Author Topic: Guzzi Jackal No Oil Pressure Light?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline ahaussmann123

• New Egg
Guzzi Jackal No Oil Pressure Light?
« on: December 03, 2020, 11:34:21 AM »
Weird question for all. My jackal, with the key on, bike not running, the oil pressure light does not come on. Every other motorcycle, it comes on until you start the engine, that's how you know it works (obviously it's because of the sensor being an open circuit type but I assume that's the reason they make it that way). Could the bulb be dead or the low pressure sensor be broken? Or is this normal?

Thanks all :)

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Guzzi Jackal No Oil Pressure Light?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 11:49:40 AM »
The light should come on when the key is on and the engine is not running. It comes on when the lead is grounded. Take a jumper from the engine (ground) and touch or clip it to the wire end that goes in the oil pressure switch. You don’t have to disconnect it if you can get to a bare spot where it is connected. If the light doesn’t come on, it’s probably a bulb
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 12:20:53 PM »
Y'ep.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline ahaussmann123

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »
The light should come on when the key is on and the engine is not running. It comes on when the lead is grounded. Take a jumper from the engine (ground) and touch or clip it to the wire end that goes in the oil pressure switch. You don’t have to disconnect it if you can get to a bare spot where it is connected. If the light doesn’t come on, it’s probably a bulb

Awesome, thank you!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »

Offline ahaussmann123

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 09:52:12 AM »
Update:

It's the sensor. The bulb is good. For anybody who reads this in the future, you can just unplug the sensor and touch the wire to the case. That's the easiest way. Don't take apart your entire dash because the jumper you're using can't bridge the connection like my dumb ass.

I think I'm going to get the cheap napa sensor, touch the bullet to the spade, and wrap it tight with shrink wrap & electrical tape. I could put up pics of the final retrofit if there's interest. ***

Actually, found an OEM style unit for $13 on ebay. Gonnna go that route instead. Any tips to prevent it from dying? Dielectric grease okay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/302977495516?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=302977495516&targetid=935694488066&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9004403&poi=&campaignid=10459841961&mkgroupid=104612009980&rlsatarget=pla-935694488066&abcId=2146002&merchantid=6566204&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzsz-BRCCARIsANotFgOm0p6LYdgUrSXpEf8yC2mh32cW_WKS19UUGCt3aIo5F31lbZdryxYaAo97EALw_wcB
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 10:03:01 AM by ahaussmann123 »

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 10:28:39 AM »
I learned long ago, that the sensors (factory and after market) are easily damaged when they get wet. So I just use a factory sensor, and cover it.
The factory has a rubber cover just for it, but they have not installed them for years.
Part number 12717600 . I have not had to replace a sensor since getting this cover. I used to have to replace them often.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

jwinwi

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 10:42:26 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 02:20:14 PM »
Glad it was only the sensor, in my case it was the oil pump.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline ahaussmann123

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 06:04:23 PM »
Glad it was only the sensor, in my case it was the oil pump.

I mean who knows, the pump could be bad too :weiner:. But if I’ve put 200 miles on this thing already, so if that was the case the engine would be screwed with a capital S. God willing the light turns back off when the engine goes on 0.0

MG cycle would take a bit too long for my tastes. Any thoughts on a diy cover using electrical tape? Not a budget situation obviously more ease of access.

----Update: I need new fork seals, so I will buy that cover as well from whoever I get the seals from. Hamlin is my first hit, would do Af1 after that but considering mg cycle has all of it I'll probably just use them.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 11:03:59 PM by ahaussmann123 »

Offline ahaussmann123

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 06:13:12 PM »
Update: New sensor and all is well with the world. Got the upgraded boot; worth the wait.

If you have a 6 point socket for spark plugs it should work.

I noticed the connector was damn corroded. Cleaned it with contact cleaner and a brush. Anybody else with this problem, try cleaning your connector first! There’s a chance that could be the issue, but I got the new sensor so why not replace it..

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 07:43:20 PM »
I mean who knows, the pump could be bad too :weiner:. But if I’ve put 200 miles on this thing already, so if that was the case the engine would be screwed with a capital S. God willing the light turns back off when the engine goes on 0.0

MG cycle would take a bit too long for my tastes. Any thoughts on a diy cover using electrical tape? Not a budget situation obviously more ease of access.

----Update: I need new fork seals, so I will buy that cover as well from whoever I get the seals from. Hamlin is my first hit, would do Af1 after that but considering mg cycle has all of it I'll probably just use them.

It's pretty easy to take the valve cover off and see if the oil is squirting. 

But in your case, if the light wasn't on when you turned the key on, well, prolly the sensor.  But it's hard to assume that.  :embarrassed:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here