Author Topic: V711 Running hot on one side  (Read 5654 times)

Lank

V711 Running hot on one side
« on: December 01, 2015, 07:06:06 AM »
My new  (16) V7 has run hot on the left since new.. either that or cold on the other side???   Discolored pipe (on one side) since new,,,30 to 60 degrees are measured by digital thermometer on head..  Has been reflashed (dealer) at first service.   I installed open exhausts to cool it down some, didn't help...  switched O2 sensors from right to left (got worse)...Have been thinking of Todd's Reflash but am concerned about warranty issues if I do.....Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: V711 Running hot on one side
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 08:09:25 AM »
How many miles are on your new bike ?

30 to 60 degrees difference between the two cylinders ?  What are the actual numbers and where are you measuring ?

The 1TB EFI self adjusts, so free flowing mufflers won't change much.  On older bikes, it would lean them out and make them run hotter, so not sure why you thought it would cool things.

Have you checked your valve clearances?

My 2014 V7 Special blued the left pipe quicker than the right.  I didn't measure the heat.  The bike is running fine.  After 1500 miles, the pipes match.  I did torque the heads, set the valves, and have the map updated and EFI reset at 600 miles.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:10:37 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 09:41:10 AM »
I haven't seen one that's blued the same yet.  Not saying there isn't anything wrong with yours, just saying it seems a normal part of the break-in for these V7s.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Lank

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »
800 miles on it now,  measured at head a whole bunch of times,  60 degrees spread is common as it reaches peak temp...flipped 02 left to right and made it a bunch worse...has had first service (first time I have ever had a bike to a shop)  valves etc then plus ECU update..no change...my Norge runs essentially same both sides, this one has 2 O2 sensors vs one  thinking maybe that...shop this Friday....really didn't want blue pipes on this one very badly but no PC available...dealer told me to try the pipes, the system obviously has enough capability to adjust for that, my Norge adjusted for airbox and exhaust mods no problem...no bluing either ....would be interesting to measure a bunch of them and see what (normal) is  stock and with a reflash

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 08:27:41 AM »
really didn't want blue pipes on this one 

Well, every V7 I've seen has really blue pipes.  Probably due to the type of steel used, and the chrome plating.

I like it.  Old School.  Sort of like the chrome drag pipes on my 1974 XLCH.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 08:41:26 AM »
I love the blue pipes on my little Stone.  BTW love the honey straw colored pipes on the big Stone also.  Don't understand the aversion to pipes coloring just seems natural to me and part of the bike's character.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:51:36 AM »
 Blueing is normal , seems the OP is more concerned with the difference in temps between cylinders .

Dave my brother , that golden straw color on the stainless head pipes is beautiful , even HD riders have asked how to get that color , "buy a Guzzi" is my usual response  :evil: Stainless steel makes a great header material  :thumb:

Dusty

Lank

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 09:15:47 AM »
maybe the post should have been  (V7 running cool on one side),   I honestly don't know if one side is too hot or one side too cool ...hope to find out....the bluing does look fine, on one side lol
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:17:42 AM by Lank »

Lank

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 07:35:29 AM »
At the shop and problem has been diagnosed and called in for warranty coverage and repair.. will let you know what it takes..  I suspect there are others out there doing same......you can actually feel a differential in exhaust pulses from left to right..

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 07:51:05 AM »
What was the diagnosis ?
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Lank

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 07:24:14 AM »
well if there is not an easy answer to a problem then there is not a problem.....they don't know and it evidently doesn't matter enough to find out.....When I get the bike back I will 1. continue to check and log heat discrepancy left to right  2.  use a Kestral to measure exhaust pulses (hence velocity of exhaust left to right)   which is substantial   3..  I will check compression .... Then when its not right I will say to hell with Guzzi and go get the ECU reflashed at Guzzitech ...Just don't want to dick up a warranty until I am sure ...I would say dick up a good warranty but that would be laughable.. my second new Guzzi and the first bike I have ever had into a real shop

redrider

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 07:42:57 AM »
Only one injector, right? I opt for valves or air leak. My V11 right side header would glow cherry red at night when the unseen crack occurred. Felt hotter as well. Fixed the crack, all is well.

Blueing has been  :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu. Double wall pipes slowed the process-usually until the next owner had it for a while. I had an old 1200 Goldwing running poorly. Had been sitting with fuel in the carbs. Owner cleaned the carbs but sluggish to rev. Drop the headers and the inner wall had become so hot from a lean mix that it had actually expanded against the outer and buckled inwards. It resembled an E-clip in profile. I am running my stainless pipes on the Sport and V11 loose-ish to prevent stress cracks. 20000 miles, no cracks.

Lank

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 08:52:22 AM »
they have 2 injectors and two O2 sensors, one throttle body,,,so the answer should be easy..  1..O2 sensor  2.. Injector  3.  ECU  4..or maybe someone pounded a potato up my exhaust, but I doubt it..lol

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 02:52:19 PM »
The MIU G3 is programmed to read the right cylinder O2 level, adjust the right injector for a preset fuel/air ratio, then automatically lean the left injector by about 5%.  I can get the actual numbers if you like.  Anyway, this is how my V7 II Racer is set up.  No way around it except for a re-flash. 
The OP's bike is running as it should from Guzzi. 

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 03:19:23 PM »
On my 2016 V7II with just under 400 miles both sides are equally blue.
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Lank

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 07:34:42 AM »
MWREN   that is very interesting!!  I just wonder how an injector is adjusted??  but it seems funny to have a 2 cylinder running on  1 1/2..lol, tho I imaging at different RPM levels fueling levels out??  Maybe its for economy, all my auto engines have an "eco" mode ...in any event its a bit of a secret because so far 2 dealers have not known of it
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 07:36:11 AM by Lank »

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 09:00:50 AM »
The MIU G3 is programmed to read the right cylinder O2 level, adjust the right injector for a preset fuel/air ratio, then automatically lean the left injector by about 5%.  I can get the actual numbers if you like......
I'd like to know where this information comes from.  There are 2 Lambda sensors, why read only the right one?
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 09:11:01 AM »
It wouldn't hurt to try a leak down test....both warm and cold engine.
2014 Morgan Three Wheeler

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 03:18:17 PM »
Any difference in spark plug electrode color?

Lank

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 07:39:02 AM »
a slight difference, grey on the Rt and white on the Lt, Steve at RMC did all they would let him do..according to Guzzi experts its just fine, measuring exhaust flow, with a Kestral, shows a difference, temp difference as well...Its at idle thru mid range which concerns me as the system should not be "open" at mid range...hard to say what top end temps are?  I am thinking cylinder filling with the Y manifold and no crossover, but the 02 sensors should adjust for that?? Perhaps they aren't quite "in spec"   First bike I have owned that ever went back to a shop for servicing .  Maybe thats what I am doing wrong,  had a Ford truck in 05 that didn't run right  dealer said to "chip" it, laughable..  They couldn't fix it...sold it, new owner chipped it and its great since..  Emissions requirements???!!! 

Lank

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 07:09:45 AM »
Big thanks to Todd@Guzzitech for the reflash, temps are same both sides now...Bike is stronger at mid range, wants to run 5000 in 6th (85) now, as its happy place...Got 50 mpg in 200 miles yesterday running a bit over 70 mostly and over a 100 a couple of times....Wish I had another 1000 RPM, never liked that 7000 rev limit..the V7 has a funny little engine, they say 40 RWHP but with the torque curve and gearing they run like they have quite a bit more ....I would recommend the reflash tho, much more in the middle and mileage seemed to stay the same

Online Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 08:59:13 AM »
Glad you got it sorted!

The V7 line is sweet.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 12:03:04 PM »
Im glad you got the temperature issue sorted Jeff. Your racer sure sounded sweet when you took off from the Guzzi breakfast yesterday....that little beast sure has an "authoritative bark"! :thumb:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here