Author Topic: Rain suits  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
Rain suits
« on: January 25, 2022, 06:45:32 AM »
Good Morning!

Planning a trip to do some visiting in North Carolina in June/July.

Too hot for a full Aerostich suit, methinks.

Does anyone have recommendations on decent quality, not too
expensive rainsuits?

Thanks!

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
Re: Rain suits
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 07:25:30 AM »
I went with an Oxford hi viz yellow rain jacket and black pants....think they were around $40 each. They don't breath at all but they kept me dry in 3 hours of downpour, and 57 degrees, in September in the Adirondacks. In my 2 Blue Ridge Parkway rides down to Asheville, I only encountered 2 days of light rain. I think they were both in June.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 07:48:46 AM »
Been happy with Frogg Toggs. Lightweight and pack in small space.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 07:53:55 AM »
I prefer Gore-tex for quality waterproof breathable protection from getting wet and sweating too much. 

I used my Gore-tex backpacking gear on the bike for years, but wanted Hi-viz when riding in the rain so I had Motoport make me a non Gore-tex breathable membrane Hi-viz rain jacket.  I still use my Gore-tex backpacking pants. 

Cry once, buy once.  I've had the jacket 8 years and a lot of rain riding. 

Occasionally wash with nick wax tech wash.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 07:53:55 AM »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 08:12:46 AM »
FROGG TOGG

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 02:59:00 PM »
That’s a heck of a review RK🤔👍

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 03:02:23 PM »
+1 on what RK says.

I use an Olympia jacket - HI vis lime green with a hood that rolls up into the collar.
Again a +1 on backpacker rain pants.  Mine are gore-tex with a plastic liner.  Two way zippers on each leg - hip to ankle.
For those days where it's an 8 hour slog thru the rain I have a pair of Belstaff gaitors to cover my boots.

The jacket was expensive, put the rain pants & gaitors were relatively cheap.

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 03:12:31 PM »
Interesting.  I have a frogg togg suit that I bought...I think in 2003 or 4?  It does not have any booties, has never ripped or melted and still keeps the water out.  It is a bit loose or floppy, but I wear it outside my riding suit, so it mostly fits.  Perhaps they changed design in the last almost-20 years? I am fairly certain (without having looked at it in a year), that it is made out of tyvek.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 04:54:26 PM »
From Rodekyll

"I absolutely hate frog toggs.  They're cheap in every respect.  In my opinion, they are made for the SoCal crowd who carry them as insurance that they will never use them.  My riding buddies hole theirs on anything hot.  They become stiff and tear with age and temperature.  The booties are dangerous to walk in, especially in gas station lanes.  Don't even think about pushing your bike with them on -- I had an upper tear clean off its sole backing my bike up.  They tear where your shifter rubs, and they melt at the first accidental touch to your pipes or engine."

I pretty much agree with this assessment or FTs'.

For serious long distance travel in wet conditions I have over the years , come to use my aerostich water proof jacket, water proof boots and regular street pants with sometimes Bohn armor under and or wool long johns,(or both).

Then a very good pair of marine quality rain pants that can be rolled up and take little space, easy to don and remove. They are expensive but the pair I have have lasted for 16 years and still are in good nick. (300K miles +, lots of wet)

Done the alcan twice. both round trips.

FWIW

m
:-)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 05:32:25 PM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 05:15:07 PM »
Interesting.  I have a frogg togg suit that I bought...I think in 2003 or 4?  It does not have any booties, has never ripped or melted and still keeps the water out.  It is a bit loose or floppy, but I wear it outside my riding suit, so it mostly fits.  Perhaps they changed design in the last almost-20 years? I am fairly certain (without having looked at it in a year), that it is made out of tyvek.
I guess opinions are like other things, as they say.
I also have a set of FROGG TOGGS for several years now and they have held up great and to date has never let water penetration to my clothing underneath.
I guess this is the reason there are more than one brand of rain gear👍
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 07:27:18 PM by Ncdan »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 06:13:08 PM »
I've got just shy of 300k miles on bikes now, and I lived a subsistance lifestyle in Alaska for 30 years.  I've been annoyed or worse by sub-par rain gear to be passionate about the topic.  I've seen what works -- and what doesn't -- for me and the people around me.

In my last post I was trying to point out that people ride in different environments and use their gear in different ways.  If you use rain gear incidently and gently, then FT's might suit you well.  I don't.  I'm also thrifty.  I don't think FTs would stand up to the other activities I bought my Grundens for -- beach fishing, boating, hunting, yard work, mushrooming, etc, in all kinds of bad weather.  Motorcycle gear isn't up to all that.  My Grundens are my go-to tool for when the going gets soggy.  So for me a good set of foul weather gear makes sense.  I'm willing to pay for the quality and versitility.  Grundens aren't the only brand out there, but they're the ones I have now.

Seriously, once you get thinking out of the box, there is no downside to stepping up to commercial-fishing-grade marine gear.
Always use what one finds works best for them. I’m sure the more gear cost, for the most part the quality goes up. I don’t think there’s any arguments here, just different equipment being used and found to be acceptable to do the job👍

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 06:25:13 PM »
Been happy with Frogg Toggs. Lightweight and pack in small space.
GliderJohn

yep.  Same here.  My Frog Togg pants cuffs are totally melted by the exhaust pipes.  Also wear water proof boots or rain booties.  Water proof gloves need to be covered inside jacket, so they don't wick water.

I've been soaked so many ways.   :sad:

So my go-to are my textile Speed and Strength all purpose jacket.  I keep a water proof liner from another jacket packed (just in case) with Frog Togg pants with the burned cuffs and water proof and/or winter gloves.  And my Sidi All Road boots that I hope are water proof like I hope my S & S jacket is too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 06:32:16 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 06:32:55 PM »
FWIW, Frogs have several different qualities of suits. Some suck!
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 06:37:32 PM »
Great to see Kirby and Rodekyll (love the spelling BTW) here again.  LTNS.

But RK, where do you pack all that fishing gear?  It looks pretty bulky. 

Kirby, you can wear all that gear in the Cali desert and not burn up?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 08:10:26 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 06:58:25 PM »
Ha!
Well once across the river into the AZ side I strip down to a T-shirt, jeans, sunglasses, tennis shoes!

Strap everything on the rear rack...

Yipee!!

:-)
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 06:59:45 PM »
   I think a lot depends on your intentions and the bike you are riding. I'm satisfied with Frogg Toggs because my bike has some wind/weather protection. If I was riding a naked bike I might reconsider. It also depends on how determined you are to ride through an all day, or multiple day storm. I'm at an age now where I'll look for cover if the weather turns real bad. Even if it means a motel room for a day or two. Wasn't always this way. When I was younger I had more time restraints and less money. I've been through some real bad weather. Good memories and stories for the grandkids, but that kind of stuff is too much for this retired Florida sissy now.

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 10:44:34 PM »
Well, I did pose my review as opinion.  ymmv, and I won't argue your success. But I'm geared up for serious, active travelling, not spectator sporting.  My Grundens are serious gear.  Just out of curiosity -- how many trips on the alcan have you made with your froggies?  The Kassiar?  Kansas toad stranglers?  Snow?  Travelling cross-country, how many days in a week do you wear yours all day?  how many on/offs in a day?  That's where quality gear makes the difference.  In my opinion, you'll do as well wearing garbage bags as you will frog toggs. 

I agree with the post about gaiters.  Quality riding boots and gaiters are a good combination when the boots alone aren't getting the job done.

Well, I've circumnavigated the Great Lakes, gone to Colorado and Maine and back a couple times (from St. Louis or Iowa).  I've hit plenty of storms and plain old rain, so...not too bad on the miles.  I have not done the Alcan yet, but I would like to. 
I'll accept that Grunden's are better gear, but (just my opinion) the froggs have worked for me.  Good on you for getting out there and riding. 
Over and out...
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 05:46:18 AM »
Run of the mill Frogg Toggs are a let down if you happen to ride highway speeds on a naked bike, in my experience.  The rain will be driven thru them in a short amount of time.  Take a cheap set along if you have room though, they're the ticket for wearing under your real rainsuit if it's happened to spring a leak, or if you need added protection from the cold. 

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 05:48:46 AM »
I have Hein Gericke Firstgear jacket and pants. Very waterproof.
Use them year round. Too hot? Open the vents. Come with removable crash pads.
I have two jackets, one a little bigger to use with heated vest or jacket liner.
Why carry rain gear when you don't need to?
Not sure if they are still made? Lasting me a long time.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 07:41:32 AM »
When I used rain suits Frogg Toggs worked really well.  You need to get the heavier weight material that the motorcycle Toggs are made of for them to last.  I got 10's of thousands of miles out of them back when............... ..................

The Oxford stuff is also well done for not much $$$$.  HELD gore-tex motorcycle specific rain suits are the real deal, but $$$$$.
I've since changed to Gore shell jackets for anything other than a day ride.  We ride into and out of rain way too much here to A) pull over and doff/don a suit, or B) ride out of rain into 85 degree heat and roast.  A KLIM Apex has been just the ticket.

All that said, I do keep Frogg Toggs in the Jackal saddlebags as a "just in case" for the day ride thing if I'm not wearing the shell, which is most day rides.  LOVE my Vanson Leather!  At 8 years old, it's almost broken in!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:19:23 AM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 11:13:26 AM »
I tried Frogg Toggs once.  Like several here, I found them unsatisfactory on a motorcycle.  I relegated them to wearing when I needed to pressure wash the driveway, and I still got soaked through.  Finally tossed em.

Gore-tex is the way to go if you can get past the high buy-in.  For the most part, I wear jackets that are supposed to be "water-resistant."  Still, before a long trip, I hang the jacket outside and give it a liberal coating of Scotch Guard.  Seems to help.  Of course, if you like leather, a good rain jacket or suit is a necessity.  I have a First Gear rain jacket and paints which work just fine as long as you have the self-discipline to stop and put them on before it rains!

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 11:22:32 AM »
Again, Frogg Toggs come in several different weights.  The dynamics of speed and water pressure are different than standing in the rain.
Without getting WAY off into the ding weeds, just be sure whatever you use is rated for the increased perceived water pressure that speed on a bike delivers.

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 11:39:07 AM »
Here is an old photo of me (June 2012?) on a ride down the Oregon coast.  Lots of rain.  Lots and lots and lots of rain!  :shocked:  I was wearing a Tourmaster jacket touted as "water-resistant" whatever that means!  In the photo I've stopped to try and stop the shivering over a cup of coffee somewhere.  I started calling the Tourmaster the "Leakmaster!" (You can see the sodden jacket hanging on the chair)  Oh well, you get what you pay for.  After about Newport, I was tired of the rain and rode inland. It was still a great trip.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:40:26 AM by Motormike »

Offline Navydad

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 11:54:13 AM »
In my opinion "water resistant" means nothing. Toilet paper is "water resistant" up to a point.
I have a Grunden pullover top and a pair of Frogg Toggs pants (heavy material) these along with my Tourmaster waterproof boots have kept me dry even through two good old tropical storms down near the Gulf.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 12:15:54 PM »
For long distance runs in cold wet weather a light divers wet suit is really good but it’s a chore to get it on so it has to be a dedicated long run. I’ve only done it once and decided it was easier to just use a rain suit.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2022, 12:38:34 PM »
If you ride here you will get rained on. It rains more in Asheville than it does in Seattle or London, if that tells you anything.

You are much more likely to encounter morning mist and fog and afternoon scattered showers with a few thunderstorms peppered in...  Moreso than riding thru daylong soggy downpour.

In the summer it will be sweltering at elevations between 1800-2500 feet, but on the parkway at 3000+' its much cooler. For this reason I dont mess with any kind of 'rainproof suit' or a hurricane-rated storm protection heavy jacket.  I never had frog toggs so I dont know if they are good or bad.  I will say what works for me in that season around here is a nice breathable mesh jacket, pack the liner for cool mornings and evenings. Over that wear whatever rain jacket you like (I keep an old rain jacket stuffed under my saddle) and a pair of goretex overpants.  Boots? IDK, no such thing as a truly waterproff boot IMHO... If there is I certainly wouldnt pay the asking price for them... 

I dont believe it's possible to ride a moto in the rain and stay dry.. if the technology exists for that I probably wouldn't be willing to pay for it! You're gonna get at least a little wet, so you might as well be comfortable otherwise.  I like something I can pull on and off real quick, because as I said it's all about the scattered showers here and sudden downpours.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2022, 12:38:39 PM »
+1.  having been in the waterproof business as a product designer, field tester, and OEM I can tell you there's a lot of industry definitations of "waterproof", most of which are complete nonsense.  "Water resistant" is at the top of the list.

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2022, 12:41:04 PM »
Mayor,
I hear ya, but it can, and is, done.  It just costs.

I help sponsor an IBA Rally competitor.  Those folks know EVERYTHING about long distance comfort-everything.  It just costs!

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2022, 08:45:51 PM »
I've had good experience with Frogg Toggs.  Caveat, my BMW K75RT gives excellent wind protection.  Folds small and easy on/off. Stayed dry in some pretty long and heavy rains.  I'm definitely not as hard riding as Rodekyll.  Be sure you try them on first with riding gear on.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2022, 07:45:06 AM »
Mayor,
I hear ya, but it can, and is, done.  It just costs.

I help sponsor an IBA Rally competitor.  Those folks know EVERYTHING about long distance comfort-everything.  It just costs!

I'm sure there is great stuff to keep you dry on marathon rides.. I personally dont like the idea of putting on a big moon suit over my clothes to ride in 80+ degree heat and 80%+ humidity just because of some intermittent rain. That stuff is too hot and not breathable enough for me.  June/July in WNC, best to just have something light and rain resistant to throw over some breezy gear if you get caught in a downpour.  Sweat or rain, you are going to be damp either way.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here