Author Topic: 1978 Moto Morini 500 almost done!  (Read 34690 times)

canuck750

Re: Any Morini Fans?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 04:59:36 PM »
take your time looking at the wiring diagram ,
the stock wiring looks like a mess ( they are all like that!)
but it is well thought out. there is some method in this madness
basically all the parts have their own wiring harness, and everything connects at the fuse box.
so any electrical problem can be found by removing the side cover, and measuring at the fuse box.

no sparks? measure the green wire from the generator. still no sparks? measure the green wire from the emergency stop.
still nothing? check the contact switch. ( you guessed , another green wire in the fuse box).

pretty brilliant if you are used to guzzi electrics , where they tend to connect everything inside the headlight/ fuse box or even halfway down the harness etc.....

Spaghetti !

and more spaghetti

As I took the wire harness sections apart it did start to make sense, and I can rebuild / copy each segment one step at a time. Same fuse box and solenoid as a V7 Sport.

Offline brubache

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 06:43:41 PM »
I love this... so much.

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 06:58:58 PM »

Spaghetti !

As I took the wire harness sections apart it did start to make sense, and I can rebuild / copy each segment one step at a time. Same fuse box and solenoid as a V7 Sport.

Art!
A bit like an old telephone operator

canuck750

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »
I threw the bundle of wiring onto the ultrasonic cleaner, filled er up with a degreaser and set it at 50C for an hour. The wires come out clean and soft and the glue residue from the bits of sticky tape are gone. Dried off and laid out they make quite a display, as mentioned, this is not so much a wire harness as a bundle of individual or paired wires each with a separate function all terminating at the switchboard called a fuse box.

Classic Bike's Steve Cooper wrote a nice article on making a new harness for a Suzuki Stinger where he strings out each section of the old harness on a sheet of cardboard held sown with wire ties and then copies the new harness directly below attaching each terminal cap and insulator jacket. Looks like a good way to approach this, I have spools and spools of different coloured automotive wire and the right terminals ends to match so it should just be an issue of time.

First order came back from the powder coaters, frame and exhaust still to be done.

I don't love the dull grey wheels but that's the way they came in 78' so that's how they will go back on.

This bike came with an odd assortment of extra parts, spare foot controls, extra exhaust, side covers, gas tank, seat cowl, once done there will be an Ebay sale of unused extras.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 10:53:07 PM »
 :thumb:

My friend Jarl might need some of your surplus, let me know when you're ready to sell it.
Charlie

Offline tetarabra

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2018, 03:34:06 PM »

canuck750

canuck750

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2018, 07:57:53 PM »
I have made new wire harness components matching the original fittings and colours, British Wiring Supply has all kinds of gauge and colour of PVC wire, plastic end covers, connectors and PVC tube harness covers. I need a few piggy back crimp connectors and few more dual colour wires to finish the rest of it but it's mostly done. I found a new CEV left hand light / horn switch on Italian Ebay for cheap so I swapped the molex ends and connectors to the new switch.

Fitted new wheel bearings to the powder coated rims, NLM supplied new stainless steel rotors that match the OEM rotors.

Dropped the rims and new Pirelli Sport Demon tires off at the bike shop to get mounted

I assembled the rear cush drive, new sprocket from NLM, replated the axle carrier and spacers

I polished up the stainless steel fenders, repainted the front fender brackets

The powder cater finished the rest of the coatings including the ceramic coated exhaust

All hung up awaiting to go back together

Crank to be sent out for grinding Monday, engine case bearings arrived Friday so I can start on the engine.

Next job is to mask and powder coat the engines side covers and related access plates.

Offline brubache

• New Egg
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2018, 10:16:14 AM »
WANT. IT. PERIOD.  :thumb:

twowings

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 02:44:28 PM »
Where did you source that most excellent Moto Guzzi print on the left with the different models?

Everything is looking great! This will be a gem... :bow:

canuck750

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2018, 03:22:19 PM »
Where did you source that most excellent Moto Guzzi print on the left with the different models?

Everything is looking great! This will be a gem... :bow:

I found the Guzzi poster on UK Ebay, had it for years.

Powder coated the engine case covers with satin black

stripped the horn down to repaint the steel frame and reseal the air chamber

new harness and fasteners

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:24:11 PM by canuck750 »

canuck750

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2018, 10:07:15 PM »
I took a few more bites out of finishing the elephant, the tail light assembly, powder coated the CEV light and plate hanger, cad plated the cup that holds the rubber damper and replaced the hardware

Original tail light cleaned up nice just had to glue the gasket back into the body

To the brakes, these are Grimeca, I stripped off the original anodizing and sent the caliper bodies and master cylinder parts off to get anodized, very cheap, about $4.00 a part
The bolts, washers, lock plates and bleeders were cad plated, new seals fitted

Grimeca use a ball bearing between the caliper casting and the bleeder

The front master cylinder is new

I had new rubber brake lines made to match the original ones and had the steel brake lines cad plated, just need to fit the new brake shoes and install the rear master cylinder rebuild kit.

Now to dig into the boxes and decide what component to do next.

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2018, 09:16:08 PM »
 :popcorn:

Spectacular as always Jim! Good job on the horn, I have to see if I can do the same on my Alfa, it got two horns on it and they sound like they have a cold :grin:

-Ulrik
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

canuck750

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2018, 10:22:13 PM »
:popcorn:

Spectacular as always Jim! Good job on the horn, I have to see if I can do the same on my Alfa, it got two horns on it and they sound like they have a cold :grin:

-Ulrik

The plastic sound box, built like a nautilus shell, is glued to the steel body, on this horn the glue had dried out and the plastic body was loose to the steel plate, silicone sealant between the two should solve it.

I cleaned up the forks, polished the fork lowers and fitted new dual lip seals,

Fitted new aluminum sealing washers to the bottom bolts

filled the fork tubes with 200cc of 10 weight fork oil.

repro decals finish them off

the dust caps and retainer clips were in good shape so they go back on

Replacing the transmission and cam bearings and the crank white metal bushing, heat the cases up to 300F, set the bearings outside on a cookie sheet on the snow bank

Pull the hot case out of the oven, drop the ice cold bearings into the hot case and they bearings drop right down, then fit the main roller bearing retainer plates

the crank white metal bush sits in a steel ring, got the ring real hot and the old bush was driven out, then reheat the steel retainer and push the new cold bush into place. The white bush retainer ring is held to the crankcase with three 3mm bolts, uses 3mm studs threaded into the retainer to guide the retainer / bush into the hot case, once cool removed the guide studs and then fitted the 3mm bolts.

Now I need to get the crank ground to fit the oversize shells and fit the new con rod small end bushes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2018, 11:13:38 PM »
...the crank white metal bush sits in a steel ring, got the ring real hot and the old bush was driven out, then reheat the steel retainer and push the new cold bush into place. The white bush retainer ring is held to the crankcase with three 3mm bolts, uses 3mm studs threaded into the retainer to guide the retainer / bush into the hot case, once cool removed the guide studs and then fitted the 3mm bolts.

Did you remember to put the copper washers on the 3 mm bolts?  :wink: I couldn't for the life of me figure out where those three tiny copper washers that Stuart sent me went. One of the guys on the Morini Facebook group set me right eventually. They're not used on early 3 1/2 Sport engines like I was building, since it has ball-bearings on both ends of the crank.

Enjoying this build more than the Guzzi ones.  :thumb:
Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2018, 11:55:17 PM »
Did you remember to put the copper washers on the 3 mm bolts?  :wink: I couldn't for the life of me figure out where those three tiny copper washers that Stuart sent me went. One of the guys on the Morini Facebook group set me right eventually. They're not used on early 3 1/2 Sport engines like I was building, since it has ball-bearings on both ends of the crank.

Enjoying this build more than the Guzzi ones.  :thumb:

Yep, are they there as an oil seal?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2018, 08:42:15 AM »
Yep, are they there as an oil seal?

Yes, crush washers to prevent oil leakage.
Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2018, 11:40:00 AM »
Yes, crush washers to prevent oil leakage.

Thanks Charlie!

The Moto Morini repair manual talks about making sleeved covers to go over the shafts to protect the oil seals during assembly of the bottom end, never done this before.

What are your thoughts / recommendations for fitting the gear clusters and crank through the oil seals during assembly?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »
Thanks Charlie!

The Moto Morini repair manual talks about making sleeved covers to go over the shafts to protect the oil seals during assembly of the bottom end, never done this before.

What are your thoughts / recommendations for fitting the gear clusters and crank through the oil seals during assembly?

I wasn't taking a chance on boogering up a seal, so made them for the crank, cam and countershaft:

Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »
Very nice, I will spark up the lathe this weekend.

canuck750

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2018, 03:28:36 PM »
I got the wheels back from the shop today, I went for Pirelli Sport Demons, they look pretty handsome with the fresh powder coated rims and new rotors.

The shop manager came out to tell me the trouble they had getting the Pirelli's to sit into the rims, apparently they spent hours messing with them, eventually fitted tire heaters to the tires, installed the tubes and pumped up pressure, then deflated the tubes and installed tire / tube. The shop had the same trouble fitting the same Pirelli tires to my 1977 Le Mans ..... they are not happy with me.

Both of these bikes have Italian mag wheels, the Moto Morini wheels are made by Grimeca, not sure who made the Guzzi LeMans wheels. I wonder if trouble is with the profile of the Pirelli tire or is the profile of the Italian rims?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2018, 04:28:08 PM »
I always have "fun" trying to get the beads to seat on Guzzi cast wheels, but don't remember any issue with the K2's Grimeca rims. But then, the tires I run (Shinko 712s) are likely a bit less stiff than the Pirellis.
Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »
I stripped the Ikon shocks that came on the Morini, seals and O rings looks good but the fluid was brown and milky, threw the lot into the ultrasonic cleaner for an hour, powder coated the shock bodies. The ultrasonic cleaner along with a blast of compressed air cleans out the valves, really just thin wafer discs of steel center fastened to a machined disc with tiny holes to control the flow of fluid. These Ikon shock seals were not partially dissolved like all of the KONI shocks I have rebuilt for the V7 Sport / 750S series of bike. Ikon must be using a modern compound O ring and seal that is resistant to hydraulic fluid.

Wolfgang Haerter in B.C. Canada distributes Ikon shocks and tells me that this particular model of Ikon take 71cc of fluid, and as they are older shocks he recommends 15 weight fluid. How Ikon came up with 71cc and not 70 or 75 is strange.

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2018, 02:32:06 PM »
I do love the results you get with ultrasonic cleaning Jim. What gear do you use?
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

canuck750

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »
I do love the results you get with ultrasonic cleaning Jim. What gear do you use?

To clean the shock parts I just used some ZEP concrete floor degreaser / cleaner I had in the garage, seemed to get the fluid residue out of the parts.

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2018, 10:51:30 AM »
Thanks. HarborFreight do a little ultrasonic cleaner unit, I think one may appear in my mancave soon...
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Offline brubache

• New Egg
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2018, 11:12:19 AM »
So tasty.  Looking amazing.

canuck750

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2018, 04:23:37 PM »
Started to hang the parts back onto the frame. I always enjoy working on fresh parts and fasteners, the work goes quickly with clean and fresh parts.

Having a parts manual makes the assembly so much easier, knowing where rubber washers go, flat washers, etc. and having taken a couple hundred pictures before and during the disassembly is invaluable. Like the manual says reassembly is the opposite of disassembly.  :laugh:

The stainless steel fenders polish up nicely with green polish and a buffing wheel

I am going to get the bike standing on its tires before I assemble the engine, machine work getting done next week.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2018, 04:37:39 PM »
 :thumb:
Charlie

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2018, 04:16:23 AM »
 :thumb: :1: :popcorn:
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here