Author Topic: NGC ever had a nerve block?  (Read 486 times)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
NGC ever had a nerve block?
« on: April 19, 2023, 01:56:29 AM »
Went to the OR at 10 this morning.. the anesthetist was probing my arm pit with ultra sound to locate a nerve in my shoulder, I never even felt the needle poke I musta got the anesthesia just at the right moment.. so the nerve blocker was like Novocain on steroids. My arm from shoulder down is still complete numb 15 hours later. If you never had a nerve blocker, it’s like your arm is a 100 pound dead appendage. Just flops around uncontrolled. Keeps falling out of the sling. I had a two hour nap in the afternoon, now wide awake but my arm is fast asleep🙂 no pain yet and I have some opiates for that when the blocker wears off.
Any way the cubital tunnel release went fine the Dr says and he did a carpal tunnel release on my wrist at the same time. The CTR is where they move the nerve in your funny bone away from the corner of your elbow. I’ve had a pinch there that was painful and numbing my arm after a good workout driving the tractor with snowblower. Had to wait for snow season to end. It’s no laughing matter now, My elbow won’t be funny anymore.😂
Wondering how I can type so well right after surgery? I’m a lefty and can type pretty good with one finger even if all my arms aren’t working. The slit was into my right elbow. I had this same procedure (left side) 4 years ago on workers comp and had desk work for the 3 months before retiring.. this one paid for by Ucare and Medicare.
Wondering why I share the story? Well I’ve surfed the whole web and watched all my recorded videos , still not sleepy. No bike riding for at least a few weeks, tractor stored for the summer. I can still drive my new car one handed, it’s automatic.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 02:06:31 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: NGC ever had a nerve block?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 04:56:35 AM »
Had that done but was for my shoulder, took like 5 shots, like you said nothing but dead weight but after about 16 hours my arm started to Itch and I could not feel my arm, that was a miserable day  :boozing:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 06:24:38 AM »
I’m glad it’s over for you Fotoguzzi. That’s one big snowblower.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline e.cleven

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 06:32:05 AM »

Glad to hear things went well for you Brad. I have had the nerve block myself as well,it's a really weird feeling.
Hope to run into you this summer at a rally, maybe you will be on your Norge.

Ride Safe
Earl

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 06:32:05 AM »

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 07:39:55 AM »
Had nerve block/burn in the facet joints in my neck. It relieved 20 years of debilitating headaches and muscle spasms. Best thing ever.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 08:44:45 AM »
Had one in the back of my leg for a foot injury. The first anesthesiologist couldn't get the needle into the spot need so they had to call in a second one. Of course they both billed my insurance. The multiple attempts with the needle hurt way more than the surgery.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 09:00:41 AM »
I’m glad it’s over for you Fotoguzzi. That’s one big snowblower.
I do 60 driveways in 5 hours, get this..they pay me $70/hour so don’t want to give it up for a little sleepy arm..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 09:02:09 AM »
Had one in the back of my leg for a foot injury. The first anesthesiologist couldn't get the needle into the spot need so they had to call in a second one. Of course they both billed my insurance. The multiple attempts with the needle hurt way more than the surgery.
I had a feeling that was a big needle so glad I don’t remember it..still all tingly after 23 hours but I can wiggle fingers now..got 3 hours sleep.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 02:22:59 PM »
 When I had one of my shoulder surgeries  my wife was in the room when they where looking for the nerve she said I was in so much pain it was hard to watch lucky for me I don't remember it at all. Yes it was strange having your arm just being a dead weight but then the meds wore off......... a bag of frozen peas became my friend. I could not deal with the Oxycodone.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 06:01:21 PM »
Almost 40 years ago I cut through the tendons in my right thumb and fore finger, at the emergency room the doctor said he could use a nerve blocker to reconnect the tendons and stich me up. The plastic surgeon struggled to get the tendons reconnected, he kept loosing grip on the tendon and it would snap back up into my hand.

Over and hour later he said he was running out of time for keeping the blocker on (it was a clamp band if I recall correctly) and before he could finish the blocker was briefly released, a local anesthesia was administered but its effect was minimal, the pain I felt while the surgeon finished was worse than anything I have ever experienced.

If I ever require an operation like that again I will be out cold!
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 08:29:21 PM »
I had the same wrist zip and unler nerve move a while back on my right arm. My jacket armor would press lightly on my elbow and make my arm go dead. I asked if I could watch, they knocked me out cold and that was that. Greatly reduced fatigue on long rides, and being able to feel the brake lever is a good thing.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 08:47:44 PM »
get well FG. 

You're one of the best.  Thanks for being here.

I know that Guzzis are considered tractors.... but that's too literal for me.   :evil:

Get well man.   :thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 05:33:42 PM »
Get well FG.....

I had a spinal for both of my joint replacements, and a nerve block for the hip replacement. The nerve block was brilliant. Was nervous the first 20 hours as my leg still felt dead, but 24 hours later I was glad to have the ice compression machine and the Perc and ocet twins to keep me company.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2023, 08:52:45 AM »
Yes I have for a disc injection in the lower back.

Now I stick to mental floss  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here