Author Topic: Anyone wear goggles over glasses?  (Read 477 times)

Offline dave1068

• Gaggle Mentor
Anyone wear goggles over glasses?
« on: March 19, 2023, 02:21:14 PM »
As my eyes are slowly aging and I find my open face helmet fits better than my full face helmet, curious if any other open face helmet riders wear goggles over their glasses for added protetcion and warmth. If so, were you pleased and what brand-Thanks
Dave
-2020 Moto Guzzi V85tt travel

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
Re: Anyone wear goggles over glasses?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 04:59:31 PM »
I do it all the time when skiing. Plenty of ski goggles are designed to fit over glasses, though you need to try them on -- don't just order something on line and expect it to work.

For the past three or four years I've used Giro Method goggles, but in the past I've used goggles from Smith and Scott with good results. Goggles with plenty of room inside are marked OTG (over-the-glasses).

I have a favorite pair of prescription sunglasses that are very good for wind protection, and in fine weather I often don't bother with goggles. Because this pair of glasses has a widish frame, I had to file down the corners to avoid pressure from the inside of the lens when I do pull the goggles down. You'll know the goggle is too small when you feel pressure on the bridge of your nose, or if, when you take off the goggles, the foam padding snatches the glasses off your face.

For motorcycling, even in dirt, I find the visor works fine to protect my face and glasses. I have an open-face helmet with a good visor. But ATGATT means I use a full-face helmet 90% of the time. I have a Bell Star, but my most comfortable helmet for most riding is my MX9 MIPS. You have to take your glasses off to put the helmet on and off, but I find affordable modular helmets way too heavy and clunky.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline dave1068

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 05:39:30 PM »
Great info, thanks for the reply, lots of helpful info. I have Rx glasses which also turn dark in the sun so goggles may or may not be needed. I suppose if not, a well folded bandana or poor mans mask can keep the cheeks/face warm on cooler days
Dave
-2020 Moto Guzzi V85tt travel

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 05:45:13 PM »
I wear goggles over glasses only off-road.  Nothing special, just some Scott goggles, but the elastic band goes outside the helmet.  Frankly, I find them a pain, but worth the effort.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 05:45:13 PM »

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 06:49:51 PM »
I'm a real fan of Bobster Sport and Street.
(Never tried Sport & Street 2 or 3)
https://www.bobster.com/Sport-Street
They won't fit over glasses but they will accept prescription lenses.
I really like an open face helmet.
These glasses keep out the wind, dust and bugs at any speed.
The frame is vented and they will not fog up as long as you are moving!
I only use them as glasses but they can be worn as goggles with the supplied strap.
Best thing is the lifetime guarantee. The glasses are plastic with glued on neoprene seals. Plastic eventually breaks. Neoprene tears. Just give Bobster a call and tell them who you are, where you live and what you bought. They throw a complete new product in the mail. Done with courtesy and a smile. A true pleasure to deal with.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 08:15:34 PM »
I wore goggles when I raced boats. I made sure I got a pair that fit over my glasses. My local snowmobile shop carries a pretty good selection as do skiing outfitters.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 08:47:22 PM »
I usually wear a 3/4 helmet with a flip up face shield but that can be too warm in the summer. You can get overgalsses meant to be worn over eyeglasses. You see a lot of blue hairs wearing them. Most are sun glasses but you can get them with clear or near clear lenses as well.

Pete

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 09:06:20 PM »
Goggles over glasses give you 4 surfaces to degrade the image quality of what you see. Glasses are bad enough. The extra two surfaces just double the loss of quality.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Papa Lazarou

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 02:34:46 AM »
I had my optician fit prescription lenses into Aviator goggles. Don't actually use them much any more, as my Shoei open face has a drop down visor which means I cab just use glasses. Get the right open face helmet and no goggles are needed.

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 03:22:31 AM »

I always wear a full face, so don't on the bike, but I whear glasses, and I do a lot of work on old cars/trucks, so need to wear extra eye protection when im under stuff. Really as was posted already you really need to try them on first. Some will fit great, and some will not fit at ALL over your glasses.
Paul B

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 10:03:10 AM »
Sledding and skiing: Pro-Vue will make goggles with your Rx built right into the lenses-works perfect.
Scott and Smith make goggles that will accept a small Rx insert installed by the nose piece and your local Doc will have to make some lenses for you-they provide a template so the lab gets the shape correct.
Advantage: no earpiece to worry about.  Not that it matters on bikes, but in the winter the Pro-Vue never fogged up-ever.  Including some -30C temps in upper Ontario.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 03:55:56 PM »

I have exclusively been using Smith OTG "caribou" (PMT) goggles for 20+ years until recently as they are getting hard to find. Used to race xc snowmachine and still travel long distances in winter in the Arctic. I use a variety of tape around the sides and vents to keep cold air out to help prevent fogging. Some foam trim @ temples may be necessary for glasses fit, I have a large face and not all OTG stuff fits my glasses.
For extreme use, dual pane lenses are a must. But warm weather OTG is much easier.
I currently use 509 brand "sinister" goggles with their helmet of the same name as they are built to fit together. Excellent fit but with a $109 price.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 04:03:13 PM by aklawok »
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here