Author Topic: V7III Find Neutral  (Read 615 times)

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
V7III Find Neutral
« on: June 20, 2019, 04:45:35 PM »
Bit of a beast finding neutral on my 2018 V7III Special.  There's been discussion on this forum about the trickiness of it.  Apparently it's different from the V7II. 

It's not a huge problem, but I've stumbled across a technique that seems to most of  the time.  While downshifting, when I reach 3rd, and I'm ready for 2nd, I pull in the clutch and tap the shifter into second, but DON'T release the clutch all the way.  I just let it out a little until I hear it engage slightly...whirrrr. ..then pull it back in all the way and gently tap down on the shifter.  Pretty much always slips it into neutral. 

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7III Find Neutral
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 06:29:34 PM »
I don't think it's any different from our MkI, or previous Jackal, or airheads...

The first key is clutch adjustment. If it doesn't release fully, it will stick and be hard to get.

The second is to do it while you're still moving slightly and it's easier.

The last is, if you're already stopped slip the clutch lightly got a second while you're preloading the shifter and it should snuck in.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »
After the first really hot riding weather hits, I usually have to make a small adjustment to clutch lever free-play because it gets progressively more difficult to find neutral.

This is a '14 v7 Special.

I make sure I can make the clutch lever move by pressing on the clutch arm with a gloved finger, accessing it by standing (or possibly squatting) on the right side of the bike. This tells me there is a small gap between the clutch arm (on the transmission) and the outer body of the throwout bearing.

I took to doing it this way because I found it difficult to accrurately gauge freeplay using just the gap between the lever and the lever mount. Mostly because I couldn't tell if the pressure I'm using at the lever is just enough to overcome the clutch arm spring pressure, or if I'm into the clutch springs.

I do this with the bike fully warmed, on the centerstand, handlebars squared. Freeplay adjustment is made at the handlebar lever.

Make sure your cable is routed correctly and not resting on hot parts that could result in a melted or otherwise corrupted cable housing.

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 10:08:32 AM »
I started riding at age 10 in the mid sixties, and started riding Guzzi's in the 70's, and have owned Ossa, Honda, BSA, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Harley Davidson.  Clutch adjustment's fine on my V7III...but finding neutral is on the tricky side.  Maybe some V7III owners will chime in. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 10:08:32 AM »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 05:59:15 PM »
I started riding at age 10 in the mid sixties, and started riding Guzzi's in the 70's, and have owned Ossa, Honda, BSA, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Harley Davidson.  Clutch adjustment's fine on my V7III...but finding neutral is on the tricky side.  Maybe some V7III owners will chime in.

Maybe I should be more specific.

I don't think our V7III, or the demo III Stone I rode today are any different....

"I don't think it's any different from our MkI, or previous Jackal, or airheads..."
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here