Author Topic: leaking phase revolution sensor on B11  (Read 2560 times)

Doppelgaenger

leaking phase revolution sensor on B11
« on: December 10, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »
Hey all, I have a leaking phase revolution sensor, the little sensor in front of the left cylinder on my Breva 1100.

After looking at the parts list, I'm wondering why there are a total of seven different gaskets for this part? which one should I get?

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
Re: leaking phase revolution sensor on B11
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »
Those are not gaskets. They are fitting spacers. You will PROBABLY be all right with the spacer you currently have. Measure the length of the new switch and compare to the old. Any difference in length can be corrected with the spacers.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
Is there a reason I would need a new switch? I haven't pulled it out yet because it's hard to get to so I don't know why it's leaking. I just assumed to this point that there was a leaking gasket or maybe the o-ring is busted.

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »
Sometimes the sensor is the leak and IIRC there is a Loctite product for that.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »

Vasco DG

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 02:46:10 PM »
The 'Gasket' you refer to is in fact a metal shim used to ensure the correct clearance between the tip of the sensor and the 'Phonic wheel'.

If the sensor is leaking just undo the two Allen bolts that hold it in and wiggle it out. Make sure you don't loose the shim, it may stick to the sensor or the case or then again it may drop off once the sensor is out.

The o-ring sits in a countersink in the case. If the shim stays on the case don't disturb it. If it comes off with the senso then replace it. Seal the flat part of the sensor with sealant, I use Threebond 1211, making sure none gets on the tip and replace it. Tighten down the bolts. Job done.

Oh! Do this when the engine is COLD!

Pete

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 03:37:54 PM »
It leaked on my Bassa so I took it out and put it back using high temp silicon.  Worked great for 3 or 4 years.  Then I sold it to my dick head brother, who shortly there after started having intermittent problems with the motor cutting out.   He couldn't figure it out, so he took it to RoseFarm Classics where Jim Barron discovered some yellow hammer had removed the phase sensor and put it back minus a shim or two, but with some foul silicone to seal it!

I later had to admit to Jim that this was indeed my handy work he had to fix!   He said it was a miracle the thing even ran in such a condition!

My B1100 leaks from the same sensor, has for two years now, I just wipe it up every once in a while.  Having a black case really does take the urgency out of minor oil leaks!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 04:07:43 PM »
I've only just bought this bike, so at the moment I'm still trying to figure out where the oil is leaking from. The previous owner didn't really know anything whatsoever about mechanical anything. When I went to check the oil after buying it, the dipstick was completely dry and the bike had maybe 1.5 quarts in the sump, so it's leaking from somewhere, but it was also at the very end of the oil change interval so it had plenty of miles to get rid of the oil.

There is plenty of oil all down the left side of the engine from the phase rev sensor all the way down to the oil pan, but no real leaks.

I did see smoke coming off of it yesterday night when I would pull to a stop in the dark and some stuff wafted up in front of the headlight.

I know it's also leaking from the right side valve cover gasket, and it's due for a valve service about 500 miles ago.

Oh and there is oil leaking from the right side throttle body, but I know that's due to the airbox deal not being drained.

Maybe it's time for a trip up to Moto International.

Offline Wild Bill Guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 07:13:45 AM »
Home Depot has the O Rings.  Stopped my leak

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here