Author Topic: small Guzzi: newer or vintage?  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
Re: small Guzzi: newer or vintage?
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2022, 12:37:46 PM »
...that won’t stop me from adding to the deluge.

Glad you did, Bill. Very glad you did!

And thanks so much for the kind invitation to VA. I used to live in Arlington a few lifetimes ago!

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2022, 12:39:48 PM »
Next time you’re up toward the roan text me and drop by. Eight 2 8 two eight four 3 seven for 6

Will do for sure! Thanks much.  :thumb:

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2022, 12:43:20 PM »
Here is a 2013 V7 in Cincinnati for $3500. I don't know the seller. He says he got it from Cadre.

Thanks, AMB!
I've got that one saved in FB. While I like the look of wire wheels better, I think I'm leaning towards cast for practical reasons. It seems you've got more tire options with the alloys, since you can run tubeless.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2022, 12:45:00 PM »
Thanks, AMB!
I've got that one saved in FB. While I like the look of wire wheels better, I think I'm leaning towards cast for practical reasons. It seems you've got more tire options with the alloys, since you can run tubeless.

If you're willing to, it's not too much of a chore to seal spoked wheels to run tubeless. I did it on mine a couple years ago, and will be doing it again on this next set I bought for the sidecar.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2022, 12:45:00 PM »

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2022, 01:01:38 PM »
For the folks suggesting a v50 III or v65

SNIP

Then I thought if 1 or 2 guys more knowledgeable than me couldn't get it working, how the heck am I going to accomplish that? 

SNIP

did I give up too easily?  :laugh:  Are they really out there?  Are there "secret" parts stashes?

Your questions are my questions, UTBF.  :grin:
When it comes to the vintage bikes, I'm starting to think of a continuum with continually shrinking quantities...

<larger numbers------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------smaller numbers>

(MGSBs imported to US in 80s) > (MGSBs currently extant 40yrs on) > (MGSBs extant in US that are a) immediately rideable and b) affordable)

Sort of a hen's teeth/unicorn deal, it seems. Hence the V7, which I believe is Guzzi's most popular bike ever. There are a lot (relatively) around, and they're still making them.

In fact, they are consistently improving them, which makes the earlier iterations slightly less desirable. Even in these wacky times, I think used Guzzis are a buyers market. Folks who know them love them; most others think they're weird. For most of my motorcycling career, I thought they were weird, and then I started to shift my perspective and understand that they are unique. An important distinction.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2022, 01:43:01 PM »
When a "modern" 750 vibrates more than a 53 year old 750 (Ambassador) or 47 year old Convert, it vibrates too much (IMO).

....I gotta wonder how much is perception and how much is reality?

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2022, 02:26:03 PM »
I'm going on record that each person's hands, feet, bum, and other vibration sensitive bits are theirs alone!  :laugh:

Consequently, there are a multitude of lived experiences when it comes to "detonation sensation."

Can't we all get along?  :grin:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:02:53 PM by Mwether »

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2022, 02:41:42 PM »
Other than nostalgia, I don't see the point in buying a vintage small block and pumping money into it to get it well sorted equal the same price as a modern small block.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2022, 02:42:02 PM »
@Mwether, I decided to go 'new' V 7 III, same reason as many other here, still retro look,fun 'little' scoot, easy to handle and easy to look after.
Nice edition to our 'heavy ' 1400 Cali.
I had old in years pass and enjoyed them but it can take time and effort[ fun] to keep such going. Not to say that i'd like some older Guzzi [V7 or Nuovo Falcone] at some time back in the Shed.
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2022, 04:29:30 PM »
....I gotta wonder how much is perception and how much is reality?

:rolleyes:
Charlie

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2022, 05:19:06 PM »
:rolleyes:

Oh I didn't realize you had data?

Rpm points, speeds, maybe frequency of pulses or amount of movement measured with a sensor at the bar end? At least that's how Harley engineers have measured it in the past.

Unless you're just talking about perception, which, jokes aside we've all admitted vary. Which is what raised the question. I'm perfectly willing to accept my feelings on the matter are perception and not facts.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 05:19:54 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2022, 05:24:32 PM »
Here's my advice: everyone should buy newer (that way the prices of the oldies will go down and I can afford more of them).  :evil:
Charlie

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2022, 09:45:21 PM »
Here's my advice: everyone should buy newer (that way the prices of the oldies will go down and I can afford more of them).  :evil:

+1
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2022, 03:03:35 AM »
A used V7 sounds just the ticket for you, as you say they often come up quite cheap.
I ride a V7III special with a 5-1/2 gallon metal tank, it has a range of 270 miles.
I would say buy any V7 in your area, only after riding it for a while will you figure out what one you really want.
The trouble with Guzzis they tend to multiply, before you know where you are there's 3 or 4 more finding their way into your heart.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline mauriceetjeannine

• New Egg
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2022, 09:54:27 AM »
Thank you, maurice! I appreciate your vote! I like the look of the V65, for sure!  :thumb:

Do you have the SP or the unfaired version?

Mine is an unfaired but with an Agostini complete fairing like this one but for V50 https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=73986.0.

Regards,

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2022, 11:22:18 AM »
Other than nostalgia, I don't see the point in buying a vintage small block and pumping money into it to get it well sorted equal the same price as a modern small block.

-AJ

Let me see if I can shed some light on this. "Satisfaction" is the word that mainly comes to mind. That is, the satisfaction I get in knowing that I resurrected a non-running "barn find" and made it a good running, reliable machine once again. It's a rolling display of my mechanical skills and determination to save an unloved machine from the scrap heap or being parted out. "Farkling" a newer one just doesn't give me the same feeling.

Also, vintage small-blocks are simple, basic machines (with the possible exception of the Bosch e.i.), easy and enjoyable to work on. They're considerably lighter and more nimble than newer small-blocks as well.

Then there's rarity - not everyone has one, vs. newer ones are fairly common. Nice to own and ride something a bit unique and unusual.

Subjectively: styling. I like the mini-Tonti looks of my V50 III better than the retro styling of the newer V7s.

Cost varies, but mine in still in the negative (less than zero) . It was part of a package deal, the rest of the stuff was sold off at a profit, and the V50 III didn't need much.

I realize that how I feel in this regard and what works for me isn't the same for others. Not everyone has the free time and/or desire to take on projects of this nature. "It's all good".  :cheesy:

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:24:23 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Mwether

• New Egg
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2022, 12:54:55 PM »
Let me see if I can shed some light on this.

Thanks a bunch, Charlie; you are no help at all!  :grin:

You've captured my dilemma precisely: I prefer the old bikes for all the reasons you've listed, i.e., aesthetics, simplicity, rarity, etc.

Also—as a fan of philosophies like Matt Crawford's in Shop Class as Soulcraft—I recognize and value (and try, with varying degrees of success, to practice) the balance of mental and physical tasks inherent in making things (go) by hand. I am officially "okay" at stuff like that, not great.

In the end, economics and marital accord take the front seat. I'm trying to figure how the least funds can deliver the most bang for the buck. All things considered, that SEEMS to be by buying a newer bike.

However, this does remind me of my first bike: a 1971 Suzuki T125 barn find that I bought in about 1985 for one dollar per cc. I was a junior in high school, and my mom only let me buy it because it wasn't running. She used to joke that I could ride it in the back of a pickup truck. Well, I got it running (on about 1.5 of its 2 cylinders) and had a great time on it. Perhaps lightning could strike twice, but I have a feeling many riding seasons could go by before I find a healthy V50 III...

Edited to add:
1. The RATE of expenditure is also an important consideration. While the total dollar amount to restore a vintage bike might be higher, there is a perceptual advantage to spreading that cost out over time. This makes less financial sense, but it can "feel" better. (Favors an older, cheaper bike.)

2. However, I do not have the experience to evaluate whether a $1500 MG smallblock is a good candidate for restoration/squaring away. I don't know enough about parts availability etc. to make that determination. (Favors a newer, more expensive bike.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:12:39 PM by Mwether »

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2022, 01:47:23 PM »
Didn't the early small blocks have a oiling issue in the rear drive? I had a V65SP that I really enjoyed, but the couple I sold it to (30 years ago)had something go in the rear drive.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Tiki Joe

• New Egg
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2022, 01:52:18 PM »
Do you prefer to tinker or ride?  I like both but much prefer to ride; so luckily I'm able to have several bikes.  I wouldn't be able to stand only having 1 bike and it being torn apart not ridable.  I'd say I'm 80% ride and 20% tinker....if you're in the same spectrum, get a newer bike for sure.  These are fairly inexpensive to buy used.   
1997 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
1993 Ducati Superlight
2015 Harley Road Glide Special
2015 Harley Road King

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2022, 02:24:42 PM »
Didn't the early small blocks have a oiling issue in the rear drive? I had a V65SP that I really enjoyed, but the couple I sold it to (30 years ago)had something go in the rear drive.

There is an update, actually two.

1) Drill an oil passage so that fling off the ring gear finds it's way to the pinion bearings more effectively, flip a shim around to catch that oil and funnel it down the hole. My V50 III went 40k + without that modification though, the gears and bearings all still look like new. 

2) The "lock tabs" under the ring gear bolts can fracture, the bolt(s) then loosens, lots of crunchy noises ensue and possibly a cracked housing. Remove the tabs (which do nothing anyway) and Loctite the bolts into place.
Charlie

Offline mauriceetjeannine

• New Egg
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2022, 02:44:53 AM »
hello,

The old SB (may be before NTX) are smaller and 25 kg lighter than V7. I prefer carb vs injection.....

regards

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2022, 07:20:51 AM »
Not everyone has the free time and/or desire and *ability* to take on projects of this nature. "It's all good".  :cheesy:

FIFY, Charlie.  :smiley:
There is an update, actually two.

1) Drill an oil passage so that fling off the ring gear finds it's way to the pinion bearings more effectively, flip a shim around to catch that oil and funnel it down the hole. My V50 III went 40k + without that modification though, the gears and bearings all still look like new.

2) The "lock tabs" under the ring gear bolts can fracture, the bolt(s) then loosens, lots of crunchy noises ensue and possibly a cracked housing. Remove the tabs (which do nothing anyway) and Loctite the bolts into place.

Mod number 2 is the most important, and *needs* to be done. While you are in there, though, you may as well do number 1.  :azn:  :boozing:
If you can do this, and you have gotten rid of that stupid Bosch ignition.. an old small block is a fine choice.
If you don't like or can't do this stuff, the choice is simple. Get a new one.

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2022, 08:51:44 AM »
hello,

The old SB (may be before NTX) are smaller and 25 kg lighter than V7. I prefer carb vs injection.....

Lighter I understand, but how else are they smaller? They’re using the same (slightly modified) small block frame.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here