Author Topic: Castrol GTX "Classic"  (Read 1417 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Castrol GTX "Classic"
« on: June 25, 2021, 02:01:50 PM »
Hello Folks, I was checking out the oil aisle at Walmart , like i usually do, and saw this CastrolGTX Classic next to the regular GTX both in 20-50. When reading further, it states its formulated special for flat tappet engines that need added zinc. Its labeled as "High Zinc and phosphorous"  . According to the data sheet on their website it has 1400 ppm zinc... Hey thats cool! At $5 bucks a qt. I picked up six quarts, 3 for the ural, and 3 for my Eldorado. Its nice to see they are making products for our vintage iron.   :thumb: :thumb:
Rick
From the bottle label.....
"Castrol GTX Classic is a high performance formula for push-rod, flat tappet engines and performance cam applications. Specially formulated for classic/collector cars, muscle cars, hot rods, and race cars. Learn more at www.castrol.com.

● Specialized additives containing high Zinc and Phosphorus for extreme wear protection
● Formulated to maintain tough and thick oil film even under severe conditions
● Minimal foaming and high resistance to thermal degradation
● Compatible with gasoline and alcohol based fuels

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE IN MODERN VEHICLES WITH CATALYTIC CONVERTERS

● Meets API SJ"
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 02:08:28 PM by bigbikerrick »
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

jwinwi

Re: Castrol GTX "Classic"
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 04:09:27 PM »
Thank you for posting! Will look for it.  :thumb:

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 04:51:48 PM »
Mike Harper told me to use Valvoline Racing 30 some yeas ago. Never changed, never will. :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 05:07:36 PM »
Mike Harper told me to use Valvoline Racing 30 some yeas ago. Never changed, never will. :thumb:

As long as you think there hasn't been any R&D or advancements in oil for the last 30 years, that could still be a valid suggestion.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 05:07:36 PM »

Offline mondtster

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 05:41:56 PM »
Unfortunately, it says it is not meant for wet clutches. I may try it in my old Triumph anyway to see what happens.

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 05:57:42 PM »
How 'bout a pic of that old Trumpet? :gotpics:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 06:14:41 PM »
Unfortunately, it says it is not meant for wet clutches. I may try it in my old Triumph anyway to see what happens.
Hey,I used Valvoline VR1 conventional oil in my T140 with an Aerco 7 plate conversion..On the VR1 bottle it says not for wet clutches..The clutch worked smooth, no slip or stuck plates. Stock friction plates might react different..

Offline mondtster

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 06:30:39 PM »
Hey,I used Valvoline VR1 conventional oil in my T140 with an Aerco 7 plate conversion..On the VR1 bottle it says not for wet clutches..The clutch worked smooth, no slip or stuck plates. Stock friction plates might react different..

Yeah, I used VR1 in mine before I rebuilt it when I had the original clutch. It was obvious that VR1 had friction modifiers in it because it was far easier to unstick the plates than it was with the Valvoline motorcycle oil. After the rebuild and modern clutch frictions I used some break in oil in it. I could make the clutch slip when I was pushing it pretty hard. The clutch quit slipping when I went back to the Valvoline motorcycle oil. I never have tried VR1 in it since the rebuild.

The good news is that the Triumph clutches seem to be pretty resilient to abuse. I'm not too scared of trying this oil to see what happens. I suspect it is just the old school Castrol GTX with new labeling to reach a specific market. It seems like GTX is/was pretty popular in these bikes so I have hope that it will be ok.

Offline mondtster

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 06:36:22 PM »

How 'bout a pic of that old Trumpet? :gotpics:

Here’s how it currently sits.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 10:09:17 AM »
As long as you think there hasn't been any R&D or advancements in oil for the last 30 years, that could still be a valid suggestion.

Same motor. If it's workin' don't fix it.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 04:38:05 PM »
Hello Folks, I was checking out the oil aisle at Walmart , like i usually do, and saw this CastrolGTX Classic next to the regular GTX both in 20-50. When reading further, it states its formulated special for flat tappet engines that need added zinc. Its labeled as "High Zinc and phosphorous"  . According to the data sheet on their website it has 1400 ppm zinc... Hey thats cool! At $5 bucks a qt. I picked up six quarts, 3 for the ural, and 3 for my Eldorado. Its nice to see they are making products for our vintage iron.   :thumb: :thumb:
Rick

Makes sense to me! More of the good stuff that catalytic converters can't tolerate. Not available at my usual Farm & Fleet, but there it was at Walmart, $4.68 per quart. Got 8. Thanks!!
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 05:48:44 PM »
i have always LOVED old Triumphs...and that's a nice one! :thumb: :boozing: :cool: :bow: 

Here is my neighbor's 1970 Bonneville "Street Tracker"...I have ridden this bike and it is a BLAST to ride! :thumb: :cool: :boozing:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here