Author Topic: "Moto Guzzini" (1995 Moto Guzzi 750 Nevada) Cafe Racer Build  (Read 14671 times)

Offline motoguzzini

• New Egg
"Moto Guzzini" (1995 Moto Guzzi 750 Nevada) Cafe Racer Build
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »
*I have also posted this on dotheton.com but a user suggested I join this forum as you guys are a wealth of knowledge for Guzzi! I will be updating both threads :)*

Hi All!

During a weekend trip to Lisbon I walked past a beautiful bike sitting for sale on the marina. After oohing and ahhing for a few moments with my girlfriend I walked off and enjoyed the rest of my trip. However, after coming back to Blighty the bike was on my mind... I managed to find the owner and after a few emails it was mine! This is my first bike and I haven't actually got a license yet... Little did I know what a can of worms this would be!

After calling a few different companies Moto Transport gave me a great quote to collect and it was with me the same week  :D

I naively thought I would be able to get it registered, jump on it (once test passed) and have oodles of fun - but after taking a look under the seat and tank to decide how best to fit some indicators it became very clear that it was going to be much more work! The wiring was quite confusing and I actually found a clump of dash lights taped together and hidden under the tank!  :o So, I took it upon myself to strip the old harness out and I decided that a nice new Motogadget M-unit with all the associated goodies would do the trick. On the way I will be carrying out some maintenance on the engine and carbs, fitting a new the ignition and cleaning up the bike with a nice small battery and de-tabbing the frame.

I have a to-do list and if anyone with any expertise on Guzzi's has any advice I would very much appreciate it!

Rewire - Looking to go with a Motogadget setup with the m-Unit v2, 2x m-Switch and m-Blaze Disc indicators run through the m-Button and the motoscope classic speedo. This would be paired up with an Antigravity AG801 battery.

Ignition - This model has the Digiplex ignition system which is a fairly large box in the battery compartment. As I will be getting rid of the lead acid battery and will likely relocating the small Antigravity out of sight I would also like to replace the Digiplex with a new ignition system so I can get that see through under the seat look :) From doing a brief bit of research there seems to be two options here, Silent Hektik or the Elektrik Sachse. Does any know of any pros or cons of either system?

Carbs - The airbox has been removed and the carbs (PHBH30) have been fitted with some K&N style pods, I believe the jetting has not been changed however (102 main jet) so this will need looking at.

Engine - Check the valve clearances, change oil and filters. There doesn't seem to be any oil leaks or anything at the moment so I will leave the gaskets for the time being.

Oil Breather - As the airbox has been removed the oil breather isn't connected up as it would have been from factory. The heads and sump breather have not been blocked so I do not think I am at risk of blowing seals, however it doesn't look like there is any return for the oil condensate to return to the engine.

The space where the breather housing was would be great to relocate the battery and fit the m-unit,

so I was thinking about fitting this sleek oil separator (http://radicalguzzi.com/motor_getriebe) from Radical Guzzi so that I gain some space here.

Bars & Throttle - I have ordered some Tarozzi Ace Bars from Disco Volante Moto as the original were solid and wouldn't allow for the m-Blaze discs. Looking at a Tomaselli throttle but if there are any other alternatives I would love to hear!

Lights - I would like to upgrade the headlight and taillight to LED, have not had a chance to look into this in any depth yet.

Thanks for reading and I will be updating with some better pictures of the build when the parts start arriving. In the meantime here are some pictures than the seller sent me of the initial build.

And it's current state!

UPADTE

Today the carbs got stripped and cleaned in a ultrasonic cleaner with isopropyl and water for 60 minutes @ 80c. The carbs were extremely dirty with residue all over the internals. The cleaning solution was a dark brown soup once done. The carb bodies did not shine up very well so I will be soda blasting them for a nice finish. I also purchased some metal float bowls to upgrade over the standard black plastic.

The rear plastic splash guard was removed along with the Digiplex. Radical Guzzi make a very nice aluminium replacement or I may fit a fender ala Kaffe-maschine. It will be a shame to loose that beautiful view of the twins from the rear however.

The bike has a neutral switch fitted but it isn't wired up. I have not seen this connector before, does anyone know what it is called or how to attached a wire to it?

Offline lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
Re: "Moto Guzzini" (1995 Moto Guzzi 750 Nevada) Cafe Racer Build
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »
Nice Job, you definitely have skills     :thumb:
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 06:21:47 PM »
The neutral switch connector is an open semi-circular tab that connects under the brass top of the switch, perpendicularly. It slides on & is then covered with the boot.

I have a dismantled Nevada in the Shed, so will be able to post some photos for you later this week. It really helps once you know what you are looking at.

Good luck.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline motoguzzini

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 02:12:56 PM »
Nice Job, you definitely have skills     :thumb:

All of the pretty work was carried out by the previous owner, I can't take any of that credit :) I am just updating some more of the internals to make it run and ride better  :cheesy:

The neutral switch connector is an open semi-circular tab that connects under the brass top of the switch, perpendicularly. It slides on & is then covered with the boot.

I have a dismantled Nevada in the Shed, so will be able to post some photos for you later this week. It really helps once you know what you are looking at.

Good luck.

Thanks malik, that would actually be a great help. There aren't many Nevada owners of this vintage out there! What are you plans for it?

I bought a basic soda blasting kit to spruce up the carbs but it didn't make a blind bit of difference! I purchased some metal float bowls to replace the plastic ones and the difference looks a bit odd to say the least  ;D

So I had the carbs vapour blasted and they came out with a factory finished, amazing! Only cost £15 to boot.

One question I have is how to connect the fuel supply lines to the carbs. The tank has two petcocks, can I join each petcock directly to each carb and leave it as that, or do I have to have a pipe joining both carbs by the way of a double inlet union? The carbs come with double unions attached but they don't appear on the factory diagrams (the factory tank only had one petcock with a T union spliting to two pipes however).

I began removing some unnecessary tabs from the frame to tidy up the space under the seat.

Before

After

Just need file the cuts smooth now and touch up with paint. I initially decided to locate everything in the space under the spine as below but after mocking everything up I was worried as to whether it would be weatherproof enough for the more delicate bits (ignition, m-unit) so I made a plate just large enough to house the battery behind the top tube and made a platform below the seat to put the bulk of the electrics.

Behind the top tube

I indulged in a new headlight last week after much deliberation, a 7-inch JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2 with DRL in chrome. The original bucket was too large so I have purchased a side mount Lucas bucket, cannot wait to wire this up to see how she glows!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 02:12:56 PM »

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »
Nice work, looking forward in seeing more! Thanks for posting.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 09:01:40 AM »
Bella!
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 05:59:59 PM »
Took some pictures of the neutral switch & the connector. Let's see if I can get them on here.

My project? I picked up a written off Breva with 23,000km on it, not a lot wrong with it but it can't be re-registered for the road with it's original frame. Then I came across a Nevada with a hole in the crankcase, so I plan using the Nevada frame & all the Breva bits with a V7 tank & seat to make another V7. There's less welding involved to turn a Nevada frame into a V7 than into a Breva. And a V7 is prettier.

Mal

Offline motoguzzini

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 05:21:44 PM »
Took some pictures of the neutral switch & the connector. Let's see if I can get them on here.

My project? I picked up a written off Breva with 23,000km on it, not a lot wrong with it but it can't be re-registered for the road with it's original frame. Then I came across a Nevada with a hole in the crankcase, so I plan using the Nevada frame & all the Breva bits with a V7 tank & seat to make another V7. There's less welding involved to turn a Nevada frame into a V7 than into a Breva. And a V7 is prettier.

Mal

Thanks Mal, that has been a great help. I have ordered some terminals and a rubber boot to get that job done now  :thumb: Looking forward to seeing the process of the V7 being built! I hope you post a few pics on here when you get started. I have a working Digiplex unit here and some bar controls should you need anything to help.

All of the electronics have arrived now so I have spent today putting together a wiring diagram. I think I have most of it sorted but I am a little confused about the Alternator/R&R wiring. The original wiring diagram shows 4 cables going into the R&R;

2 Yellow from the Alternator (Saprisa)
1 Blue for the generator light
1 Red/Black that goes to ignition switch

The setup (Motogadget motoscope classic) that I have does not have a generator light so where does this go? Here is what I have so far.

I am a complete beginner at this and it will be the first bike I have wired, any advice or tips would be very much appreciated!

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 12:00:29 AM »
Best of luck. Can't help there, I'm sorry. I had contemplated an m-unit for the Carberry Enfield V-Twin rebuild, thought it might have been simpler, but unless some kind of expert surfaces nearby, I might as well go with the factory loom.That's likely to stretch me, anyway. Sined "clueless". Anything I can help with, just ask.

Offline hidn45

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 05:50:23 PM »
Hey Guzzini - good to see you made it over here.

Wish I could help on the electrical question, but it's over my head.  I might suggest you post the specific question over on the main general discussion forum where it'll get more exposure.  There are at least a couple guys here that should be able to shed some light on your issue.

Good work so far - looking forward to seeing her on the road.
Y2K Bassa - "Benedetta" (sold)
1986 Cali II - "Moose"
1977 T-3 [formerly FB] - name TBD

MGNOC member # 22,000

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 07:36:44 PM »
Love the fabrication work, and when you are done you will have a really special bike.
Personally, I think the '27' looks awkward and might look better just blacked out.
Where in the UK are you?
Best of luck with the electrics,
Bill
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »
Check out the wiring diagrams that have been made by Carl Allison.  Greg Bender is hosting them on his site.  You'll probably find what you need.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sportissimo.html

Cool bike and very nice workmanship. Thanks for taking the time to post pictures.
Shawn
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline motoguzzini

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
Hi All,

Apologies for the lack of updates. I tend to get carried away taking things apart and forgot to take pictures during the process!

Hey Guzzini - good to see you made it over here.

Wish I could help on the electrical question, but it's over my head.  I might suggest you post the specific question over on the main general discussion forum where it'll get more exposure.  There are at least a couple guys here that should be able to shed some light on your issue.

Good work so far - looking forward to seeing her on the road.

Hey hidn45, thanks for the recommendation. This sub has been more than helpful already! I think I have the electrical issue sorted now, I will post a finished diagram soon, but as per below I might be a way off the wiring yet  :laugh:

Love the fabrication work, and when you are done you will have a really special bike.
Personally, I think the '27' looks awkward and might look better just blacked out.
Where in the UK are you?
Best of luck with the electrics,
Bill

Thanks Devildog! Appreciate the kind words. I agree, the '27' plate is going and with a new ignition and lithium battery, this area will be open like a true cafe racer! I am in Essex, near Southend. How about you?

Check out the wiring diagrams that have been made by Carl Allison.  Greg Bender is hosting them on his site.  You'll probably find what you need.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sportissimo.html

Cool bike and very nice workmanship. Thanks for taking the time to post pictures.
Shawn

Hi Shawn, thanks for the link, these diagrams helped tremendously. I look forward to posting more.

Offline motoguzzini

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 01:40:49 PM »
This is quickly snowballing into a nut and bolt rebuild. I decided to completely strip the frame and have it blasted and powder coated, it now has a lovely satin black finish. I was worried that the blasting and heat of the oven would cause the 2-pack bonder to give way but it held up well and looks great.

The heads and cylinders are currently being vapour blasted. I was so impressed with the finish on the carbs I couldn't resist giving the same treatment to the engine too, pics to follow!

I do have a question about the gearbox. Are you supposed to be able to cycle through the gears whilst it is on the bench? I am worried that I might have caused some damaged at a failed attempt at trying to open it up (so I could vapour blast the case). I unbolted it all and tried to open it up the wrong way AKA by sitting it on the bell housing and pulling the universal joint end out. I am worried that I have done some damaged and I do not want to reassemble the bike without having tested the gearbox on the bench at least. I have tried moving the gear selector, which moves up and down fine but it doesn't feel like it is clicking through the gears. When I turn the main drive or universal joint spline they are engaged and rotate freely.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would kick myself if I have done something terminal to it!

Offline pat80flh

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 04:51:23 AM »
Try bench shifting your trans while turning the input shaft.
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

Offline motoguzzini

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 05:53:10 AM »
Try bench shifting your trans while turning the input shaft.

Hi pat80flh, thanks for the help. I have tried turning the input shaft whilst moving the gear selector up and down but it isn't shifting gears it seems. The output shaft is turning so it looks like it might be stuck in gear?

I did remove the pawl mechanism cam bolt when I was messing around with it so I thought that might need adjusting. I have tried turning it 1/4 at a time but this didn't make any difference.

Offline motoguzzini

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 01:55:51 PM »
After a year I managed to get a replacement gearbox sourced - it was cheaper to get a replacement than having the old one rebuilt. I believe the issue in the end was that I adjusted the shift indent too far and the spring popped off, no way to sort that without stripping the box. Live and learn! Luckily there was somebody breaking a Nevada for a trike build on the Moto Guzzi MGC UK FaceBook group, picked up the gearbox and a driveshaft/rear drive for spares.

I forgot to snap some pictures reassembling the freshly vapour blasted cylinders and heads but here is the block with the replacement gearbox attached.

Frame bolted on with a tank shot.

Triple tree and stanchions on.

Annoyingly I noticed that I did a hack job putting the timing chest back on and ruining the cam seal. New one ordered...

Next jobs on the list are to fit the clip-ons and clutch/throttle cables and figure our the rear sets. I purchased some Tarozzi rear sets and figuring out how to fit them has me a little confused. The brake side is simple enough however I can't quite get my head around the gear side. I will put up a post of a prototype idea shortly for critique.

In other news I found a Cafe Racer Nevada on eBay that looked very well built, I couldn't resist it! Something to ride whilst I am working on this.

Also, if I am honest it provides a template to put the original one back together again  ;D

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 05:20:38 PM »
I see that you've seen the light - a second one the same that's actually running is a very good idea; convenient too. (Ask me how I know). Once the clips ons are fitted, the standard cables will work, but I found that the cables from the Racer are a bit shorter and fit better (but then mine is FI). If you have trouble with cables, Venhills is a convenient source to you.

Rear sets - I picked up a set of Agostinis for the V7 (they are the same as the OEM Racer version), then found that the bottom frame rails of the Nevada are a little different from the V7, so it looks like I'll have an extra nut welded to the Nevada frame rail each side so as to take the rear set's base plate. I haven't checked the linkages yet, but with blythe optimism, I don't believe that's insurmountable. If the Tarozzis don't work out for you, now that Guzzi no longer sells the Racer rear set kit, the alternatives I know of are Agostini Mandello & LSL (& possibly Sato). But first let's see what you've worked out for the Tarozzis.

The old gearbox can be a longer term project. It disassembles from the end inside the bell housing. I had a couple of special tools made up for this. There is a good set of instructions (for the Breva, but it's the same) in the Files section on the MG 750 Yahoo site.

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »
Noice ... :grin:
 You are starting with a great looking bike.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 11:27:09 PM »
Best looking nevadas I've ever seen! Nice!
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline whysub

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »
My brother did this to his Nevada on the cheap. Looked and sounded great, and was a really nice, sorted thing to ride (but I like my B1200 Sport more).
<qbr />

Offline FJGUZZI

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 05:41:10 PM »
Portugal.. such a small country with so few Guzzi's but yet you can find some cool builds...

here's mine, bought from Estoril (near Lisbon) back in May.

'96 Nevada 350

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here