Author Topic: Travel electrical gremlin slayer  (Read 702 times)

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
Travel electrical gremlin slayer
« on: July 17, 2019, 07:33:00 AM »
OK, let's face it... our beloved machines are getting older, and with age comes electrical gremlins. These tend to crop up at the worst possible times... because Murphys Law. So, here's something I just purchased to help with the gremlin battle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JGET4O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a nice little multi-meter... fairly basic, and that's the charm of it. No, it doesn't have a million functions and auto-everything like a big Fluke meter. But it has the important stuff. DC voltage. Continuity check. Resistance. Those three functions are what I use when working on bike electrical systems. The real kicker is the size of this unit... it's smaller than my cell phone if a bit thicker. Most of that is thickness is due to the case. It is built into a full hard-shell casement that is pretty dang solid. More than sufficient yo protect it from knocks and bangs, and it keeps the wires all tidy too. I just bought one for my tool roll, and once I had it in my hands, yeah, I had to spread the word.

Hope this helps someone... but hopefully not me.  :grin:
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Travel electrical gremlin slayer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 08:22:16 AM »
I have several of the Harbor Freight "freebie" (with coupon) meters.  They are slightly larger but the price is right to have one in every vehicle and a couple laying around the house.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »
I have a pocket sized Bluetooth gadget. Uses a phone/tablet screen for the display. Has the usual multimeter functions, plus it has an oscilloscope and data logger.

A bit pricey for what it is, but I like to carry an oscilloscope.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 10:31:04 AM »
The more you depend on complex electrical gremlins (AKA) computers, the more things to go wrong that can't be diagnosed, let alone fixed roadside

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 10:31:04 AM »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here