Cut a piece off this cracked fairing from the NT650V, warmed it with an electric heating gun and stepped it as flat as I could.
I needed this bit to repair the RH side-cover; when I built the scrambler, I had to cut off the stock bulged front face of the side-cover in order to be able to fit the number plate. I welded the fairing part onto the frame of the side-cover after I had repaired the crack.
Side covers and headlamp shell painted in a Hyundai hue to match my helmet, with 2K clear on top. I use spray cans since I do not have the equipment to perform a pro paint job.
Front fender off an XJ750 Seca and universal rear fender from China after paint.
Fuel tank, first time I have attempted two-tone paint. This leaves you a very narrow window to mask up. My initial plan was to mimic the Yamaha R5 from 1972, but I quickly understood that was beyond my abilities with the timeframe at hand. So I can up with this on the fly, more panic than planned.
Finished product. Yes, I know my shop is a mess.
Stripped bike completely other than engine, which remained mostly intact, but lifted frame the engine
Stripped frame and stands and fork lowers and grab rail and rear fender and triple tree and front engine mount and swingarm of paint and rust/corrosion
Painted frame and stands black
Painted lower triple tree silver
Lightly polished fork lowers and upper triple tree
Polished very dirty and rusty front header pipe and "new" second hand mufflers
Lightly cleaned and polished wheel rims
Overhauled the brake system with new pistons and seals
Fitted brake disc off a Seca 750, saving about 2 pounds of unsprung weight
Fitted front fender off a Seca 750, requiring mods to the brake line bracket
Fixed inaccurate rev counter by replacing seven capacitors
Drew up totally new wiring harness and built it, omitting all but two relays (for starter and indicators) and all safety gadgets
Ordered and fitted new TCI unit made to order in the Netherlands
No room for the TCI on the Gen I frame, so I had to modify the pillion portion of the seat
Fitted new bearing spacer/axle and end seals for the swingarm
Seat had already been fully reshaped by me in 2016, but made a new cover for it and made it fit the reshaped base plate
Fitted new tires, 130/80-18 rear (Seca wheel) and 100/90-19 front
Fitted handlebars off my in parts NT650V Deauville
Fitted two-way throttle twist handle so I could use both cables (open / close) for the second-generation carburetors
Fitted Oxford heated grips, with mount for control pod requiring mods to fit on the right since the old clutch lever holder is held with a single bolt clamp
Cleaned and zinc-plated lots of bolts and brackets throughout the motorcycle
Stripped and ultra-sonically cleaned the carbs
Made a new front face for the RHS sidecover, as I had earlier cut that off to fit a number plate. Used bits off the Deauville fairing, reshaping it and welding it in place with soldering iron
Removed, stripped, cleaned, fixed and remounted the starter motor - much more pain that it should have been due to the ¤&¤%#& starter system design
Made a new universal tail-light fit the fender
Made a bracket for the R/R
Fitted new YSS shock absorber after spending hours getting the old one off due to corrosion
Modified fork damper rods and fitted YSS emulator valves
Painted tank, fenders, head light and sidecovers and covered with 2K clear. The orange match my helmet that I painted a couple of years back
Repaired the hacked battery box by welding in new plastic bits with solder iron
Of course, new oils and filter and battery and lots other small stuff you tend to forget about
Engine fired instantly after the building process, which was a relief - I was afraid I had messed up the starter system and/or the wiring, but all was good. Save for the carbs, which had suffered damaged O-ring seals in dimensions not commonly (or uncommonly) sold, causing the engine to run way too rich. Neither the seals nor the part they sit on are listed as spare parts. I have modified some O-rings that are slightly too thick and hope they will work. Will find out soon, I just need a dry day to test-ride.