Author Topic: Huzo on tour!  (Read 27508 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Huzo on tour!
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2019, 12:30:15 PM »
Of course if you slow down thinking you’re being safe..
You’ll end up being Liberace’d...!

Offline Larry

• Gosling
  • Escape Reality At Any Cost I Say
    • Melbourne West Church
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2019, 04:35:43 PM »
I'll be starting a similar trip next weekend: southbound across the Alps to Croatia, ferry to Italy and back.
We plan to be on the Croatian coast between the 4th and 8th of June.
2002 Stone 1100 - Gone
2005 Breva 1100 - Gone
2012 Stelvio 1200 8V ABS - Gone
2013 Sport 1200 8V ABS - Current

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2019, 05:52:52 PM »
Take care of Croatia  :grin: I’ll be on the ferry to Italy on the night of June 4th.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2019, 12:59:04 AM »
Take care of Croatia  :grin: I’ll be on the ferry to Italy on the night of June 4th.
Ok mate..
June 10 I’m aiming to be in Albania.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2019, 12:59:04 AM »

Offline piecemealadventurer

• New Egg
  • No turning back
    • piecemealadventurer
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »
Hey Huzo and Larry,

From what Ive read the weather has been a little chilly in Europe.  I head off in a couple of weeks from Melb to London and pick of the Breva for this years European tour which will include the Balkans so looking forward to reading you tales
Breva 1100 x2
v85tt

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2019, 01:47:57 AM »
Hey Huzo and Larry,

From what Ive read the weather has been a little chilly in Europe.  I head off in a couple of weeks from Melb to London and pick of the Breva for this years European tour which will include the Balkans so looking forward to reading you tales
Ok stay in touch..
As mentioned, barring misadventure I’ll be in or around Albania on June 10 through to around 14th.

Offline Larry

• Gosling
  • Escape Reality At Any Cost I Say
    • Melbourne West Church
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2019, 03:23:39 AM »
Crikey, the place will be overrun with us.
We're halfway between Istanbul and Edirne where we're staying tonight then tomorrow it's onto MotoCamp Bulgaria for 2 nights.
I need to lift the tank on the Sport as there's a slight oil weep of sorts coming from above the left side piston. I'm hoping it's a loose oil cooling banjo but think it's most likely the oil pressure sensor.
If that's the case I'll just have to put up with it or do something with JB Weld, because I'm not hanging around for a new one. Even then there's some confusion over which is the correct one to get.
What is it with Guzzi that they haven't sorted that issue, really bad business practice.
I'll keep you posted.
2002 Stone 1100 - Gone
2005 Breva 1100 - Gone
2012 Stelvio 1200 8V ABS - Gone
2013 Sport 1200 8V ABS - Current

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2019, 05:08:15 AM »
Crikey, the place will be overrun with us.
We're halfway between Istanbul and Edirne where we're staying tonight then tomorrow it's onto MotoCamp Bulgaria for 2 nights.
I need to lift the tank on the Sport as there's a slight oil weep of sorts coming from above the left side piston. I'm hoping it's a loose oil cooling banjo but think it's most likely the oil pressure sensor.
If that's the case I'll just have to put up with it or do something with JB Weld, because I'm not hanging around for a new one. Even then there's some confusion over which is the correct one to get.
What is it with Guzzi that they haven't sorted that issue, really bad business practice.
I'll keep you posted.
I still wonder why you can’t run a flexible line to a remotely mounted one that’s easier to reach.
After all it’s hydraulic pressure, should read the same as long as the sensor is in the line shouldn’t it ?
Currently left Pompeii and en route to Villa San Giovanni.
There in about 4 hours.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 02:51:03 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »
Ok.
Parked up in comfortable digs in Villa San Giovanni.
Had a couple of heart starters yesterday. Stopped at a crappy servo to get fuel, put my card in but the guy came charging across and said cash only..
Ok then.
I foolishly put a 50 in the machine thinking you’d get the change back when you hung up the handle..
Nup.
What the go is, you fill the bike and the left over money is there as a credit next time you go to that servo...!
A bit of a slanging match ensued until I had to confront the fact that €30 was going to go begging.
You do get a receipt with a PIN number, and the credit attached to it, but that wasn’t worth a “you know what” worth of cold water, so I offered the €30 voucher to the next guy who came in and he gave me €20 for it..!
Better than nothing.
Then.
I got into Villa San Giovanni later than expected and began the search for some camping opportunities, of which there seemed to be none. I was directed to a B&B which seemed just great, but the bike was going to be left on the street overnight, not bloody likely..!
The owner then ordered me to follow him on the bike, while he flung his car through a tortuous series of back street laneways, to eventually arrive in a screaming heap, smelling of hot oil and burning brake pads (his not mine),  at his mate’s B&B which looked a bit like an Indian brothel from the outside but exceptionally nice indoors and damn cheap.
So I took it..
Worked out ok, with the Norge secured behind a 9 tonne steel gate with locks on the inside.
Bonus..!
Naples

Pompeii

Amalfi Coast

Oh, and THAT room..

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:14:03 AM by Huzo »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »
Keep 'em coming Huzo. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Looks like a memorable trip is being had.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2019, 12:15:38 AM »
Keep 'em coming Huzo. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Looks like a memorable trip is being had.
Yeah, so far Muzz.
For all the right reasons, but we’ll give it time..

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2019, 11:04:51 AM »
I had a similar gas station experience in Switzerland once, on a Sunday.  I crossed the border low on fuel because Swiss gas is less taxed, so cheaper.  Then I tried two or three Bancomats to get Swiss Francs, followed by the realization that I'd met my daily cash limit earlier in the day, when withdrawing Euros...  So then I traded Euros to Francs with a waitress at a notably poor exchange rate, followed by leaving some money behind at the gas station as described in Huzo's post.   I could have used a credit card at the gas pump, but unfortunately they only take Swiss credit cards.  It's almost as though they've predicted this circumstance 5 km across the border, and hoped to make a little extra cash from it.  It couldn't be :wink:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:57:52 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2019, 01:19:09 PM »
 Well I headed off this morning and made the crossing to Sicily on this..

With this..

at the front of the vessel along with some rather tasty pieces of Italian kit, one in the shape of a very nice Ducati.
Now for some reason the blokes did not seem to think it necessary to secure their bikes for the crossing and I wondered if I was becoming an old fuddy duddy, as I released one of the straps you see holding my red bag to the bike. The reason was that I thought to run it from the bike to a solid point on the structure of the boat.
The wall was on the left side so the bike would not fall in that direction because the side stand would prevent that, and the strap would stop it falling away.
Perfect..!
Now I could  see some of the guys grinning in Italian as I went about my task and I noted that they held no such fears, as they casually swung their asses off the bikes and strolled away.
When done I went to the top deck as you do and off we all went..
Now half way across, the boat was rolling like a drunken sailor and I could imagine the kitchen staff picking up all sorts of broken plates and whatnot in the galley and the passengers chundering in their lunch, even more entertaining was the surety that the bikes would be arse over head on the steel car deck and my Norge would be as safe as houses.
Well we duly made the crossing and down we all went to retrieve our machines.
When we got there I could scarcely conceal my disappointment when not one of the buggers had moved an inch, or seemingly so.
I just do not know how the bloody hell they had not gone arse up..!
They must have thought I was a prize tool..!
(I’m not dead sure they’re wrong.)
Anyway, I didn’t look any of them in the eye and we all left in different directions..(thankfully.. :embarrassed:)
But the trip to Mt Etna went well and I don’t think I was fully prepared for the grandeur of it..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:50:39 PM by Huzo »

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2019, 02:27:53 PM »
When I crossed lake Huron via ferry they gave us rope and required us to tie down the bikes.  Had tie down points in the floor and everything. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2019, 04:38:08 PM »
When I crossed lake Huron via ferry they gave us rope and required us to tie down the bikes.  Had tie down points in the floor and everything.
Yeah, usually they do.
In fact I think this might only be the second time I’ve had it happen.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »
Just a couple  of gratuitous ones..
Etna and the Norge.

BTW.
The bike has done about 5,500 k since I started but I’d hoped to have 10,000 on it by the time I passed back through Como en route to Turkey so I could get the oil changed at Agostini’s.
Not gunna’ have that many by then, so I might just get it done a few k’s early..
Won’t be an issue, as long as I don’t get to 20,000 for the trip.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:57:14 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2019, 01:44:28 AM »
Also.
I’m not on the take or being pursued by the Sicilian mafia...(I hope !)
But this place is where I stayed prior to and after visiting Sicily.
It’s five minutes from the ferry terminal on the Italian mainland. They are great with good breakfast and only €40.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2019, 01:36:56 PM »
I’m currently parked up at the Sun Bay Camping In Taranto.
Not too bad either.
Jeez, some of those Coastal villages between Trebisacce and Marina di Ginosa are pretty sad. I think I chipped a tooth on one of the croissant type offerings and the coffee was reminiscent of hydrochloric acid, but it stayed down. So many of the store fronts were boarded up and the young blokes seem to do nothing but thrash around in ever decreasing circles in their buggered Fiat Pandas, driving with their knee, holding a smoke in one hand and mobile in the other..
Pretty skilled it’s fair to say.
I did see something that pretty much exemplified the nature of things though, there was a Tabbacchi with a children’s toy “store” on one side and I think was an adult book shop on the other, the “aperto” sign on the door of the book shop was intermittent in it’s operation and as I sat at the lights waiting, I saw the owner bashing at it with his fist.
It seemed like it did not want to work...
Kind of symbolic I thought..
The bikers are pretty good though, there was one guy passed me in the town on a Vespa type thing, with his unfastened helmet strap flapping and him sending a text on his mobile...
Cool...!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:52:58 PM by Huzo »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2019, 03:25:43 PM »
Hope the lack of mention of wind/rain/snow/blizzard/windblown dust and dirt means that the weather has started to look a bit more favourably on you Huzo. :thumb:

Years ago when we visited our daughter when she lived in France we leased a vehicle and drove in a loop around France and northern Italy.  An Italian guy who was domiciled in Oz said we must have a look at the Italian Riviera.  We tried, truly we tried, but even back in '95 the traffic was horrendous and we had to bail for the motorway.

Sad, because we would have loved to spend some time exploring some of those towns.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2019, 07:27:08 PM »
A few months ago I noticed that in some areas of Italy the government were giving away abandoned houses and apartments for $1. The only proviso was that you had to renovate said dwelling within the first 12 months and actually live their. I guess they were trying to get work for the locals and some money into those areas.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2019, 07:46:45 PM »
Great pics there Huzo...keep them coming!   Red Norge looks nicely contrasted against the black / grey of the volcano...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2019, 10:48:11 PM »
A great trip report - enjoyable read and photos.   :thumb:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2019, 12:08:00 AM »
Hope the lack of mention of wind/rain/snow/blizzard/windblown dust and dirt means that the weather has started to look a bit more favourably on you Huzo. :thumb:

Years ago when we visited our daughter when she lived in France we leased a vehicle and drove in a loop around France and northern Italy.  An Italian guy who was domiciled in Oz said we must have a look at the Italian Riviera.  We tried, truly we tried, but even back in '95 the traffic was horrendous and we had to bail for the motorway.

Sad, because we would have loved to spend some time exploring some of those towns.
Truth be told.
Other than riding for 5 minutes yesterday on an already wet motorway, I have not ridden in rain since back in Lincolnshire. Yesterday I thought the shit was about to hit the fan since I was travelling North towards the mountains into a wall of impending rain.
Fortunately the GPS said I needed to take an exit to the East and that resulted in clearer skies, like this shot I just took @ 7.00 am looking out over the Ionian Sea.

Bonus..!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2019, 12:15:00 AM »

In 2017 I went along there (as I will today), and visited San Marino, Pescara and such shanty towns.
I’ve been to Tavullia and plan to go there again to visit a bloke for his 46th birthday which I believe might be imminent... :wink:
He wasn’t home last time, someone at his Oyster Bar, said he’d gone to the motorbike races...(where’s the future in that...?)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2019, 12:17:12 AM »
Red Norge looks nicely contrasted against the black / grey of the volcano..
Thanks mate..
(I wonder which one will blow up first..?)

Offline Glawster

• New Egg
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2019, 03:14:19 AM »
All very interesting Huzo, keep the photos coming.  Still no sign of the V85.  I'm hoping it arrives soon as I have a meeting in Milan 24-25/6 so was hoping to go on it.
Derek
1955 Falcone Sport
1973 V7 Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1955 Moto Parilla Turismo Special

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2019, 03:20:40 AM »
All very interesting Huzo, keep the photos coming.  Still no sign of the V85.  I'm hoping it arrives soon as I have a meeting in Milan 24-25/6 so was hoping to go on it.
Derek
I think I can tell you why mate.
Some bloke just passed me on a signature series Ronald Mc Donald one, coming out of Taranto.
It looked suspiciously like that demo one you rode from On Yer Bike...Maybe he got yours ?
Come to think of it..
It kind of resembled the one I took from Agostini’s on the Bellagio road...!
Word is from Melbourne, mine is expected end of June.
I’ve got my first accessory..

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2019, 06:20:56 AM »
Huzo, I'm coming late to your thread but I am enjoying it.  Thank you for the time you are taking to post the pictures and descriptions. 

You give us all the chance to live the trip through you.

Beautiful trip.  I am very biased and partial to Italy.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »
Beautiful trip.  I am very biased and partial to Italy.

+1 Italy is one of my favorite parts of the world
I have found memories driving at ridiculous speeds in a recently repaired Alfa GTV that we had driven from the UK, around the streets of Naples trying to keep up with the Italian Mechanic that was leading us to the Tangentialle
Happy days  :grin:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2019, 10:56:21 AM »
Then of course,
There’s this..!

Extrapolate that out to a 23 litre tank.
Thank God for Beetle... :bow:
Of course, to put that back into a bit of perspective..
That was JUST under 400 km for 18 litres @ sustained 125 kph
Thank the OTHER God for Beetle.. :bow:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:42:49 PM by Huzo »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here