Author Topic: VHB30 Do I grease the carb slide?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline telphoto

• ozzie, ozzzie, ozzie, oi, oi, oi.
  • New Egg
VHB30 Do I grease the carb slide?
« on: July 13, 2017, 08:19:10 AM »
My T3 has developed a frustrating problem with the revs returning to idle very slowly, like the engine is running on a little. I fitted the lighter slide springs to the carbs several years ago to get some relief from the bullworker-level grip I had to use to keep the throttle open and had no problems until this rev return problem occurred recently.

I've lubricated the twist grip and cables, and carefully checked routing.. they're fine and the slide moves smoothly in the body of the carb. I was thinking about putting the older, stronger springs back in to see if that makes a difference, but a friend of mine suggested I should grease the slide to make sure it doesn't hang up but the idea of having grease in the carb body didn't seem right to me. Grateful if anyone can shed some light on this for me.
Everywhere I go - there I am!

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
Re: VHB30 Do I grease the carb slide?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 08:47:01 AM »
     I've been using the stock spring along with a velcroed on helper dohickey that your hand rests on(can't remember what it is called). Mind you, if your gasket between the intake and the head itself is leaking air it will give you the same symptoms. Give the area a shot of WD or other flamable liquid while it is idling and see if the rpm changes.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:53:08 AM »
Greasing isn't going to help except for maybe a few minutes until it gets washed away. Sounds like you'll need to go back to stronger return springs.
Charlie

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »
double check a bend/kink in the cable

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:03:41 AM »
     I've been using the stock spring along with a velcroed on helper dohickey that your hand rests on(can't remember what it is called). Mind you, if your gasket between the intake and the head itself is leaking air it will give you the same symptoms. Give the area a shot of WD or other flamable liquid while it is idling and see if the rpm changes.
doohickey

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »
Your slides or carb bodies may be worn causing the slides to be sucked up against tbe body at an angle which binds them in the bores.
Ensure there are no grooves, etc in everything and install the stock springs.
The square slides imo have always been harder to pull than the round.
How old are your cables? The sleeves may be worn causing them to bind.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 11:36:16 AM »
I agree with Charlie. And those doohickey things help too.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

canuck750

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »
Your problem is the lighter springs, I had this problem on a 750S3 and my Eldorado recently, reinstalled the original springs and problem solved. Make sure your cables are lubricated.

Offline danedg

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »
I just returned to the OEM springs because of the idle problem. With the Tomaselli 2Cable setup you can set the throttle for the open road and cruise all day.  Around town or stop and go and you'll need Popeye forearms... :whip2:
'74 Eldo
'65 R60/2
'68 R60US
'54 R51/3
'78 Honda Hawk
'95 Mystic

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 09:21:18 PM »
Your slides or carb bodies may be worn causing the slides to be sucked up against tbe body at an angle which binds them in the bores.
Ensure there are no grooves, etc in everything and install the stock springs.
The square slides imo have always been harder to pull than the round.
How old are your cables? The sleeves may be worn causing them to bind.

^^ this.  The square slides tend to get pushed forward against the bore, causing rubbing.  The rubbing makes the clearance greater and scores the bore and the slide.  If you pull the slide you will see the polishing -- shiny where it should be dull.  At some point, as TC says, the bore angle and the slide angle cause the slide to bind in the bore.  Then it won't fully return until the springs overcome the airflow and the binding.  You can get a little more life out of them by polishing out the scores, but the clearance and angles are forever worn.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 12:56:44 AM »
Put the original springs in reroute the cables and lube them.  Get a "Throttle Rocker" to help.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here