Author Topic: Wanted: V7III Handlebar Replacement Options  (Read 5288 times)

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
Wanted: V7III Handlebar Replacement Options
« on: March 05, 2019, 11:16:01 AM »
I'm looking to replace Anni's bar with one that is more swept back and maybe a few inches higher.  Being a woman, shorter arms come with the territory and my back/wrists don't like prolonged periods supporting me feminine bits.  I would like a bar that is 4 or 5 inches closer to my body and a little higher for a good sit up a beg position.  If risers are needed, they must blend with the Anniversario number plate, as I'm trying not to mess with the stock appearance.

Someone on WG said they purchased one they liked from Amazon but I couldn't find the post that the info was contained in (he wasn't the OP).  I would appreciate links whenever possible and brand/model numbers when not, so I can search them out. 

I understand that there is a small hole in the stock bar that the controls lock into that will need to be dealt with which isn't an issue.  I would be grateful for any tips and tricks to make the replacement easier too.

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts. :bow: :gotpics: :bow:

GG

PS.
I'll take closer over higher if it comes to a choice.   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 01:03:38 PM by Guzzi Gal »
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
Re: Wanted: V7III Handlebar Replacement Options
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 12:05:42 PM »
I believe the most versatile bar - one that has the best chance of yielding a position matching your ideal - is the Raask Laverda Jota bar.  By rotating the bar, it will go higher; lower; closer or farther from the rider.  The adjustable middle and outer sections allow sweep and angle to be tuned to suit the rider's exact preference. It truly offers nearly infinite adjustability.  In addition, it will bolt directly to your bike's bar clamp - no messing with fork tubes or risers.

I searched long and hard for a bar that would adjust to the position my hands, arms and body naturally assume on the bike. Finally found it.

https://shop.tecbikeparts.com/products/jota-bars-silver
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 12:06:53 PM by Diploman »
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 12:43:49 PM »
Be aware if you're looking for around 6 inches of total adjustment (up and back), you might run into cable length issues.  Something to check out.

Rox pivot risers are nice but they'll only give you a couple inches and won't adjust hand angle.  If you limit risers to 2 in and under I think you can normally avoid any cabling work.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 01:41:58 PM »
Brows around Flanders site, there are more 7/8" bars than just this page. It will give you an idea of how to measure and what can be had.

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/ImportedMotorcycles/ImportHandlebars/ImportStreet/78moreStreet.html

If you like the angle for your wrists, maybe risers to move the stock bar back a bit. That's what I did for my EV.

https://roxspeedfx.com/

Good luck!
Tom
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:48:04 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 01:41:58 PM »

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 01:58:03 PM »

I bought Jota bars for a project bike and they worked fine but I didn't care for the aesthetics. YMMV.

Handlebars are measured in three dimensions: Height, width and pullback. Measure your current bars to get a baseline.

Since your bike doesn't have a centerstand (AFAIK) get a friend to hold the bike upright while you sit on it in riding position, feet on the pegs. Put your hands at your side and make two fists.

Close your eyes and put those two fists where you think the most comfortable position would be. Open your eyes and see what the difference is vis-a-vis your stock bars. Now buy a cheap set from Dennis Kirk as a trial:

https://www.denniskirk.com/handlebars/265:24104.attrs

If you like it, great, feel free to spend a fortune on a nicer set or keep your cheap bars. Repeat as necessary.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 02:37:06 PM »
Just keep in mind that "comfy in the garage" does not directly translate to "comfy at 110 km/h on the highway".

Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 02:57:40 PM »

Something else to look at is your risers. If they are mounted conventionally on your triple clamp you may find a set on ebay that will move you up and back  for relatively cheap. Your Number plate should bolt on also. I installed these on my V11 sport and everything lined up. About 11/2" up and 1" back

Happy Hunting!
      Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 04:45:27 PM »
Another vote for the Raask Laverda bars. Worked for me on the V7 C. There's adjustment on all three axes. I kept moving them until the position was comfortable for a solid day of riding - took several day rides until right. A minute adjustment can have a large effect on comfort. You may have to arrange longer cables (mine needed shorter - the Racer cables are the right length). Don't drill the holes for the switch blocks until you are sure of the right position - use a few winds of electrical tape until you are sure. Should the bars be too wide for you, they can be shortened by cutting the excess off - just be sure before you cut.

If the resulting asthetics do not please, at least you will have sorted the required dimensions & angles - thus a decent chance of an appropriate alternative.

It's a lot of fiddling around, the the effort is well worth it.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 04:56:54 PM »
Also, you might want to check this site out:  http://cycle-ergo.com/ 

You can enter your height, the bike, and play with rise and pull back, etc. and get an idea of how things might turn out.  Well, they don't have a III, but have a II. 

And as others have said, at some point your front brake hose and electric wires can't go any further ... not sure how many inches you have before that happens.

As for the bar holes & mounting pins ... I've heard of some guys trying to carefully determine where to drill new holes in the new bars ... I can't see how that could work ... you will probably be rotating the bars up or down a bit and want to do the same with levers.  For me, I used a dremel tool and ground the mounting pins away.  Got things into the position I liked, tightened up the bolts, all was well ... nothing rotated once tight, so the pins/holes seem to be an overly safety feature.   :grin:
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 05:10:59 PM »
You might consider some pullback risers.  Inch higher and 2 inch back.  Less work ans if it's not for you I'd wager somebody here would buy them.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline PMDMN

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 05:40:15 PM »
If I had your issue I might begin by looking at the 7/8 Renthal Road High bar.  I think it would get you an inch or two or additional height over stock.  Might or might not get you all the additional sweep you want.  Can't say whether cable length would be problematic.  In any case, you could order one from Revzilla, carefullly compare it to the stock bars without installing, and return it if you don't think it would suit your needs.  The stock bar ends might not work with the Renthals.  Here's a link - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/renthal-street-handlebars-78

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 07:23:23 PM »
Close your eyes and put those two fists where you think the most comfortable position would be. Open your eyes and see what the difference is vis-a-vis your stock bars. Now buy a cheap set from Dennis Kirk as a trial:

I've done this several times since Anni came home to roost and I always end up around 4 inches back and 2 inches up.  Odd as it may seem, the V7 III and a Vespa GTS300ie have very similar ergos to me with the exception of the bar position.  I ride a Vespa regularly on 150+ mile rides and find it very comfortable.

I like the idea of set back risers, as that seems to be an easy fix, assuming wires reach. 
"Miri" and Mori"

guzzipete

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 09:10:51 PM »
Hey GG, there are several custom motorcycle builders in the Phoenix area. It might be worth checking with some of them to see if they could build you a bar. If they can, they might be able to take it from design to manufacture to installation.

I know they are mostly custom Harley shops, but handlebars are pretty universal.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 03:20:52 PM »
Hey GG, there are several custom motorcycle builders in the Phoenix area. It might be worth checking with some of them to see if they could build you a bar. If they can, they might be able to take it from design to manufacture to installation.

I know they are mostly custom Harley shops, but handlebars are pretty universal.

What a concept!  :thumb:
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 07:03:48 PM »
I added SW Motech bar risers, easy install, OEM look, puts the bars at a perfect height/distance for me, but they would fit perfect under any bar you may add. Keep in mind there is not much play in the cables and controls, maybe 1.5"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:07:45 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 09:53:21 AM »
You can try my cheap solution that brings the bars back and up about an inch or so. Remove your stock clamps and purchase some clamp bolts that are about 1 1/4" longer and use some 18mm x 1/2" chromed drive sockets as spacers beneath the clamps. This should give you a more comfy position for about $15. Remember that at speeds above 60mph the wind will push you backward, causing you to require a death grip on the bars. A slight forward lean will be supported by that wind, allowing you to have an appropriate grip.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline agdrache

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2022, 07:34:11 PM »
I'm looking to replace Anni's bar with one that is more swept back and maybe a few inches higher.  Being a woman, shorter arms come with the territory and my back/wrists don't like prolonged periods supporting me feminine bits.  I would like a bar that is 4 or 5 inches closer to my body and a little higher for a good sit up a beg position.  If risers are needed, they must blend with the Anniversario number plate, as I'm trying not to mess with the stock appearance.

Someone on WG said they purchased one they liked from Amazon but I couldn't find the post that the info was contained in (he wasn't the OP).  I would appreciate links whenever possible and brand/model numbers when not, so I can search them out. 

I understand that there is a small hole in the stock bar that the controls lock into that will need to be dealt with which isn't an issue.  I would be grateful for any tips and tricks to make the replacement easier too.

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts. :bow: :gotpics: :bow:

GG

PS.
I'll take closer over higher if it comes to a choice.   

What did you end up going with? I have the OEM handlebar on my V7 III along with a set of setback risers, and the risers went a long way toward being more comfortable with the bike, but I could use a little more sweep. Since that would mean a new handlebar, I'm also thinking it'd be nice to get something with more rise that I could use to get rid of the risers. I looked at a couple of the things that were recommended to you like the Renthal Road High bar, but looking at their website, it seems like rotating it back to use some of the extra rise for pullback seems like it wouldn't work very well
2018 MG V7 III Stone
2011 Suzuki TU250X

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2022, 06:31:53 AM »
SheepDog is Spot On.  What feels correct at zero mph is usually much too upright at 60 per.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline majstevetrevor

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2022, 12:59:51 PM »
I’m coming in late here I know, but for what it’s worth I have the Baak bars in my V7III. Pic here. It was clear that it was going to be tricky to install them so I had my local shop do it, and sure enough they said they had to reroute every single cable and wire but in the end it barely fit.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2022, 03:58:35 PM »
FWIW, they look like they’d be damn good if you were after something like that.
Very “ cruisey”.

Offline agdrache

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2022, 04:07:20 PM »
I’m coming in late here I know, but for what it’s worth I have the Baak bars in my V7III. Pic here. It was clear that it was going to be tricky to install them so I had my local shop do it, and sure enough they said they had to reroute every single cable and wire but in the end it barely fit.

Not late for me, since I'm the one who bumped an old thread trying to find out how it was resolved! That looks WIDE  :shocked:

I replaced my stock handlebar with another OEM one a while ago because I thought it had bent when I dropped the bike...turned out it hadn't, but now I have a spare to compare against other stuff. I just took a look at it side by side with the (stock) handlebar on my Suzuki, as well as a slightly bent stock handlebar from a Honda I used to have, and there's definitely a noticeable difference in the sweep angle. The Honda handlebar looks fairly similar to the Renthal Road High bar, so I'm thinking I might just order one of those and see how it looks when it arrives....unless I can find it or something similar locally
2018 MG V7 III Stone
2011 Suzuki TU250X

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here