Author Topic: Newbie Intro and VIN # Question  (Read 2740 times)

vino

Newbie Intro and VIN # Question
« on: June 10, 2016, 09:23:23 PM »
Hey all, my name is Matt, I live in the foothills of Northern Colorado, have a great wife of 10 years, a St.Bernard that, well, somehow makes me feel smarter while covering me in drool, an Alaskan Malamute that would eat literally anything you offer, and 3 house/outdoor cats that can't decide whether they want in or out.

41'st b-day coming up soon so decided I'd like to ride again. Last 2 bikes were Harleys, first a 883 Sporty then a 96in Street Bob. Loved the Bob but just couldn't justify making the payments while it sat in the garage all winter, which is pretty long up here at about 8,000 ft.

So, I've been checking out the Guzzi's and they look great! Affordable, reliable, easy to work on (I hope, no problem with fluid/filter changes; Used to adjust the valves on my '62 VW double cab pickup truck every month, after about the 3rd time it became pure joy, once I got the hang of it.)

Tomorrow (6/11/2016) I'm planning on purchasing a 2016 V7II Stone. Never had a bike w/ ABS and Traction Control and am a little curious about that. Besides that, I love it. Don't care about tons of horse power, like the decent torque values at lower RPM's, and I really like the style of the bike.

My question is: Just to be safe I contacted my insurance agent and gave him the VIN# of the bike. Unfortunately it didn't show up in his system. I've had this guy as my agent for over 10 years and he's never seen anything like this. I'm getting this new bike from a dealer that has been around for a while so I think there's no way this can't be legit.

Anyway, sorry 'bout the long post. I'm very excited to join the MG community. You guy's and gal's seem way more fun than some of the other bike forums, wink wink.

oldbike54

Re: Newbie Intro and VIN # Question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:31:26 PM »
 You aren't the first person this has happened to . Most insurance companies don't know a Moto Guzzi from a bowl of potato soup .

Welcome to the family  :bike-037:

Dusty

vino

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 09:52:11 PM »
Thanks Dusty, back in the day in Detroit Michigan I worked at restaurant that made some of the best potato soup ever. Throw some salami, sharp cheddar and some scallions on it and I could eat that all day.

However, I have full trust in my insurance agent. Been with him for over 10 years, and he's really been there. Even when we got evacuated for one of the largest forest fires in Colorado's recorded history he was there to help us out. And all the trucks, motorcycles, etc. that we've had. I'm not going to name any names/companies but I've been really happy with this guy. But sure, it could be with the corporation, maybe, but they are known for being good too.

Anyways, my agent still got me proof of insurance within a couple hours, with the VIN# that's stamped on the NEW 2016 V7 II Stone that I'll be hopefully riding home tomorrow with a big smile on my face.

Don't think this will pose any problems in the future, as long as the title and bike's VIN match. Maybe getting plates or resale later on down the line? Anyways, glad to be here.

Cheers!

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 10:00:10 PM »
 Yes , the problem is with the company . Once it is in the system you won't have any issues . I know personally of a case where one of the majors decided a Moto Guzzi was a Moto Morini , and on top of that they rated the bike in the same category as a 1000 CC sport bike . This was a 1972 Ambassador, hardly a high performance bike .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 10:00:10 PM »

vino

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 10:29:46 PM »
Well that's a load off my shoulders, thank you. Insurance and financing is all taken care of, but I was worried about registration and plates. Thank you for the information.

Soooooo.......even though I have gray hairs in my beard, I am very excited to own a 2016 V7 II Stone to ride!

Well, I'm sure it's been said in this forum before so I apologize, but I'm picking her up tomorrow and I live 50 miles and 3 thousand feet elevation above the dealer, so what do you suggest for the break-in? I'm thinking zig-zag through Fort Collins not to slow not to fast, then on the highway just accelerate/decelerate and maybe take a little stop at the midway for a beer to let her cool down?

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 10:43:18 PM »
Vino, your break in plan sounds just fine.
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

vino

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 11:18:28 PM »
Thanks Dave, can't wait. Just like the old VW trucks I was in to, I just like air cooled machinery. I hope that someday I can be a contributor on this forum. You have a plethora of bikes and knowledge. I've spend hours (days?) admiring pics of Moto Guzzis. Is there any good advice you or anyone could give to a newbie Moto Guzzi V7 rider? I'll be sure to post pics of my new ride very shortly. Very excited!

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 11:43:27 PM »
The DMV office will probably not have a record of the model when you go to get tags.

If it's a 17 digit number beginning with ZGU, you'll be good.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

pete roper

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 12:22:08 AM »
Don't be too gentle on it during its break in period. At least a few full throttle pulls in one gear higher tan might seem right is very good for bedding in the rings.

Pete

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 03:51:55 AM »
As a former VW mechanic I can tell you that aside from being a split case, underpowered and overheated, there isn't a lot in common between a smallblock guzzi and your double-cab.  To enjoy the deep running similarities between a VW pickup and a Guzzi you'd need a '69 Ambassador.  Then you have all the overheated, underpowered, clattery stuff plus timing gears and a lot of oil, marginal charging system, fussy wheel bearings, and spooky brakes.  Exact same suspension.  Interchangeable, I think.  Nearly the same cargo room if you set them up right.  Yup, a loop would make you feel right at home.  I often went camping with either and forgot which on account of I couldn't tell the difference.   :thumb:

Otherwise, welcome.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 05:44:04 AM »
It's NOT a Harley, so don't lug it.

The V7 tends to like to run about 1k higher than a Sportster, or almost 2k higher than a BT, especially under heavier loads (climbing grades).

On flat ground you might run it as low as 3k, by you'll likely spend more time closer to 4k.

It's a great bike, one of my all time favorites.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 06:08:30 AM »
Torque the head bolts at the 1st service, make sure the oil filler/dipstick is screwed in snugly and that the clutch cable is properly adjusted, and your V7II will give you many many enjoyable, trouble-free miles.  As we say in Ireland, Mazel tov!
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

twowings

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 06:45:05 AM »
Warning: Your wife may become jealous of the constant smile on your face!  :thumb:

Congratulations and welcome...

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 07:26:34 AM »
    I had a similar situation with my Dairyland agent.

Although he gave me a very good insurance rate, getting Dairyland to recognize my 1983 Moto Guzzi in their system, took innumerable phone conversations and time.

John

1983 Moto Guzzi Le Mans III
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 07:26:58 AM »
Welcome to the pack! You're a lucky dog being up near the poudre, that's my favorite part of Colorado. My old guzzi has 6 numbers in the vin had the ins co all confused. Have fun!

Oh, if your a dog person you'll get along with most here!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:28:26 AM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

vino

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 01:00:16 AM »

Happy as can be. Ride home up the mountain was fantastic. Didn't baby her but didn't rider her too hard either. Felt great, plenty of low end torque for the hills. Just gotta get used to the single turn signal that doesn't auto-cancel. Had a VW behind me for about a minute probably wondering what the heck I was doing. Luckily my wife was in front of me in the truck and flashed turn signals to let me know! Ha! Anyways, I really enjoyed riding my new Moto Guzzi V7II Stone home today and can't wait to ride it more. Thanks for all the welcomes! You guys crack me up!

Offline organfixsing

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 02:54:59 AM »
I don'know if it a problem on American V7IIs but in Oz it seems that the pre-delivery is poor and the gear lever is in the wrong place, necessitating changing gear with the side of your boot.
The usual fix for this would be to take the gear lever off and remount it in the correct position on the splines.
One problem: There are no splines.
 The adjustment is on a connecting rod behind the frame from the gear lever up to the gearbox.
This rod (I can't remember the correct name) has two lock-nuts (I think 10mm spanner).
The top nut is left-hand thread and the lower is right-hand thread.
Loosen the lock-nuts and spin the rod by hand to achieve a usable position for the gear lever, then, lock up the lock-nuts.
It makes for a much more pleasurable ride.
I didn't like the suspension on mine and changed it for IKON rear units and IKON progressive fork springs and 10W fork oil.
Much nicer in my opinion.

Cheers

Brian :grin: :grin:
If you remove the wings of a fly, does that make it a walk?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here