that had knobbies installed for it's former duty as a sidecar tug.  Love. at. first. sight.  The ad stayed up long enough for me to finally break down and buy it:

More here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/78842104@N00/sets/72157635127577084/

The more I work on it, the more I love it and am sure that I have hit upon the right bike for how I ride.

JohnLClark

« Reply #1012 on: September 27, 2013, 01:11:24 AM »
Joe Cardinale 46

SW Pa.
Single
Cook or Chef depending on who you ask.

Been riding off and on for about 10 years.  Always wanted a Guzzi since I saw a Daytona up close when it first came out. 
Looking for something I can fix this winter, then enjoy next spring. 

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #1013 on: September 27, 2013, 08:21:16 AM »
Hi All!

New Guzzi owner here!

I have been lurking for a while and have already gotten some great info from the site.  I'm enrolled now and hopefully more great stuff to come.

I live in beautiful Asheville, NC~~ one of the best places on earth! I've lived and worked all over NC, MT, VA, & Costa Rica.

I am a 36yr old chef. Work in contract food service now (Hospital/healthcare) but my background is all luxury resorts, hotels, and indy resturants.  I'm a big BBQ guy (obviously).

My riding background was a number of dirtbikes, gocarts, & mopeds as a kid; my dad is also a Harley nut.
Just decided to get a street bike and check it out... Loving it so far!

I additionaly used to race bicycles (road & Mtn) and was service manager and wrench in bike shops around NC back in the early 2000's

My bike is a 1984 V65sp that I bought "95%" restored and customized. I am piddling with the remaining issues now...  It's perfect; enough issues to keep me busy with projects, but rideable and enjoyable now :-)

It's got a 'C' tank and seat, Lario pipes, custom Alum side panels...  Other than that pretty much stock.

it's a lot of fun , if I could just staunch the oil leaks I'd be golden!

Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Remy

« Reply #1014 on: September 28, 2013, 05:39:54 AM »
Hi folks, I am from the UK and just ordered my first Guzzi - a V7 Stone in black.  My previous bike, a Suzuki Gladius, sadly met her maker while crossing a slippery ford, depositing me on a rock then falling on my leg for good measure, breaking my tib and fib.  She was written off much to my dismay but the lure of biking soon got me hobbling on crutches to the showrooms!  I looked at many but the one that really stood out to me was this bike.  I'm not even a classic fan but something about the style of this has caught my eye!  I haven't even had a test ride, just sat on it with the engine running  ;D.  I have some time to peruse Guzzi sites and decide what accessories I need (or can afford!).  Hope it's not long before I can get in the saddle again, I have to have it lowered as I'm a short @rse (only 5'3" with short legs to match  ::) ) so am having a seat sculpted out and replacement shocks.

I expect I will be asking lots of questions and advice!

trisonic

« Reply #1015 on: September 29, 2013, 09:05:02 AM »
Hi, I'm Pete.

I'm an English musician living within the New York Metroplex. Used to ride 25 (or more) years ago in England now 61 and thought I needed some more thrills.

Have to get my M/C  endorsement in NJ.... Looking at Moto Guzzi, California Custom (the one without all the gubbins on).

Also need to get the wind in my hair, yes, I actually still have hair.

Will swap bike information for guitar/amp information!

Best, Pete.

tarless

« Reply #1016 on: September 29, 2013, 07:35:22 PM »
Hi Anthony, only 17 but don't look a day over 50  ::)
NY state outside of the city a half hour. Currently ride a BWM adventure bike, looking to move on a Griso. Need some actual owner feedback. This bike literally calls me like a siren (not the ones we hear when we speed :)), but there's allot of question marks.

Look forward to some interesting discussion.

A

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #1017 on: October 03, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »
Nathan Appel âge 40  contract photographer and camera builder.   Eldorado '73 Police in process of converting into a 70s style street tracker/superbike    :+=copcar

khuff1

« Reply #1018 on: October 03, 2013, 02:33:32 PM »
     Having just retired this year I bought a 2001 California Special and thought I would reconnect with those that love this make. Spend my free time as Commander of the local VFW. Served two years with the 82nd ABN ten with the Indiana Army Guard and twelve with Indianas Air Guard. With my wife of 40 years we travel nationaly and internationaly on her terms Air and a five star hotel. Thought it time to get back to what I love long twisty roads and enjoying the smells in the air( she says she'll meet me when I get there). Made 2012 Rally late just as they were leaving. Would have liked to have met everyone. Those that hadn't blown away say these rallys are well worth it. Spent 40 years as a line,shop mechanic in a Delmonte plant in Plymouth In. On motorcycles My first was a 73' KAW 500 triple I've since gotten treatment. Dropped down on adrenalin with a 82 650 Yamaha special. In early 90' found the love of my life in a 74' civilian police Eldorado. Still have her and am getting close to starting a restoration of her.    Kevin Huff

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #1019 on: October 03, 2013, 03:42:24 PM »
Quote from: Key Lime Pie
New member here from South Jersey.

I'm a little jealous.  I love the beach towns east of you, and spent many summers in and around OC when I was young.  Also the best corn I've ever eaten was purchased along route 40 on the way there or home from there.  Last time, I started eating an ear in the car, and everyone else thought I was crazy to eat raw corn.  After giving out a few bites, they all were eating raw corn.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:39:01 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here