Author Topic: While riding (longer trip) how you'll sleep?  (Read 3359 times)

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
While riding (longer trip) how you'll sleep?
« on: November 30, 2020, 05:16:56 PM »
Do you use hotels, motels, rent cottages (having room & real bed)? Not carrying tent, no sleeping bag etc. (saving weight), more comfortable?
Or do you also sleep in tent for a while (packaging it as well)?

If you do, what kind of tent do you use?

This is interesting topic, as even I have not yet ride much, I'm outdoor person and hiking quite a lot. 

This is my tent ... light, doors both sides:
https://www.tarptent.com/product/double-rainbow/

And I even have this...
Hammock

Tarp

Mosquito net

Underguilt (outside of hammock)

Pad (inside of hammock)

My cooker ... very simply/reliable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lx2PARSNUg&feature=emb_logo

Kuksa:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 05:23:19 PM by Arctic Fox »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: While riding (longer trip) how you'll sleep?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 05:25:26 PM »
If it's a camping rally, I'll camp at the rally in a big Redverz tent.   If it's not really an all-camping rally and rooms are available, I'll get the cheapest one.

On the road, I always get a motel.   It just takes too darn long to stop, unpack, set up camp, then break camp, stuff wet stuff back into a bag, pack it up, and ride.  Besides which, you're sleeping in a dank, wet tent the next night .... !

And I wasn't even in the Army.   Every Army guy I've met said "I had enough of sleeping on the ground, not going to do it for fun!"

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 05:55:21 PM »
I always plan my trips with the idea of camping out each night as the first option. But at the slightest hint of rain I will find a room at whatever hotel or motel is available. The standard kit I have assembled for mot-camping allows me to efficiently setup a camp site in about ten minutes flat and everything breaks down small enough to fit inside my panniers including my camp stool. My tent is a spacious one person affair with a built in air mattress and sleeping bag good down to freezing temps. The only caveat is once I make camp I either have to runback to civilization for something to cook over the fire or stop and get something along the way for that nights meal. This becomes the only thing I drag along that isn't already inside my luggage.
I enjoy cooking a steak over the fire after a long day on the road so stopping at a grocery on my way to my nights resting spot is no big deal. I will usually get a salad out of the deli so I then have a big enough vessel to eat my steak from.

Skippy 
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »
The problem with a hammock, you don't always have handy trees, I have a lightweight tent with a sleeping pad and bag.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 06:56:47 PM »
I've tried camping albeit not moto-camping and just can't come to like it.

When traveling its hotel/motel for me.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 07:18:11 PM »

I like Hilton camping.
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 07:19:22 PM »
When it’s conveniently doable, I’m a “happy camper” for sure.

When I’m visiting big towns / cities, I’m usually doing AirBnB or cheap hotels.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:20:19 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 07:20:02 PM »
I camped on a therma rest in a tent for years. I've camped in school yards, next to grave yards, and on a hill overlooking a highway. But the last couple of years, I've decided I work to hard to run around and sleep on the ground on my vacation. I'll get a nice room and enjoy myself.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 07:43:53 PM »

Sleep better in a tent than I do at home.
Tent is a Eureka "Individual  Combat Shelter" military version.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 07:45:59 PM »
Single story motel. Heck, I strategize road trips over the winter looking for the right combination of motels and their proximity to local bars/restaurants...walking distance a plus. (Have a great recommendation for Kanab, UT if interested...)
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan American
'24 Pan American CVO
'22 Pan America

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 07:49:58 PM »
Single story motel. Heck, I strategize road trips over the winter looking for the right combination of motels and their proximity to local bars/restaurants...walking distance a plus. (Have a great recommendation for Kanab, UT if interested...)

I like the way you talk LeRoy!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 08:43:51 PM »
“How I’ll sleep”  like a baby in a hotel😉

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 08:44:43 PM »
My sleeping aid that makes a heck of a difference.  It also helps with getting dressed to not be sitting on the ground.  I first bought one for my youngest son because he can't sleep on uneven ground like I used to.

The second part is you have to have a tall enough tent.  Since I'm not carrying it I'm willing to use a bigger tent.  I use a 3P tent for myself.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 08:45:40 PM by not-fishing »
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 09:28:17 PM »
With the compact and well made backpacking equipment camping can be pretty comfortable. Try to camp as much as possible rain or shine. Breakfast and dinner at camp too.

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 09:51:33 PM »
 Almost always camp , hotel rooms give me the heebie jeebies .

Dusty

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »
Me, I prefer camping. Not a fan of paying money for a bed just to be unconscious overnight. I'd rather be out in the bush. Prefer cooking decent food, sitting around a campfire (enjoying bush TV), coffee on demand (well, grinding beans takes a little while), and float on a cloud at night. Yes, I use a hammock - packs small & light, & it's comfortable, easily put up & struck even in the rain, so nothing but the tarp gets wet, & only on the outside. Yes, a couple of trees are handy, but when you've a hammock you get good at choosing likely spots - in some 450-500,000km over the last 10 years, only slept on the ground twice. Occasionally a cabin or hotel room is a change of pace, but not to be encouraged.

2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 10:46:40 PM »
If it's a camping rally, I'll camp at the rally in a big Redverz tent.   If it's not really an all-camping rally and rooms are available, I'll get the cheapest one.

On the road, I always get a motel. 

And I wasn't even in the Army.   Every Army guy I've met said "I had enough of sleeping on the ground, not going to do it for fun!"

Lannis

When I was young & dumb, camping was first choice - tent if I planned ahead - but I sometimes slept under lean-tos, on picnic tables, or under the stars, & once, unwisely, in the middle of a deserted dirt road next to my parked motorcycle after a long night in a local watering hole in the Florida Keys.  However, like Lannis' friends, that was all before I spent many, many, nights, weeks and even months camping for the Army, which killed the adventure/fun quotient of camping for me, for the most part.  For the past several years, I've generally camped only under protest ("no room at the inn" situations), with only one voluntary exception to the rule that resulted in back pain for a long period afterwards and reminded me why I don't voluntarily camp any more.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 11:17:19 PM »
If i have my choice, a motel or B-N-B would be the way to go. When I have "camped", it's normally at a fairground or very improved camp site. But then again, I can call a "stall" a good place to sleep. Especially in the Arizona desert.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 12:36:48 AM »
I cheat. Either truck camping or a motel.

2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 05:50:12 AM »
Before spring of 2020 I have travelled for work close to 50% of the year.  I earn a lot of hotel points. 

I don't let the hotel points determine my route somewhere though so I split my time camping and staying in hotels when on a long journey.

One of my touring buddies, who tours on a ZZR600, was an ultralight backpacker.  His bike looks like it is loaded for hotels, but he has everything he needs to camp every night.  Expensive gear that packs down real small. 

I personally have experimented with hammock camping, 1 pole tents, bivy shelters, and settled on a 2 person, 2 pole free standing tent with 2 vestibule rain fly.  I also carry a "base camp" Thermorest self inflating mattress, synthetic mummy bag, and a jet boil system to heat water for freeze dried meals, instant oatmeal, and instant coffee/coffee bags. 

After my spine infection in '17 I need too much cushion and a flat surface to be able to sleep so camping off the bike is done. 

One of my most memorable places to camp was Capital Reef National Monument in Utah.  An oasis in the Utah desert.   
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 05:50:59 AM »
I dont mind camping, and I am still at a age where I can get a nice sleep on some form of air mattress, or thick pad..  But man I can NOT bear a small tent!!  No way on a 1 or 2 person tent.. I dont have a 3 person one, but my 4 person one is just the right size for me. A little big for packing but doable. I love my coffee in the morning also..  So thats a must have. So really, while camping is nice, and can be fun. Its really a lot of work to just sleep somewhere. A nice mid price hotel, with clean rooms, and breakfast the next morning can be a nice thing.
Paul B

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 06:34:57 AM »
Whenever possible motels with the straight in doors to your room. Getting harder to find in some areas.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 09:37:16 AM »
I dont mind camping, and I am still at a age where I can get a nice sleep on some form of air mattress, or thick pad..  But man I can NOT bear a small tent!!  No way on a 1 or 2 person tent.. I dont have a 3 person one, but my 4 person one is just the right size for me. A little big for packing but doable. I love my coffee in the morning also..  So thats a must have. So really, while camping is nice, and can be fun. Its really a lot of work to just sleep somewhere. A nice mid price hotel, with clean rooms, and breakfast the next morning can be a nice thing.

There are definitely places where camping is preferred because there are no hotels near by and experiencing at night is amazing.  Like at the base of the Devil's Tower.  The Lincoln National Forest near Cloudcroft, NM.  The beach on Chincoteague Island, VA, etc. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 09:41:19 AM »
Cheap motels for me.
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2020, 11:47:04 AM »
Me, I prefer camping. Not a fan of paying money for a bed just to be unconscious overnight.

That's a good reason, but my problem is that when squirming into a tent and trying to sleep on the ground, a pad, or a low cot, I'm not going to BE unconscious .... I'll be awake most of the night ... !

Lannis
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 02:23:33 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »
"Outdoor adventure equipment"?

I guess people don't like to go camping any more. :boozing:
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

bobrebos

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 02:05:21 PM »
a good small backpacking type tent, and now ive added this cot to try out.... Camping is fun.  Its all about the adventure!

https://jacobswelloutfitters.com/products/ultralight-portable-co?variant=32023899799645&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Bing%20Shopping&msclkid=3a463cadb69110efbbec636b1782df6d

and a jet boil and other small in size camping/coffee/cooking gear on some trips...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 02:08:11 PM by bobrebos »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2020, 02:49:21 PM »
That's a good reason, but my problem is that when squirming into a tent and trying to sleep on the ground, a pad, or a low cat, I'm not going to BE unconscious .... I'll be awake most of the night ... !

Lannis

That's no good at all. If you haven't been able to organise a setup that enables a good night's sleep every time, all the time, then it's just not fun - so it may be much better to pay for a bed.

One MUST be able to cut out the cold rising from the ground - can't sleep if you are cold. It's a good idea to have enough room that you don't feel enclosed/restricted - and that's different strokes for different folks. It's better to be able to sit out a day in the driving rain in comfort - a decent swag or bivvy can give some a good rest, but, by themselves, that is not one of their features. It's useful to have a system which enables the camp to be set up in the rain without the insides getting wet. And all the gear has to fit easily into the space restrictions of the bike.  For most of us, I believe it's doable, but for some it's just all too much trouble - the rewards for the effort are just not there.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2020, 02:54:26 PM »

json corrector

There is always "Option B"!
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2020, 04:02:22 PM »
a good small backpacking type tent, and now ive added this cot to try out.... Camping is fun.  Its all about the adventure!

https://jacobswelloutfitters.com/products/ultralight-portable-co?variant=32023899799645&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Bing%20Shopping&msclkid=3a463cadb69110efbbec636b1782df6d

and a jet boil and other small in size camping/coffee/cooking gear on some trips...

That cot looks interesting Bob.  I would still have to use a pad on top of it.  Does it compensate for undulations of the ground, or do you have to be on a very flat and smooth surface?

I get a kick out of the ad saying it only adds 5 pounds to your pack.  When a backpacker is trying to achieve a 25 lb total weight on his/her back 5 lbs is an extravagance for sure. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here