Author Topic: Would you buy an 8 valve with flat tappets?  (Read 19097 times)

Rough Edge racing

Re: Would you buy an 8 valve with flat tappets?
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2020, 06:12:45 AM »
Has anyone actually found bearing damage as a result of failure?

Peerhaps some persons who have ridden the bike 50,000 miles after a bad flat tapppet failure was rollerized can a
nswer from experience?

Offline SteveRivet

• Gosling
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2020, 07:06:51 AM »
I wouldn't.  I took a bath on a 2011 Stelvio over this.  Tried to order the parts and gave up after 3 months.  Like one of the earlier posts said, if you did this 3-4 years after the bike came out it may have been a good idea, but these are all ~10 years now and a good number have already been rollerized.

-Steve
2014 R1200GS

Previously:  1999 Bassa, 1972 Eldorado, 1986 Lemans IV, 2008 1200 Sport, 2011 Stelvio

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2020, 10:26:54 AM »
I have an '03 hydro with 90k on it and a '11 Tenni SE with 25k so I do feel your pain.  But I bought both knowing fully what I was getting in to and what needed to be done.  The hydro was extra difficult because in 2005 the kits were not yet available.  I had to wait almost a year until the recall was performed (first kits went to unsold bikes).

I do believe the reward is worth the aggravation though.  The EV has been rock solid for 15 years save for when the tranny bearings went out at about 80k.  Even then I made it home 350 miles (but doubt I had much more left).  My Griso, after rollers, plug wires and Mark's map, is the best running and most reliable bike I've ever owned to date.

Speaking to a dealer one time who sold both Triumph and Guzzi, he said that the his Triumph customers become regulars.  The Guzzi customers, on the other hand, he sees for the first 5km while he's fixing all of the stuff that the factory should have done right, but after that they sort of disappear.  My experience too.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:51:12 AM by Dilliw »
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »

Roy: It is very easy to tell simply by removing a valve cover and looking. With a little homework, pics are easy to find to compare old and new. You don't need to look further. As for the Griso SE, aka Tenni Griso, I believe all of them needed rollerization. So if that specific model is what someone seeks they need to verify one way or the other before they lay down the cash. 

John Henry

JH, a Tenni, that would be tempting.
Peeking under a cover is a long way from this, just saying. the tread was asking if you would buy a bike knowing that it had flat tappets.
So we already know it needs a kit, you are factoring the kit into the price by knocking 2K off the asking price.
If knew for sure I could buy the right kit, I wouldn't need to look first because replacing parts is a given, with Petes excellent tutorials it would be a great winter project.
To open it up and find this wouldn't be too scary.

The chances of seeing this would be very remote, that bike must be knocking on 100K miles surely, I wouldn't look at one more than 20K
That would give you a sinking feeling but surely its rattling like a couple of skeletons in a tin bath at that stage.
Reminds me of a Vincent I had once, there was about 1/4" missing from the tops of the cam.

Cheers
Roy
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:42:35 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2020, 08:11:56 AM »
Q: Would you buy an 8 valve with flat tappets?
I did buy a 2009 8V Griso in 2013.
At the time I knew there was a risk, but it was not yet established that all flat tappets would fail, so I felt lucky and bought it  :grin:
Had it rollerized later @ 14,000 km, Piaggio supplied parts and I paid a mechanic for the work.
I just love the 8V motor.

Would I buy an 8V with flat tappets again?
Definitely, if the price and mileage were right.
Small chance about the mileage by now - - - - -

Eyes wide open so to speak.

Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline bhattman

• New Egg
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2021, 01:57:55 PM »
In a word: NO.

If I were to buy a Griso, it would be an 1100 (2V(4V) motor), or 8V that came from the factory with rollers.
Same goes for a Norge, 2V(4V) or 8V roller.

Did the Breva 1200 Sport (2008) Have the same issuue of the flat tappet? Or was it only Norge, Stelvio and Griso?

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2021, 02:11:12 PM »
An '08 Breva would be a 2valve per cylinder engine, so no, it wouldn't be affected by the 8 valve flat tappet issue.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2021, 06:26:39 AM »
I wouldn’t but an 8V if it had spherical tappets..

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2021, 06:27:52 AM »
Do I recall the 1200 Sport was available as an 8 valve in other countries? Only 2 valve models in the US.

John Henry
Yeah, Lovey has one.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here