Author Topic: Modern rear shocks for an old Guzzi  (Read 8206 times)

canuck750

Modern rear shocks for an old Guzzi
« on: May 20, 2015, 02:07:02 PM »
I am looking for a set of shock absorbers for a 1975 750 S3, basically the same a 850 T3 as they share the same frame, swing arm, rear drive etc....

I have looked at YSS, Progressive, Gazi, IKON and Hagon sites. Does anyone have experience with any particular model? Looking for good quality but don't want to fit the piggy back reservoir type shock. Not going racing but want something that is effective, adjustable, etc.

My preference is that it look something like the original, black body and chrome springs. originals are Paoloi and look a lot like a stock Eldorado shock.

I put Hagon's on my Eldorado, much better than the stock shocks but I understand they are a pretty basic unit.

Thanks

Jim

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
Re: Modern rear shocks for an old Guzzi
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:23:22 PM »
Got Ikons for three years now, a bit stiff for me even with the lowest spring preload (76kg rider). They're ok I guess,

Offline gwb_mg

• Pemberton Twp, NJ
  • Gosling
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:44:47 PM »
I have the Ikons on my Cali II and will be putting them on my Convert, very pleased with them, better than the Progressive shocks I had.
2014 Cali Touring (current)
1984 Cali II "Auto" (current)
1980 Convert (current)
1976 Convert
1981 Convert
2002 Cali EV Touring (back in Boston)
2004 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory (back in Boston)

190 Octane

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
I have Hagon Nitros on my Titanium.  I've been really pleased with them.  I've never touched the preload, I was able to dial them into my liking with just the dampening adjustment.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 05:27:51 PM »
Ikon's on two Guzzis.  I had a custom Works Shock built for one that worked worse then the stock shock did new.....it's hard to build one worse then new!!! The Ikon out of the box was fantastic.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

canuck750

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 05:55:08 PM »
Thanks Guys,

I am going to follow John's experience and go for the IKON 7610-1297 - black body / chrome springs. Price wise they are right in the middle at $460.00 a pair, and I like that they are rebuildable.

The Progressive and Gazi options are more expensive and not much I can find on them relative to a Guzzi. 

Hagon is cheaper but I have those already and I know the KONI were stock on a lot of Guzzi's so I will try my luck with a pair.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 07:00:46 PM »
I am going to follow John's experience and go for the IKON 7610-1297 - black body / chrome springs. Price wise they are right in the middle at $460.00 a pair, and I like that they are rebuildable.

Yhat's what I used on Herr Dr. Pepper's V7 Sport restoration. They worked very well IMO, a little on the firm side, but will likely get better with use.
Charlie

Offline aschem

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 07:06:33 PM »
Put IKON shocks on my CB1100 made a big difference. Will put a set on my CALVIN this summer.

Offline harrytief

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 08:36:32 PM »
I REALLY like the Gazi Hyper X on the rear of my calvin. Comparable to Ohlins but cheaper. That said, the Ohlins on my two cx100's are as good as it gets. One cx wears a fully adjustable set but the second cx has the vintage look with no remote reservoir or adjustment. Pro Pilot set them up for my weight and riding style and they are outstanding.
Harry

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »
Just for reference mupo do adjustable length shocks with & without piggyback, they're not inexpensive though.
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline Guzzigary777

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 11:58:57 PM »
I haven't replaced the shocks on my '83 1000sp in such a long time that it has Koni's on it (and they still work great), but I just replaced the single rear shock on my 2000 Yammy royal star Venture with a Hagon. I have been very pleased with it's performance (and price).  It seems to be a very good quality unit.

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 03:10:18 AM »
Have always had great luck with Progressives. Used 'em on a T3, LeMans, Eldo, Cal II, and an SPIII.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 06:34:41 AM »
I loved Konis when I raced, but modern Ikons seem too harsh out of the box. If I could get a set with about 10,000 miles on them maybe. Progressives are only a little better out of the box, but still do not compare to the old Konis. Marzocchis? Not great. I had low end Ohlins, only Ok. I have had a couple of sets of custom "works performance" shocks. Took multiple returns for revalving to get right. Currently have a set of long travel Works shocks on my EldoVert.

One of the most important things for old guzzis (or any bike with a simple/non-floating driveshaft). Pick a rear spring rate that allows you to run minimal preload. In other words if you have to jack up preload to adjust ride height or prevent bottoming, get a stiffer spring. Preload on the old bikes helps the swingarm top out during acceleration by adding to the jack effect of the rear drive unit.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
I used to be very happy with these under my Cali
Best investment I ever did on a motorcycle
http://www.mawsolutions.com/html/body_about_fournales.html
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 04:04:52 PM »
I loved Konis when I raced, but modern Ikons seem too harsh out of the box. If I could get a set with about 10,000 miles on them maybe. Progressives are only a little better out of the box, but still do not compare to the old Konis. Marzocchis? Not great. I had low end Ohlins, only Ok. I have had a couple of sets of custom "works performance" shocks. Took multiple returns for revalving to get right. Currently have a set of long travel Works shocks on my EldoVert.

One of the most important things for old guzzis (or any bike with a simple/non-floating driveshaft). Pick a rear spring rate that allows you to run minimal preload. In other words if you have to jack up preload to adjust ride height or prevent bottoming, get a stiffer spring. Preload on the old bikes helps the swingarm top out during acceleration by adding to the jack effect of the rear drive unit.

A straight rate spring is best on the shaft drive bike for this reason.

Offline rbm

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 06:09:30 PM »
Contact Realm Engineering to see about fitting a pair of their RAM shocks.  Very well respected shock in the BMW K-bike community and they've branched out into producing the same design for classic bikes.  Here's my review of a pair I got for my M-G V7R
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here