Author Topic: Oddity w/MM and Battery?  (Read 1342 times)

bpreynolds

Oddity w/MM and Battery?
« on: January 13, 2019, 08:34:16 AM »
Hey all, I was testing the new battery - and also wanting to see if charging system was up to par.  I’d never done any multimeter testing on my 950 in the last 30k miles so I have nothing to compare it to but I did seek some input from the boards there, but also wanted to ask here.  From my little understanding of mm test and charging system behavior combined with what I can learn online specifically about the 950, it seems like most everything is doing okay in general except one thing, and this may be due to my misunderstanding of the way charging systems work. 

But anyhow, after depleting surface Tender charge off battery, battery seems good with standing charge holding at about 12.5 to 12.7ish.  Cranking it dips a bit into lower 10s but upon idle goes back up to around 14.1 -14.3ish.  But here’s the curiosity.  I would expect when I rev the bike for the voltage to slightly go up, right???  But instead, it slightly goes down to like very upper 13s to 14, then at idle back up to the 14.1-14.3.  Explain this to me?  Indication of something wrong?  Or, indication of it being fine?  If fine, maybe explain to me why it goes down when revved?  In a very minimal way, just trying to better understand charging systems. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 08:35:08 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Oddity w/MM and Battery?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 09:30:19 AM »
First, I will say you are lucky that it charges at idle.  Many bikes don't.   

According to my research you really need an ammeter to determine the health of the charging system.

The voltmeater will let you know if your voltage regulator is functioning correctly.

May be that there is more load on the system when you are revving? 

Really just posting here so I will be alerted of replies from those with actual expertise instead of just online searching.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 10:24:24 AM »
I'm not familiar with the 950 regulator and rectifier.
But.

At idle, the power pulses from the alternator are slow. At  high revs, those pulses speed up. No doubt the regulator AND your meter, are reacting to the ripple on the battery differently at different speeds.

Easiest way to tell is to attach an oscilloscope to the system and look at the ACTUAL voltage.

Looked at another way. The alternator output at low RPM struggles to get to say 14.3V. So the alternator spends a LOT of time turned on at near 14.3V, and the regulator seldom switches it off. The alternator is on say 80% of the time. You measure 14.3V. But at high RPM, the current is much higher. The voltage quickly goes over 14.3V and the regulator quickly turns if off. The alternator spends a LOT of time turned off now, with only the short duration spikes over 14.3V. The alternator is  on say 10% of the time. Your meter does not measure those short spikes at high voltage and only measures the lower battery voltage where the alternator is off most of the time.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:27:22 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:27:50 AM »

Sounds pretty normal to me. For some really fun reading Google Ohms Law and delve into the abyss.  Basically voltage will drop as amperage increases with the resistance remaining the same. Very slightly but you are seeing it in your MM. If you have access to an amp conductor for your MM you'll get all the info you need.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:27:50 AM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here