Author Topic: Alarm systems?  (Read 932 times)

Offline Arctic Fox

• Gosling
Alarm systems?
« on: December 02, 2020, 04:27:52 PM »

Internet is full of cheap alarm system sets. Anybody installed/experienced of those? Do they do any good?

Pdmartin

Re: Alarm systems?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 04:38:18 PM »
Just don’t get one with a proximity or motion detector. Don’t remember what brand it was but I had one one my Aspencade. Every time someone or even a dog walked by it would trigger. Even wind gusts set it off. All the false alarms made it pretty useless.

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 04:56:09 PM »

Save your money and install a hidden switch that disables the fuel pump.  My $.02

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Navydad

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »
Just don’t get one with a proximity or motion detector. Don’t remember what brand it was but I had one one my Aspencade. Every time someone or even a dog walked by it would trigger. Even wind gusts set it off. All the false alarms made it pretty useless.

Idiot that had the Aspencade before you found that out pretty quickly :grin: Seemed like a good idea at the time.

These days it's an insurance policy and a credit card for me. My non Guzzi ride is a Can Am Spyder that had a factory anti theft system. I had it disabled because it had a tendency to fail and leave me stranded. Problem with my V7 is that two big ole boys with a pick up or trailer can have it and be gone in a minute alarm or not. We try to stay one step ahead of the bad guys, but sometimes I think we are a step behind.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 06:17:56 PM »
No self respecting crook would steal a Guzzi  :evil:

Having said that I like this idea

Save your money and install a hidden switch that disables the fuel pump.  My $.02

Paul B :boozing:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 06:23:32 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 06:28:36 PM »
You can't trade Guzzi parts for crack..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 07:13:08 PM »
My plan (and it's been working for 50 years, half a million miles, and two continents) is to not live in a place where there's an alarm-sized chance that your bike will be stolen, and don't park your bike in places where there's an alarm-sized chance that it might be stolen.

Of course, when you measure "quality of life" in inverse proportion to the chances of your stuff being burgled, you have to make some choices that everyone's not prepared to make, but the good news is that it hasn't backfired ...

Not a direct answer to the OP, I know.   But not off-topic, either.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 07:28:50 PM »
I have one, a Gorilla alarm, installed in my Griso. The only time it ever provides a modicum of comfort is when my bike is parked outside my motel room door in the middle of nowhere. Then I hope the alarm will rouse me enough to turn on the light, maybe open the door, and, I hope, flush the bad guys. Never has happened, though. The tendency of its key fob switch to accidentally activate the alarm motivated me to install an on/off switch to completely disable it most of the time.

I probably wouldn't install one again, but it's a close call because of those lonely motel rooms out there.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 07:35:33 PM »

I probably wouldn't install one again, but it's a close call because of those lonely motel rooms out there.

Moto

That IS an issue, but it's really great the change over the last 40 years in the acceptance of motorcycles at motels/hotels.   Never happened to this clean-cut young man, but I used to hear horror stories from friends about being sent on down the road and not allowed a room once the manager found you were on a bike.

A couple of friends from England and I were touring the Northeast on our old BSAs, and we stopped at a high-rise Sheraton right next to Niagara Falls.   Without us even asking, the desk clerk offered to let us park our bikes under the marquee right at the main entrance to the hotel, brightly lit, on camera, and in view of the desk.   I demurred at first, saying that we didn't want our un-housetrained old bikes to pee Castrol all over the nice white concrete, but he waved that off and said they were used to it and would clean it up, and that people would enjoy seeing the antique (1955, 1961, 1969) bikes there.

Most places these days will let you do that, some with more grace than others .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 08:20:47 PM »
My two Russian bikes had a toggle switch on the ground side of the battery.  Nobody ever figured out why the bike wouldn't start.
  They probably figured it was just a glitch in he electrics.  After all it was Russian.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here