Author Topic: Deep sump oil fill level, Le Mans II  (Read 3002 times)

Online Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
Deep sump oil fill level, Le Mans II
« on: May 22, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »
I have fitted a deep sump with external filter and a baffle/windage plate to the LM2, now I understand the reasoning behind the 'windage' side of the plate - that is to stop the crank whipping the oil out of the sump and turning it to foam, but the sump & filter only take 2.5L of oil when filled up to the underside of the plate, any more and oil will sit on top of the plate yet the spec says to put 3L in it.

Obviously when the engine's running a significant amount of the oil will be in circulation anyway so the sump will be emptier than when standing so I reckon 3L of oil would still keep the (running) oil level below the plate...

Thoughts, anyone?
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
Re: Deep sump oil fill level, Le Mans II
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 11:51:58 AM »
You reckon right. Use a suitable dipstick.

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:54:10 AM »
3 liter is for the oil filter change. 2.5 just for an oil fluid change.

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:03:01 PM »
I've got a deep sump fitted to my LM2.
I thought the baffle plate was fitted to prevent oil surging rearwards during acceleration and starving the oil pump.
The deep sump is to prevent the crank rotating through the (now lowered) oil level in the sump and also increase the
air volume in the crank cases and thus reduce the oil mist exiting the breather.
If I've got that wrong I'm sure I'll soon be put right by the gurus :)
Oh, and Gutsibits sell a dipstick for use with a deep sump.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:04:16 PM by Stevex »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:03:01 PM »

kirby1923

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 01:17:56 PM »
I have fitted a deep sump with external filter and a baffle/windage plate to the LM2, now I understand the reasoning behind the 'windage' side of the plate - that is to stop the crank whipping the oil out of the sump and turning it to foam, but the sump & filter only take 2.5L of oil when filled up to the underside of the plate, any more and oil will sit on top of the plate yet the spec says to put 3L in it.

Obviously when the engine's running a significant amount of the oil will be in circulation anyway so the sump will be emptier than when standing so I reckon 3L of oil would still keep the (running) oil level below the plate...

Thoughts, anyone?

I have a similar setup on my CX (LM II).
If I put in a new filter and 3 QT of oil it will slowly blow is out the breather
 to about 2.5 QT then stop if charging thru the hills.

If on the slab it will go to about 2.75 QT then stop blowing it out.

FWIW
:-)

Online Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 04:09:04 PM »
Thanks all, I have marked the dipstick at various points; Level with the windage plate and then at 15mm stick length/10mm oil depth both up and down the stick.

As it happens the 10mm depth steps equate to 0.5L each, up to the windage plate is 2.5L (sump holds 2.3 and filter 200ml) and I have put in 3L for now but am tempted to add more as the oil now sits much lower than before...      ;-T
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 04:41:07 PM »
the oil now sits much lower than before...

That's the point of fitting an extended sump.
It's not to add extra oil capacity, it's to create an extra air gap above the sump oil.

Online Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »
Yes, I know but it is so much bigger (about 1.5L more) that it's tempting to add, maybe 0.5L and yet still sit much lower, on the basis that more oil will cool everything better and probably, ultimately last longer?

But I'll stick with the 3L and see how I get on.  ;-T

Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

kirby1923

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »
Yes, I know but it is so much bigger (about 1.5L more) that it's tempting to add, maybe 0.5L and yet still sit much lower, on the basis that more oil will cool everything better and probably, ultimately last longer?

But I'll stick with the 3L and see how I get on.  ;-T

Go ahead and add but the big block  will blow it out to somewhere around 2.5 QT or so..is a mess.

:-)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here