Author Topic: SOS - Windows 10 mouse has lost it's mind ...  (Read 901 times)

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
SOS - Windows 10 mouse has lost it's mind ...
« on: November 26, 2020, 01:08:38 AM »
Hello all, from Left Coast Southernmost in southern north america -

I am in semi quarantine Insane Diego, lucky enough to be working from home since March.

The work laptop is behaving just fine, the home desktop has ... issues.

I have experimented with two mice - one wireless, one USB. Currently they are both hooked up.

I have -

cleaned USB plugins
updated mouse drivers
run antivirus
loaded/run Malwarebytes with zero excitement found
endured a massive Windows update
run TweakNow Reg Cleaner
adjusted mouse sensitivity and response speeds
verified buttons are not reversed in settings

Of course, I've not set the valves or changed the oil, but it's coming down to that soon.

The left mouse button does not properly deal with drop down menus, which means Excel and many other useful tools are out of reach.

When I try to open something in another window, it does that and also opens it in the original window

One click on the back arrow acts as two clicks and takes me not only back one page, but then another to the page I was on before that.

I cannot highlight something and then click on it - as soon as I release the button the highlight goes away.

I cannot afford a new computer at the moment, so I'll need figure out this one.

Any counsel appreciated - the interweb does not contain any posts from anybody with this exact set of symptoms.

Thanks all, and ride 'em if you got 'em, and work on 'em if it's too cold or wet.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:12:36 AM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: SOS - Windows 10 mouse has lost it's mind ...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 07:57:07 AM »
and did it have all these symptoms before the massive windows update?

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 10:55:46 AM »
Try a different keyboard. It sounds like a stuck key or something is altering mouse behavior.
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »
 The mouse doesn't like you.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 02:25:42 PM »
Yes, it had all those symptoms prior to the Windows update -

Yes, I've tried the working mouse from the work computer -

I'm now trying a different keyboard - did not affect the mouse issue though -

I have been reluctant to do a system restore to an earlier date until I worked through every/anything else ...

:sad: :sad:

EDIT - Oh, and that second sad face above? I only clicked once ...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 02:26:26 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 02:57:47 PM »
Norman.. I've never had an issue with system restore. I don't think you will hurt anything. As to your problem..I'm clueless, of course.. my usual condition.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 03:07:25 PM »
You could try on the backplate of the motherboard switch either to the blue (USB3) from the black USB (USB2) ports or the opposite of whichever you are pluged into.
You can also delete and reinstall the USB drivers.

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 03:11:09 PM »
You could also try booting into safe mode by hitting the F8 key repeatedly on boot. Then see if the mouse has the same behaviour.

Online grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 03:20:42 PM »
It couldn't be anything as simple as the mouse needing a new battery or the little led tracking light (on the bottom side of the mouse) needing a cleaning with a q-tip, could it?  Maybe remove the plug in that is in the USB port, delete the software that runs the mouse then plug in that little sending unit back into the USB port and see if it will recognize the mouse and work properly?  Sorry I don't have more to offer...  Let us know what works.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 05:35:06 PM »
Try another OS.
Linux Mint?

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 05:57:56 PM »
Quote from: norm
two mice - one wireless, one USB. Currently they are both hooked up.

Norm,
Running a wireless and a wired mouse simultaneously (as you've said) is an unusual approach.  So, to be clear: does each mouse (only one connected at a time) produce the identical error with the left key?

over time, an electrical-contact problem is routine and easily solved, but if both your devices produce the same discrepant result, then that's an entirely different thing.  Check for the easy problem, first.

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 07:05:30 PM »
The 2 mice in conflict with each other? Remove one.

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 08:10:13 PM »
Thanks [stubbie], I tried that, and each of them independently does it.

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 08:38:36 PM »
Sounds like your left mouse button is double clicking for some reason. I think there is a double click speed setting. Or maybe the click lock got turned on.

-AJ
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 08:40:30 PM by AJ Huff »
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »
Hey Norm,       I was having problems getting my desk top to boot up and having similar mouse(sometimes late in day keyboard also) issues (still do to a degree); I thought it might have been from a windows update driver conflict(probable) or that it may have been from a hack because apparently your mouse acting funny with a mind of it's own is one of the first signs.

From the depth of the bowels of my system, I somehow determined that there had been a history of some logged graphics cards errors, probably due to heat from dirt and a poor connection, or possible driver conflict,,, I will be cleaning the dust out and making sure all the cards inside are nice and tight, but for now I'm leaving my machine turned on, keeping it well defragged and my cache cleaned regularly, and keeping it disconnected from the internet when I don't need it; it seems to have fixed itself, 98% fwiw.

Go through your system tools/hardware ? and make sure that your peripherals are all recognized and working properly.

Keep your cache cleaned up, I seem to notice my mouse and keyboard getting flakier towards the end of the day, idk.

I've also had that funky try to launch a new folder when creating & saving a file and it doesn't seem to work, and then I discover that I've created a bunch of new folders and didn't realize it. It usually happens when I'm trying to save a file,,, my work around fix is to go in the back door, manually open up Windows Explorer, create a folder where I need it, then it's already created and in place when I try to save a file from my browser etc, it's a pita but it works.

Ps, remember to go in and clean up all those empty shell new folders,,, I had them all over the damn place, it took me a while to figure out what was going on, lol.

User/hardware errors on my part, are all possibilities, but I'll attribute a portion of the flakiness to Billy G's onerous OS, and it's just pushing me ever closer to the Linux door, fwiw.

Good luck

Kelly

2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 07:13:17 PM »
As my wife just said, "Mouse no fixie ..."

I have -

... attempted to update the video driver to the latest, been rebuffed and told by the Radeon people that I cannot run the latest driver, and then when I asked windows to do it for me I was informed that the five year old driver running is the best choice for me

... rolled the system back to the only option offered, which was a group of settings from a year ago. That fixed part of the problem, double opening of a tab in reddit when I open it in a new tab, but it still does the "closing one tab and it automatically minimizes all tabs while it's at it and shoves them over to the side"

... deleted all mice and let the machine reinstall the one that was hooked up at reboot

... but it still does the "closing one tab and it automatically minimizes all tabs while it's at it and shoves them over to the side"

I'm starting to wonder if it's BIOS related, but it's all sacrificing chickens to me at this point.

I think a fresh load of Win10 is my only recourse at this point, or a new computer.

I've got CLSM (- lockdown stress mode) and can scarcely think straight at this point. Should probably put on pants and go for a ride.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here