Author Topic: MG Cycle - Thumbs Up!  (Read 23307 times)

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
MG Cycle - Thumbs Up!
« on: April 18, 2015, 06:55:48 PM »
I know it's been said quite a few times on here already, but I just want to say again how lucky we are to have MG Cycle.  Placed an order late Thursday afternoon, it shipped a bit later that same afternoon, and I had a small package sitting on my porch @11AM this morning (Saturday).  Then, to top things off, I had ordered wrong sealing washers and they corrected it and sent me the right ones.  Now I just need to devote a little more garage time to get the LeMans III going.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 06:56:27 PM by Vince in Milwaukee »
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline stmike

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: MG Cycle - Thumbs Up!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 07:09:29 PM »
I had the same positive shipping experience with them, and also found their prices to be about 40% of what my local dealer charges.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 09:08:59 PM »
Kind of miss talking with 'em, or at least one of them.

Rich A

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 09:11:30 PM »
They are prompt and once they know where I am they ship economically.  Never had a miss.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 09:11:30 PM »

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:14:49 PM »
Good folks, and entertaining. I bought some exhausts from them a number of years back, came in a nice box, with labels all over it  "Caution, Fragile, Unicorn inside, Handle with Care" 

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 09:19:11 PM »
I got an order from them packaged in an actual mailing box. They usually find one sitting around the store and tape the crap out of it. I like their service.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:17:25 AM »
As much as I like the other dealers, MG has the best user friendly website with service to match.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Fangit

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 01:32:34 AM »
Considering how well they service you guys in the US it's just a real shame they are too risky for those of us in other countries. They refuse to quote shipping cost before you place and pay for an overseas order. I don't know why they can't advise shipping cost like every other company with online sales. I have heard a few stories from people that have taken the risk and ended up with a very nasty shipping cost surprise.

Luckily there are several other good Guzzi parts/accessory suppliers out there and hopefully MG will get with the times sometime soon.

Joe
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:33:36 AM by Fangit »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 06:55:24 AM »
MG Cycles, Thumbs Down from me.

God bless them and good for you guys who can deal with them. I've had problems with them for years and even an attempt (on my part!) to make amends went off-rails a few years ago.

They are the most rude business people with whom I've ever dealt. I haven't fooled with them for years because of it. I do a lot of work with old Guzzi bikes and I constantly find people in the trade who confirm my bad experiences with MG Cycles.

I am not one prone to have trouble with people and having me say something like this is rare.

We have too many alternatives, much better business people out there where we can spend our money.

Curtis Harper at Harpers and his bunch are fine gentlemen, polite, courteous, friendly and helpful.  Dave Richardson out at Moto International is the same. The list goes on.

If some of you like MG, then fine.  I wish them no harm. Maybe things will change some day.  I am only a (past) customer with money to spend that they have driven away.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:02:13 AM by leafman60 »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 07:03:23 AM »
Just goes to show ya. When you're in business, you can't please everyone. Rick and Gordon have gone out of their way to help me get what I've needed on some of my odd ball projects. Good guys, and really know their stuff..  ;-T
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

dilligaf

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 07:39:36 AM »
I don't think MG Cycle is an authorized Moto Guzzi dealer.  The small amount I save isn't worth it to me.  :BEER:
Matt

canuck750

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »
Rick and Gordon have been absolutely fantastic to deal with over the past 3 or 4 years that I have been purchasing from them. They helped me with so many details on my Eldorado and V7 Sport rebuilds. When I have ordered something that they think I may have gotten wrong they always call and walk me through what I am working on and what I may actually need, and they have always been right in their assumptions. Shipping has been very fast and trouble free to Canada, and they go out of their way to make sure my order gets processed as soon as possible.

They are not alone in being very helpful, Harpers' is right up there and I have even bought a few things from HMB in Germany form time to time. I think it is the web site that MG Cycle has built that sets them apart for speed and simplicity of ordering.

Being in business is not an easy thing (I can honestly say that as being a small business owner) and retail, especially for something as fickle as motorcycle parts must be a daily challenge, so I tip my hat to anyone who can keep an operation that caters to enthusiasts a going concern. Everyone has bad days and I would sure like to fire some of my clients from time to time but in business the customer is always right, even when they are not on their best day.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:17:49 AM by canuck750 »

dilligaf

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »
Harpers is listed as a MG dealer.  Think of it as dealer support.  ;-T  :BEER:
Matt

Moto

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 12:15:34 PM »
That's like saying you'll only go to authorized MGNOC events.

Harpers isn't an authorized dealer either.  But MG sells genuine parts to both of them, so why does it matter?

Based on what I've been told by them, MG Cycle gets its parts through other channels, never from Moto Guzzi directly. Often they can get the same parts that are supplied OEM to Moto Guzzi, but often not.

Moto

P.S. Though one of the staff can be crusty at times, I've never found them anything but helpful.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:16:28 PM by Moto »

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 12:18:59 PM »
They're the best. 

I keep worrying that one day, Gordon is going to get fed up with my impossible requests and tell me to take a hike.  Hasn't happened.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline Mike Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • harpermoto.com
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 04:15:39 PM »
I'm just going by what the Harper's crew have said on the forum here.  I'm guessing they would know.

Harpers isn't an authorized dealer either.  But MG sells genuine parts to both of them, so why does it matter?

Rodekyll;  Why don't you get a life and quit spouting BS

dilligaf

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »
Hi Mike.  ;D Wondered where you were.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline gwb_mg

• Pemberton Twp, NJ
  • Gosling
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »
They're the best. 

I keep worrying that one day, Gordon is going to get fed up with my impossible requests and tell me to take a hike.  Hasn't happened.
No chance of that, he has put up with me for years also, he's a tough bird.
2014 Cali Touring (current)
1984 Cali II "Auto" (current)
1980 Convert (current)
1976 Convert
1981 Convert
2002 Cali EV Touring (back in Boston)
2004 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory (back in Boston)

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 06:16:17 PM »
No chance of that, he has put up with me for years also, he's a tough bird.

He's also the cranky one.  They've been nothing but good to me, and their web site is second to non for finding parts and easy ordering.  Red light green light!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »
He's also the cranky one.  They've been nothing but good to me, and their web site is second to non for finding parts and easy ordering.  Red light green light!

Rick is normally the "cranky" one, though he was downright chatty last time I called. Both guys have always been great to deal with in all the years I've been buying from them.

Knowing if the part is in stock when I order is invaluable to me. Beats placing an online order, waiting several days expecting it to ship, only to get a call that 3/4ths of the order is out of stock.  >:( I know - I should call to place my order...  ::) 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:59:34 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 06:52:19 PM »
Rick is the "cranky" one, though he was downright chatty last time I called. Both guys have always been great to deal with in all the years I've been buying from them.

Knowing if the part is in stock when I order is invaluable to me. Beats placing an online order, waiting several days expecting it to ship, only to get a call that 3/4ths of the order is out of stock.  >:( I know - I should call to place my order... 

I stand corrected. Must have caught Gordon on a bad day recently.  Still, he took good care of me with an issue I had with one of their parts.  I can only imagine the grief they must catch from people around the globe.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 06:53:38 PM »
I don't think MG Cycle is an authorized Moto Guzzi dealer.  The small amount I save isn't worth it to me.  :BEER:
Matt

I call BULL SHIT....  ;D

Take a look here: http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/find-dealer/index.html

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 07:13:16 PM »
I apologize, Mike.  And I'm pulling the comment.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:17:00 PM by rodekyll »

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 07:17:34 PM »
I call BULL SHIT....  ;D

Paul

Probably allows them to sell MG parts, they don't sell bikes.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

Offline MotoGuzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »
Cranky Dick, yea that's the ticket! ;D

dilligaf

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 09:10:09 PM »
Probably allows them to sell MG parts, they don't sell bikes.

If that is true it's very disappointing.    Moto Guzzie of NA is screwing over their dealers.  Not exactly what you would call support.  :BEER:
Matt

Moto

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 10:37:05 PM »
I call BULL SHIT....  ;D

Paul

You don't make any sense. MG Cycle is not listed at the link you posted, and never has been. (Evidently you didn't bother to look.) It's not a dealer nor an authorized Moto Guzzi parts supplier. They used to have an explicit statement to that effect on their site or maybe their invoices, but I can't find it now.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:38:20 PM by Moto »

Offline mach1mustang351

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 11:34:10 PM »
I got a load of parts from them the other day.  I have ordered twice and have had good experience.  I am still fairly new to the guzzi world but I have found that sometimes you have to diversify your sources because of availability etc.  I consider MG a go to when I need something. 

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 12:25:03 AM »
Guys, MG Cycle is a parts house. Harper's is, from what I have gleaned over the years, a dealer. They had/have an acrimonious relationship with the home office which is complicated. Whatever, if I needed parts, I would go with either one.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

dilligaf

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 06:50:55 AM »
It's more of a warranty issue than anything else.  I would hate to put their parts in a motorcycle under warranty and have that part be cause of a failure.  :BEER:
Matt

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here