Author Topic: 8V engine LHS hydraulic camchain tensioner  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
8V engine LHS hydraulic camchain tensioner
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:18:31 AM »
I am reading Guzzi technical bulletin on how to release the tension of the LHS camchain tensioner.

It recommends using a long screw driver wedging between the chain and the plastic slider and "exert a downward force"

From my understanding, the tensioner is a plunger filled with oil with a ball check valve at the bottom, it suppose to be hydraulically lock when one trying to compress it.

How does this long screw driver trick works? Bleeding the tensioner slowly through the gap around the plunger so that it could be compressed?

p/s: - Pete, I know you broke your Verde's plastic camchain slider before  ;D
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Vasco DG

Re: 8V engine LHS hydraulic camchain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 11:20:36 AM »
Nope, not mine. A customer's, while he was watching! Very embarassing! ;D

How it works is very simple. Brute force! You simply get the blade between the chain and tensioner and lever it out of the way until you can slip in whatever 'Pin' you are using through the hole in the tensioner.

The one I broke I'd not got the ip of the screwdriver between the blade of the tensioner and the chain and when I tapped it with my open palm to get it to slide into place it shattered the tensioner! It's a mistake I only plan to make ONCE as replacing the tensioner is an 'Engine Out' job!

Pete

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 8V engine LHS hydraulic camchain tensioner
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:35:04 AM »
Pete, I am reading this in preparation for the "rollerfication" of my Griso and possibly my mate's Stelvio.

My Griso will be 5 years old on next Monday, it is a keeper and I think the best think I can do is to give her a set of roller tappets  ;D
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here