Author Topic: The shape of things to come - Rocker59 buys an '04 California EV Touring  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
    Have to agree with TravlR and Rocker about the LeMans V. Great bike. I had one for a few years until one fateful night I tried to stay awake too long and fell asleep at the wheel. Insurance totaled it but it wasn't really that bad. Sydney Conn bought it from the insurance company for his land speed efforts which he did quite well. I replaced it with an 1100 Sport that I amassed 120,000 miles on. That was a great bike too. But time marches on and this old body doesn't tolerate sport bike ergonomics anymore. And that's ok, I'm perfectly happy riding my 02 California Special Sport.
To the unwashed they see it as an ugly old man's cruiser. But you guys and I know that under that not so attractive bodywork is a race bike frame and an engine that just won't quit.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Yeah, baby.  Someone before me did a little work.

Put the new rear tire on, today.  The trusty field expedient motorcycle lift comes in handy!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 09:39:50 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
Looks like we're soul brothers now Rocker.
I have also recently acquired a beautiful 2004 EV Cali, thanks be to Mister Roper who referred me to this machine.
So it was very original and has had the recalls done as well as a gearbox restore by Pete , changing those plastic caged mains to proper metal. If yours isn't done I suggest you keep a weather eye on oil in the bellhousing cause those plastic cages are not long for this world.
So for me , like you, I hated that huge screen thingy, hate looking through layers of perspex and hate that turbulence.
My first act was to remove it. I rode it like that for a week and then fitted a little bikini fairing that I have had on a few bikes over the years.
Turns out it suits this Cali.
Next thing was those horrible footboards. Luckily I found a bloke with a set of lower rails and footpegs from a Jackal, complete with levers.
Fitted those but missed the bling which I ordered from Harpers. Sorry but I have to say Harpers service was not as expected. After a couple of weeks I realised there was no tracking number so I contacted them to be told that they were in a turmoil , apparently from other reports, a continual state in their company, and that I would have to pay more than expected for the freight because they didn't have their act together online.  They claimed they had  contacted me but that was not so.  A shame, I have dealt with them before and I hope they lift their game.
Anyway, I eventually got the bling and it didn't fit , didn't have clearance for the levers, so I belted it till it did, and it's OK, just a bit rough if anyone bothers to look.
Next thing was the riding position with those bars. My issue is we have a lot of potholes round here and sitting bolt upright gives you a bad jolt right up your spine if you are unfortunate enough not to be standing on your pegs.
So I found a set of wide dirt bike bars that have the right diameters centre and outer but are much lower than the standard bars. Only problem was the inner diameter was different for the bar end weights, so I had to improvise some rubber to fit in there.
Result is I have total control of my pedals, what a difference to gear selection and ease of braking, I look over a bikini fairing that pleases me, and I lean forward so bumps don't jar my back and I feel more in control.
What a wonderful machine.
 Here's the original bike .

Then I fitted the small fairing.

And here it is with the footpegs and lower bars.

Only 38,000K's on the clock. I think this will see me out. Love every moment on it.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Looks like we're soul brothers now Rocker.

:thumb:

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here