Author Topic: Oil pressure switch for older Guzzis- some info  (Read 595 times)

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
Oil pressure switch for older Guzzis- some info
« on: August 09, 2022, 04:00:45 PM »
Soon after I got my SP1000 on the road, the oil pressure switch developed an intermittent condition where it would not activate the red indicator light when the ignition was turned on, but before starting the engine. Not a good thing, so the sticky switch had to go. From what I've read Moto Guzzi oil pressure switches fail and/or leak pretty often. 

There are plenty of switches that fit in the M12 x 1.5 threaded hole, but I couldn't find a substitute that had the Guzzi's long pin electrical connector.
It turns out that many BMW autos of the seventies and eighties use the same type switch, but with a common male spade connector. Common as roaches. And not expensive.

Next time you are in need, ask for a 1980 BMW320i oil pressure switch. There are several companies that make a compatible unit.  This one is from a company called Uro. (Get it? Euro. As in European car parts. )

It does have slightly a larger nut than the Guzzi part. (24 mm vs 22 mm)

Snip off the original pin connector from the harness, crimp on a female spade connector and you're done. I got fancy and reused the original rubber cover (boot) and some adhesive lined heat shrink.

And voila. If you should ever again need a replacement, it's a quick trip to your local car parts vendor.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Oil pressure switch for older Guzzis- some info
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 04:09:49 PM »
More information:
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_oil_pressure_sending_unit.html

The 24 mm hex would be an issue on Loops with the original generator - the 21 mm original is already "too close for comfort" to the generator bracket.
Charlie

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 04:22:03 PM »
Thanks Charlie. I probably should have titled this "for Tonti frames" rather than "older Guzzis".  :grin:

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 05:02:28 PM »
Thanks Charlie. I probably should have titled this "for Tonti frames" rather than "older Guzzis".  :grin:

Nah, your title is fine. I was just providing additional information. 24 mm may clear the bracket on the Loop alternator kits.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 05:02:28 PM »

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 06:40:20 AM »
Peugeot 505 used them too
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 07:35:29 AM »
the oil pressure sensor on my Griso started leaking oil right up through the square electrical connector housing on top . I removed it and filled the connector housing with oil and introduced a little compressed air to the bottom of the sensor and you could watch it bubble right up through the oil. The replacement was right at Nappa for eight bucks.
 So for the later carc bikes with the square Molex type connector it's BMW part # 12617568480

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 10:58:00 AM »
Good helpful information, guys. Its always nice to have alternatives.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here