Author Topic: My Cafe Racer Project  (Read 2714 times)

hybridfiat

My Cafe Racer Project
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:35:44 AM »
Because I thought I didnt have enough to do (tongue firmly in cheek), I have started a Cafe Racer project based on a Guzzi Nevada I picked up for the East.
It has been sitting around for quite some time (poss 10 years) in a workshop and came to me in bits.
The idea is to spend as little as possible (my wifes idea) and get a good looking town bike at the end.
Im getting there very slowly.
So far Ive obtained a tank. Suzuki GS from the 80s. Good nick and fits like it was made for the Guzzi. Even the rubber mounts will line up perfectly.
The adjustable clip-on bars are on their way.
The seat will be a 3mm aluminium plate with a lip to overlap the frame with a ?fiberglass tail. To hide the battery.
I want to keep the whole seating arrangement as low as possible. Im short you see.
The battery will be a tiny Lithium 12cell. I think I can source one in Oz.
The headlight has to move back about 30mm, to 'balance the eye' so Im going to have to lose the nice alloy mounts it is on.
The meshed trumpet intakes will get ordered next ($55) although a friend is encouraging me to go with K&N type pod filters.
Im not sure I want to outlay $203 just for filters.
Im open to a convincing argument that will change my mind. At the moment Im just after the 'look'.
The rearsets will be expensive, ($300 incl PP) plus Ill have to move the rear brake cylinder to match a V7 Guzzi. Ive not found a proprietary set to match the Nevada. Im happy to move the cylinder as it is in the V and I want a clear space in that V, it isnt hard to shift.
The wheels are becoming an issue, mostly because of cost. Ive set a budget on this project and they will blow it out of the water if I go with a new rim and spokes for the front which has some surface rust. Id like to change to 17". $600 is the cheapest Ive found so far, then theres a new tyre ($150).
So Im going with black powder coat for both wheels ($120) and the old tyre that has plenty of meat. If some day in the future I can afford it Ill change them.
Next week I get the engine started and running. I want to do a compression test on it before pulling the bike apart. Then if all is well; out it comes and the clean up starts. A carby kit through both carbs, respray the engine. Alter the frame (for the master cyl) and remove all offensive brackets, unused appendages, aircleaner box, etc and powder coat the frame, (I may as well do it at the same time as the wheels as Ill get a better deal.
The tank and wheel guards will be done in Guzzi red to match my Breva. A bit dearer than doing it with a tin but there you go.
The indicators will be the tiny LED variety and bar-end mirrors are on their way.
Im hoping to have it up and running before the holiday to Europe in April, so Im excited as a dog with 2 tails at the moment.
Im trying to find how to post a pic of the bike here but cant.
Can someone help?

Mike A.

260 miles round trip-7:30am-30F, 6:45pm-40F-feeling beat
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 04:16:18 AM »
"Skipped School" yesterday....the stress from pending furloughs at my job combined with a forecast for partly cloudy skies (and ice-free/salt-free roads) prompted me to to do it. First requirement on Thursday eve: Go out in the shed, hit the starter button on the bike. If it starts right up, I'm heading out. It did.

I'm still amazed that the 2001 EV starts up so easily. Yes, its on a trickle charger continuously...but whats with these Guzzi's? I have heard so many stories about "adjusting the TPS", failed tach or speedo, etc., but my Guzzi has just only gotten dirty (real dirty). Currently the left rear tailight stalk is being held on with Gorilla Tape (That stuff is great!). It snapped when I was putting the bike away in the shed one day. Its been there for about 3 months, and so far, no sign of letting go.

Well, I digressed...yes, I took the day off, and did my semi-annual trip from here to Newington CT and back, taking the troll-route (Northwestern RI into North Eastern CT, and southwestward into Glastonbury. The temps were a bit on the chilly side-the new heat packs I bought for the boots weren't as good as the older ones..gotta fix that. Chilly toes, even when the rest of you is warm can be a serious detractor to enjoyment!
First stop, mile 56: Zips diner in Dayville, CT. In spite of a good breakfast of hot cream of wheat chock-full of nuts, fruit, etc., I had a bacon-egg-n-cheese sandwich and 2 cups of Joe. Lingered a little longer than intended due to very cute looking waitress and hostess!
Mounted up, headed down Rt. 169 basked in sunshine (yet still feeling cold). I kept saying to myself "come-on sun!" it didn't seem to help). Had to take a second stop in Glastonbury after gas-up in center (rip-off gas prices at the mobil: $4.50/gal! that bastard!). Lingered at a Panera bread, sitting next to a young mother and her brand new baby (like within a week or so). The kid looked extremely cute and quite, and that entertained me. Nearly fell asleep there (getting old?? I am hitting the big 6-O this year!).

Jumped back on the bike, and puttered into W1AW at the American Radio Relay League in Newington, CT. Guest operated the station for a few hours, operating CW & SSB. Swung the beam to-and-fro; what a radio telescope a 5 element mono-band yagi at 120 ft. can be! Again, nearly fell asleep at the key...(getting old?). Packed up and headed back at 4pm. Made a mental note that the temp was 40F...wished it was at least 45-50...the 125 miles homeward would be better with a bit of warmth. Decided to take Rt. 2 Eastward to 395 N and then 101 again, eastward. Kept the speed up there....and avoided the long-slog I usually do on 169 northwards to Pomfret. Just needed to cut-back on saddle time to beat the sunset.
This bike has been unbelievably reliable....I don't really do much to it...just ride it, change the oil, plugs, etc. The air-bleed screws seem to self-adjust (the wrong way..why no locking feature??). With the La Franconis is the same old tractor on two wheels. Met a radio op at W1AW who was from Italy, and he marveled that I had one (he rode a Harley). Told me that in Italy, the joke is that Guzzis are so reliable, that near the end of their lives, you can take the engine out and use it to heat your house. (whatever that means).

Just ranting here......spring is around the corner, my job may be furloughed, I'm turning 60, and had to hit the sack early due to feeling like I was digging trenches all day (the cold did it, right??).

CS..

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
while i'm at it, what else should i do?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
well, i remove my tranny from my lemans mk1 to be sent to zydeco for a freshening up and noticed some wet gunk on the bottom of the bellhousing and a general light oily coating around the entire inside.  all the clutch, flywheel parts etc.. are all dry.  i assume rear main seals are in order.  is there anything else i should be doing besides those 2 seals while i have it part?
thanks
allen

Offline davidwb

• New Egg
Backfiring 850-T3 Cali
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 03:25:25 AM »
Can anyone help?
My old bike starts OK and runs with the choke pistons raised. When I drop them as she warms up she is fine but then I get a really noticeable drop in power and she becomes lumpy. Opening the throttle gives no real result and then I get a big backfire out of the exhaust and a plume of black soot.
Power comes and goes almost as if a connection is failing and then correcting. I have replaced the ignition system with a Dynatek and changed the advance springs at the same time. It has made no difference!
Could it be carburettor trouble? I found yesterday that she was only running on the left side at one point as when I took off the right side plug lead it made no difference whereas when I took off the left side she stopped instantly. I cannot ride her like this.
Has anyone had similar problems?

Wildguzzi.com

Backfiring 850-T3 Cali
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 03:25:25 AM »

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
Authentic Dainese Guzzi jacket half price on ebay
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 08:03:19 AM »
I have one of these and the quality is outstanding. Very warm when liner is in. The fabric keeps the wind off much like leather.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTO-GUZZI-NORGE-RIDING-JACKET-AUTHENTIC-by-DAINESE-/271112800696?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item3f1f9509b8&vxp=mtr
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Vinyl repair
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
I'm finishing up the Lario, and had snagged this pretty nice seat off Ebay. Cheap.  ;D The only real damage is this little L shaped tear about 1/2" long on each leg. I took it to the local auto upholsterer, and he said, "Nope, can't fix it. I can make you a new cover."
I don't think so.. ~;
So, how do you do it?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
Overfill of Transmisson
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »
My son was buttoning up the transmisson on my Ballabio, and didn't measure the amount of High Shock he put in the.  The sight glass is completly full, and thinks he put about a liter in. (about 2 half bottles)  Is 150 liter over fill bad for the transmisson?  Now it does through some of the milkshake out the vent when I ride her, so it will throw out the excess in short time.  My OCD says to drain it all out, buy a new bottle and put exactly 850 ml in. Should I or shouln't I. What say you?
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline dawdish

• Gosling
  • Lifes Better with bugs in your teeth
Little Jewel NGC
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 12:06:16 AM »
I went to visit a friend and customer today, who is finding that with age and health problems, that he isnt going to get to finnish the project bikes he has. Besides the Triumphs and Guzzi V7 he had in the barn, he had this little jewel that he has had since he was 15 yrs old. He doesnt remember what it is, just that it has a Moto Morini 49cc engine.

'81 G5 Cafe
'16 Eldorado
'76 T3 V1000

Offline dawdish

• Gosling
Little Jewel NGC
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 12:07:39 AM »
I went to visit a friend and customer today, who is finding that with age and health problems, that he isnt going to get to finnish the project bikes he has. Besides the Triumphs and Guzzi V7 he had in the barn, he had this little jewel that he has had since he was 15 yrs old. He doesnt remember what it is, just that it has a Moto Morini 49cc engine.

'81 G5 Cafe
'16 Eldorado
'76 T3 V1000

Offline dawdish

• Gosling
Little Jewel NGC
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 12:09:37 AM »

'81 G5 Cafe
'16 Eldorado
'76 T3 V1000

Offline dawdish

• Gosling
Little Jewel NGC
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 12:11:23 AM »

'81 G5 Cafe
'16 Eldorado
'76 T3 V1000

Offline dawdish

• Gosling
Little Jewel NGC
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 12:15:11 AM »

'81 G5 Cafe
'16 Eldorado
'76 T3 V1000

Offline dawdish

• Gosling
Little Jewel NGC
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 12:16:44 AM »

'81 G5 Cafe
'16 Eldorado
'76 T3 V1000

Offline dawdish

• Gosling
Little Jewel NGC
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 12:19:29 AM »

'81 G5 Cafe
'16 Eldorado
'76 T3 V1000

yourfavorite

MG dealer recommendations in the Los Angeles area.
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 08:27:42 PM »
Forgive me if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't find anything via search. Hoping some folks here can vouch for one of the MG dealers in the LA area. I'm interested in purchasing a MG soon and would love to hear people's thoughts on the dealers here. The three under an hour from me are:

Moto Guzzi Sherman Oaks (aka Vespa Sherman Oaks)
Pro Italia Motors
Moto Guzzi Thousand Oaks (aka Vespa Thousand Oaks)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here