Author Topic: 2017 Anniversario Will Not Run.  (Read 6242 times)

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: 2017 Anniversario Will Not Run.
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 02:05:10 AM »
Has it already been mentioned or have I overread it? I would check the RPM - sensor. If it is the same type as on the older STB´s it should be possible to get it e.g. from a FIAT - dealer for less money than from Moto Guzzi.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

beard

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 04:55:52 AM »
Check if there are some errors stored in the ECU.
If so, check if they are possible or not.
Clear them.

After that, reset the selflearning parameters.

Due to the 'long' ride it is possible that they learned something wrong.

Check if the TPS idle value is correct or not.
If not, reset the TPS.

This is done in 5 minutes and maybe it solves your problems.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2019, 05:37:35 AM »
Hey everyone! I'm new to the Guzzi world. Just purchased a 2017 v7 iii Anniversario. Only 1500 miles. It ran great for 200 miles. No problems at all. But after one day of hard riding, it barely started. It will turn over but the idle is awful. It goes up and down between 1000 and 2000 rpm. Fluctuates constantly. Anytime I give it gas, it dies. I called Guzzi and unfortunately its 25 days out of warranty, I live in Oklahoma and drove to Oregon to get this bike so im miles away from a dealer. Any ideas??? We changed the plugs, fuses, reconnected the battery. Nothing. Im at a loss. I just went online and purchased Guzzidiag so maybe that will help when it gets here in a few days. Until then any help you guys could give me will be greatly appreciated. Love the bike. Love the group. Looking forward to learning a lot. Thanks
Dies when you give it gas that's typical of a weak spark or it could be tracking over somewhere when you open the throttle.
I assume you have a multimeter can you pull the plug caps and measure the resistance from plug cap to chassis, it should be the same on both sides. I'll check on mine.
Try changing the relays around.
Several owners have suggested bad gas, when did you last fill up just before the end of your trip or are you well into the last fill?
Did the bike get put away in a warm garage at the end of your trip or is it left out in the weather?
Personally I don't think its a faulty sensor but can you measure the resistance?
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 08:28:56 AM »
Dies when you give it gas is typical of the bad cold start on these things. I guess we should have asked this first. Did you give it a minute or two to try and warm it up?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 08:28:56 AM »

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 09:05:18 AM »
Both cylinders are performing. My uncle is helping me today after noon sometime. We are going to go through the checklist of the suggestions you guys had. I’m still hoping we can figure this out. I’d like to ride. But worst case scenario I guess I haul it to old and have eurotek take a look. I called Motiv and they said they don’t have service their. Just sales. If it’s a service issue they contract it out to someone. Thanks again guys. Really. I’ll let you know what we figure out once we start running the gauntlet.

Might want to check the service capabilities, because I think you may have it backwards. Eurotek send bikes to Motiv for work.  Don, who owns Motiv (the Guzzi dealer), is very capable and works on Ducatis for Eurotek, which is a BMW, Triumph and Ducati dealer. I do know Motiv has been pretty busy lately, but as a last resort that is where I would take my bike. I'm not independently wealthy so I would stay away from Eurotek.

The guys on here will give you a lot of good ideas to check, and after you get this sorted, your bond with the bike will grow substantially. Good luck and try to stay positive, it will probably be something quite simple, when you figure out what it is.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

oldbike54

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2019, 09:16:38 AM »
 Luap's bike did almost the same thing some months back . The plugs caps had been pulled loose . Honestly , I would start there , likely water found its way in to the caps , and when the caps were pulled to change the spark plugs they were loosened on the end of the plug wires . Always check the simple stuff first .

Dusty

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2019, 10:34:30 AM »
Luap's bike did almost the same thing some months back . The plugs caps had been pulled loose . Honestly , I would start there , likely water found its way in to the caps , and when the caps were pulled to change the spark plugs they were loosened on the end of the plug wires . Always check the simple stuff first .

Dusty

Dusty knows what he is talking about. He has helped me many times with problems (thankfully few!!) on my
V11 Cali's.

The V7's are really quite reliable. I wouldn't hesitate taking mine cross country tomorrow!

You will get it sorted. As you have found there is a LOT of knowledge on this board.

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

oldbike54

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »
Dusty knows what he is talking about. He has helped me many times with problems (thankfully few!!) on my
V11 Cali's.

The V7's are really quite reliable. I wouldn't hesitate taking mine cross country tomorrow!

You will get it sorted. As you have found there is a LOT of knowledge on this board.

Jeff

More a case of a very simple person using the simplest procedure to deal with a problem :grin:  I should mention that most of what I know about smallblocks was learned right here , the plug cap issue is very common , Smithswede's V7 did almost the same thing .

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2019, 03:18:37 PM »
Why does the idle climb up to 2,000 rpm ?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2019, 03:21:15 PM »
Why does the idle climb up to 2,000 rpm ?

ECM trying to save idle speed when it stumbles and over corrects.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 03:22:57 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2019, 05:40:47 PM »
While I think it's more likely to be something simple, once you have Guzzidiag & the cables, follow what Beard says above. While you are there, check what the "Target Idle" is set at - in my 1TB the target idle is set at 1370rpm - then when you check the revs at idle, you won't be surprised. Note that Guzzidiag is likely to be more accurate than the tacho.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »
More a case of a very simple person using the simplest procedure to deal with a problem :grin:  I should mention that most of what I know about smallblocks was learned right here , the plug cap issue is very common , Smithswede's V7 did almost the same thing .

Dusty
Would that show up measuring each cap to chassis?
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2019, 08:48:56 AM »

A good question , not sure of the answer . Hmm , thinking , thinking , well I'm gonna need more caffeine  :coffee:

Dusty

elvisboy77

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2019, 12:10:41 PM »

Not likely if you are using an ohmmeter.  The ignition voltage is in the 10,000 Volt plus range DC, it will conduct where a 9 volt battery (powering the meter) will not.  Better to pull one plug at a time, running, with an insulated handle pliers.....

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »
Not likely if you are using an ohmmeter.  The ignition voltage is in the 10,000 Volt plus range DC, it will conduct where a 9 volt battery (powering the meter) will not.  Better to pull one plug at a time, running, with an insulated handle pliers.....
Not so, a typical ignition coil and lead will measure 8,000 Ohms, both sides should measure the same.
However if there was a break in the lead the high Voltage could leap across the 9 Volt battery wouldn't as you say.
If the cap was pulled away from the lead it would measure infinity.
For a double ended dual plug setup one plug cap would need to be grounded, the V7iii is a single plug
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:25:27 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2019, 01:26:35 PM »
Elvisboy77,
I tried to send you a PM

Since I said both sides should be the same I thought I had better go down to the garage and measure mine.
I got two totally different readings 8 Megohms and 19 Megohms, there is something wrong here.

Update:
Turns out the circuit was thru me I went back and screwed a plug nut onto a spoke so I didn't have to hold the leads on
Now I get Infinity on one side 30 MegOhms on the other.

This is an order of magnitude more than I expected or I have seen on any other Guzzi
Normally you get within 100 Ohms between sides although the crappy carbon core leads are not as even.
This bike has about 6000 miles on the oddo, hasn't been in any rain lately and is running perfectly.

I have seen a lot of owners complaining about the plug caps on modern Guzis

Also I note a different reading when I switch the meter leads around (30 Megs one way Infinity the other) telling me there is some sort of corrosive cell going on.
A corroding joint throws the Ohms range off because of the Voltage added or subtracted to/from the meter battery.

Update
There is defiantly something wrong with the leads on mine, just hasn't got bad enough to effect running yet
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:54:51 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

elvisboy77

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2019, 05:28:05 PM »
Sounds like the wires have an inline resistor?  Like old resistor plugs?  I don't know but you bring up a very interesting point.  Thanks.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2019, 05:47:48 PM »
Yes it's that crappy carbon core wire IMHO it has no place on a modern motorcycle.
I have been burnt by that before.
I unscrewed the caps, they have a resistor 4.8K, that's all the resistance you need.
As soon as I run the tank lower I will whip it off and replace with copper core cable.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:38:02 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2019, 07:15:12 PM »
The pretty red HT cable is made by NGK Racing.

Offline guzzi771

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2019, 09:12:13 PM »
Only 1500-miles on a two year old bike.  Today's "corn gas" gets nasty fast. I'll bet it's fuel related as others have suggested.
  Drain the the tank and replace the fuel filter with a solid metal filter.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2019, 10:08:56 PM »
The pretty red HT cable is made by NGK Racing.

Yes but its covered over so I will be content with regular black.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline newtotheGuzzi

• New Egg
    • The Reckless Saints
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2019, 12:35:15 PM »
ok guys, still here. We have been trying all the basic stuff we could think of with no luck. Anybody close to pryor Oklahoma? I would gladly pay someone to come take a look, or I can bring it to you if its close. I have the Guzzidiag but I cant make sense of it. Please help. lol

oldbike54

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2019, 12:52:26 PM »
 Check your personal messages .

Dusty

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2019, 05:36:12 PM »
At this stage, it sounds like assistance from someone more familiar with the bike might save some angst.

Guzzidiag? A good idea to stroll in a leisurely fashion through the tutorials (on here and GRiSO.org) to extract the info relating to the MIUG3 ECU. Play with yours a bit to see what's there and makes sense. Then if stuck, there's always here, or even a quick email to beetle.

Good luck.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here