Author Topic: Mapping for the Calvin successfully completed  (Read 2006 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Mapping for the Calvin successfully completed
« on: March 30, 2018, 09:06:40 PM »
Hey guys, just wanted to offer a follow up on a thread I posted several months ago when I began an endeavor to rid my Calvin of several negative issues due to the inadequate 02 sensor closed loop system. The straw that broke the camels back was back in the fall, during a very warm day I experienced extreme spark knock when accelerating from most any RPM range. Also spitting back when starting off and throttle hesitation. Bottom line, running way to lean due to EPA restrictions. When I posted my problem several of the guys here immediately responded with the fact the only reasonable fix was to go to open loop system and eliminating the 02 sensor.  I had no idea what the heck that meant. After I ask a few questions, exposing my ignorance about the subject, I got the break I needed. One of our extremely knowledgeable forum members here spoke up and offered to help me, beginning a great learning experience and friendship. He is known here as Beetle, to me he is Mark, my buddy from that land down under.
For the next few months he walked me and my wife through the entire process of downloading the revised maps as he would make changes as I could work rides in between winter weather and report back. I�m proud to report tonight that together we have worked out a map for the 1100 motor, like in my 07 Cal vintage that is a great preformer in every aspect of Preformance!  I just finished a 600 mile ride and she preformed flawlessly, even turning out an average fuel milage of 48 MPG.
Id like to thank Beetle for all his patience with training me and my wife to being able to accomplish what we were able to do. I know he put a lot of time and energy in helping us with this as well as a lot of his personal time.
I�m by no means advertising here but I can assure anyone who needs a great map for a Calvin, one can be obtained through Beetle Maps;)
Thank for reading.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Mapping for the Calvin successfully completed
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 10:05:27 PM »
That's got to feel good, to know that (with help) you got your bike running at its best, and you're able to enjoy every mile of knowing that it's running right ....

Hope you have many happy miles with it!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

twowings

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 10:30:11 AM »
I have a Beetle map for my Norge and it runs like a dream...Mark is the man!  :bow:

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »
sounds great!!!!

My Calvin ran so poorly I converted back to Carbs!!!   :copcar:

However the 1100 engine is now out of the bike and getting a full blueprint, so if the map is as good as you say I could be in the hunt for a copy one of these days....

good on ya and Beetle   :thumb:  :thumb:   :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 09:58:22 AM »
sounds great!!!!

My Calvin ran so poorly I converted back to Carbs!!!   :copcar:

However the 1100 engine is now out of the bike and getting a full blueprint, so if the map is as good as you say I could be in the hunt for a copy one of these days....

good on ya and Beetle   :thumb:  :thumb:   :thumb:
It took us several rides to completely tweak her out. My last several miles I have found no flaw to correct any further. My fuel milage went down a couple  MPG due to no longer running too lean but still getting 45-48 on the road. The thing pulls like monster all the way to redline! I love it, never go back to closed loop and 02 sensor.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 07:11:28 PM by Ncdan »

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 05:51:13 PM »
Ncdan,

Congratulations to you and Mark for the work you've done to complete this. Are you adding a map to something like a Power Commander 5 or programming the ECU directly with something like the Maximus software system? I remember reading on this forum years ago from all the naysayers that these options are anything from junk to not needed on a Moto Guzzi. I knew better and of course you do as well. I've had a PC5 and a dyno tune on my Victory Cross Country Tour for over 45K miles now and all I can say is: I love it!

And yes, my 02 sensors have been relocated to a box on a shelf in my garage since the day it was tuned to run correctly. Just about any EPA compliant 'big' motorcycle can be made to run better, cooler and return higher fuel mileage with custom tuning.

I had many Moto Guzzi bikes over the years and everything from the V10 Centauro, the V11 Bassa, a CalVin and the 1400 California Touring I recently test rode had a fuel table/map that all needed a lot of work from what the factory put out. My 106" Victory performed and sounded constipated until new fueling and a few aftermarket parts liberated it from the original government mandates.   

Again, congratulations to you and Mark.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 05:56:57 PM by TN Mark »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 07:32:41 PM »
Ncdan,

Congratulations to you and Mark for the work you've done to complete this. Are you adding a map to something like a Power Commander 5 or programming the ECU directly with something like the Maximus software system? I remember reading on this forum years ago from all the naysayers that these options are anything from junk to not needed on a Moto Guzzi. I knew better and of course you do as well. I've had a PC5 and a dyno tune on my Victory Cross Country Tour for over 45K miles now and all I can say is: I love it!

And yes, my 02 sensors have been relocated to a box on a shelf in my garage since the day it was tuned to run correctly. Just about any EPA compliant 'big' motorcycle can be made to run better, cooler and return higher fuel mileage with custom tuning.

I had many Moto Guzzi bikes over the years and everything from the V10 Centauro, the V11 Bassa, a CalVin and the 1400 California Touring I recently test rode had a fuel table/map that all needed a lot of work from what the factory put out. My 106" Victory performed and sounded constipated until new fueling and a few aftermarket parts liberated it from the original government mandates.   

Again, congratulations to you and Mark.
I�m still by no means an expert on this subject but no I have not added any other device to my ECU. After beetle sent me the information as to the hardware I would need to hook my wife�s laptop to the computer in the Calvin, Mark walked my wife through the process of downloading my map onto our computer then
forwarding it to him. He intern makes changes, using his experience and possibly other information he has  acquired, I assume, then send the revised map back to our computer and Wife downloads it back into my ECU. I then woukd ride the Calvin and report back how it was preforming and he would intern again make necessary adjustments and send it back. We did this over a 3 month period as to bring her to perfection. It�s not real difficult if you have a fairly good set of computer skills as my wife does and someone like mark has the patience to walk someone through the process as he did us. I definitely could not have did this on my own. I can swear by this map as I am a perfectionist and pestered poor ole Mark at least a dozen times making changes. Personally I don�t see how there could be a superior map out there for this 1100 engine, it�s simply perfect now.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 09:03:01 PM »
Great news, Dan. The Vintage is a wonderful bike, but is so much better with proper fueling. Just in time for the warmer weather, too!
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 07:21:21 AM »
Great news, Dan. The Vintage is a wonderful bike, but is so much better with proper fueling. Just in time for the warmer weather, too!
I agree sheep. This is only my second guzzi as I had an 04 Cal EV 1100 hydro. I really liked that bike also but got spooked when it developed a shaft seal leak. My Harley mechanic agreed rd to attempt to fix it for me. Afterwards he told me not to bring it to his shop again:( my closed dealer is 100+ miles away so I decided to see it. The first time I saw a Cal vintage I knew I had to have one. With the help of the guys here on this forum I’m learning to do the maintenance and simple repairs myself and an old friend who has been a certified Honda mechanic is also willing to help. The dealer where he just retired had Guzzis for a couple years and he’s pretty familiar with them also.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here