Author Topic: Do I need an ECU flash? 2014 V7 Racer with Agostini Exhaust (with DB Killers)  (Read 1629 times)

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
Previous owner of my 2014 V7 Racer installed Agostini slip on exhaust  but didn't do any type of ECU flashing and has been running it stock. I'm reading that this may cause the bike to run lean and that's hard on the valves.  I plan to ride the bike with the DB Killer (baffles) installed.

I'm in Canada and the thought of removing my ECU, sending it to someone in the USA and then shipping it back it not appealing due to extra shipping/duty/brokerage costs over and above the actual flashing of the ECU.

Is this re-flash something that is important to do.

Has anyone in Canada found a local solution to this? My local dealer doesn't really have a suggestion on re-mapping the ECU.

Thanks
james

Offline subin

• New Egg
Check the air filter and if it is stock (not high flow ones such as K&N or BMC) then you should be fine, although it is still lean as in stock.

If the engine has exhaust pops when closing throttle, then you may want to block the secondary air supply (SAS) ports and/or consider ECU flashing.

Some would suggest that you try the beetle map (don't know the cost) and you need to get the special USB cable (don't know the cost, but should not be more than US$50).
Another way is Guzzitech's ECU flash tool (around US$500 plus shipping).

You may read more here https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=87791.0 , if you have not done so already.
2019 V7 III Night Pack
2012 Ducati M796

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
The Beetle map is the way to go.  A laptop, cables and the map of course and you are good to go in 15 minutes.  Lots of info on the forum regarding Beetle maps. 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
I put an Agostini pipe on my ‘14 Special, DB killers in.  The ECU adjusted after a few miles, and all was good.  That was at around 1K miles.  Still going strong at 30K+ with the new owner.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
I'll second the Beetle map. You can get the cables on Amazon for $30 or less. Guzzidiag is free (donations accepted). Your bike will run great. Plus you can do it at home and then read error codes, reset the TPS and a whole lot more.  :thumb:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
I'll second the Beetle map. You can get the cables on Amazon for $30 or less. Guzzidiag is free (donations accepted). Your bike will run great. Plus you can do it at home and then read error codes, reset the TPS and a whole lot more.  :thumb:

I believe the Beetle maps are $100 now on the griso.org website which is fine with me. I'm just deciding which way to go as there is a map with the DB killers and one without. I'll sort out which way I'll ride the bike and buy the correct map. I don't want to have to buy a 2nd map if I won't use it most of the time.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
My 2014 came with a serious cold start difficulty, as did many others at that time. The Beetlemap fixed that. When later I changed the stock headers & Mistral mufflers to the fatter Agostini headers, and the Arrow (for the V7R) mufflers, it ran even better, with no map change. A Beetlemap is recommended - it works, it's cheap, you can do it yourself, and with Guzzidiag there's fringe benefits too.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
I believe the Beetle maps are $100 now on the griso.org website which is fine with me. I'm just deciding which way to go as there is a map with the DB killers and one without. I'll sort out which way I'll ride the bike and buy the correct map. I don't want to have to buy a 2nd map if I won't use it most of the time.
Go with the Db killers in and beetle map.  Bike will run so much better than it does now.  I've done lots of miles without DB killer in, and i can say that the noise tends to wear you down on longer rides.  You also tend to short shift more because of it.  With killers in, you'll let it rev a bit more and it still sounds nicer than stock.  I honestly think it runs better with the killers in too.

Wildroamer

I have a third gen, so ymmv. I did the SAS delete, evap can bypass, and Mistral pipes. I definitely needed a remap, but paid the big bucks for the GT one. Before I knew anything about the Beetle map.
Remarkable difference in how the bike runs, especially the slow speed stuff. Snatchy throttle and decel popping practically eliminated. Now... would I pay $500 again, or maybe try the $100 solution? I'd be inclined to try the Beetle map.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here