Author Topic: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles  (Read 236306 times)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles
« Reply #330 on: July 17, 2014, 08:25:04 AM »
Yesterday I parked the LeMans on the loading dock, which is our company's smoking area.  Later in the day, one of our on-air lady hosts stopped me in the hall and said "I didn't know you were such a badass.  That bike is awesome."

Clearly she was coming on to you.   :D
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #331 on: July 17, 2014, 08:28:59 AM »
Nate , most of those types are all doo rag , no miles . Last fall I encountered two of them at a C store , was asking a few questions about their bikes . One of them proudly proclaimed his 2013 alphabet glide was carbed , not fuel injected . When I pointed out the fact that his buddies 2012 alphabet glide had exactly the same E.F.I . system his bike had ... well, the conversation sorta died  ;D
   Dusty
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:30:04 AM by oldbike54 »

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #332 on: July 17, 2014, 08:53:36 AM »
Nate , most of those types are all doo rag , no miles .
   Dusty

Even the president of one of the big 1% clubs surprised me when I told him I rode an old shovelhead. He asked what transmission I had in it. I told him a ratchet top 4 speed. He then went on to tell me that my bike was only good to ride to the bar and back and if I really wanted to put some miles on I needed to get a 5 or 6 speed Harley. I went on to inform him that I do many 5 and 600 mile days on it and that the 4 speed is no different than a 5 speed as they are both 1 to 1 in top gear. He then went on to say "ya but with the 5 speed you have 1 more gear so your not beating the motor to death on the highway". After that I tried to explain that I had geared my bike for the Highway and that it probably turns less RPM than any stock 5 speed bike at 70mph. Then He got all huffy and puffy and told me how I was wrong and that it can't cause it's only a 4 speed and how he has ridden bla bla bla. It was like arguing with a blind man who thinks the sky is green. I just nodded my head said ok and walked away.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #333 on: July 17, 2014, 10:19:51 AM »
"ya but with the 5 speed you have 1 more gear so your not beating the motor to death on the highway"

Like the guitar amp that goes up to 11.  It's better because it's one more than 10.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #333 on: July 17, 2014, 10:19:51 AM »

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #334 on: July 17, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »
Even the president of one of the big 1% clubs surprised me when I told him I rode an old shovelhead. He asked what transmission I had in it. I told him a ratchet top 4 speed. He then went on to tell me that my bike was only good to ride to the bar and back and if I really wanted to put some miles on I needed to get a 5 or 6 speed Harley. I went on to inform him that I do many 5 and 600 mile days on it and that the 4 speed is no different than a 5 speed as they are both 1 to 1 in top gear. He then went on to say "ya but with the 5 speed you have 1 more gear so your not beating the motor to death on the highway". After that I tried to explain that I had geared my bike for the Highway and that it probably turns less RPM than any stock 5 speed bike at 70mph. Then He got all huffy and puffy and told me how I was wrong and that it can't cause it's only a 4 speed and how he has ridden bla bla bla. It was like arguing with a blind man who thinks the sky is green. I just nodded my head said ok and walked away.

Can't argue with stupid.

Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #335 on: July 17, 2014, 11:00:50 AM »

I park next to a Harley at work here that has a "Six Speed" sticker on the transmission.   

I've had three Big Twins, and I wonder to myself "What in the world is the point of a six-speed transmission on one of these things?"   I mean, on a 120CC Suzuki two-stroke, that has to be kept "on the pipe", it makes sense, but on a big torquey Harley that is happy at 2500 RPM?   Sounds like a huge waste of gear metal and ankle motion to me.   I mean, I barely needed 4 speeds ....

Oh well, I suppose they have to "keep up" with everyone else who's putting six speeds on their bikes, customers won't be happy otherwise.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #336 on: July 17, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »
Funny, Nigel Tufnel's blank stare and "...but this goes to 11" immediately came to mind as well.

It's not a "stupid thing someone said," but I have ridden with my brother in law's friends, and he and they all have Harleys. I like Harley Davidsons. But in talking with them, I realized that they aren't motorcycle guys, they are "toy guys." They have jet skis, boats, snowmobiles, ATVs, in addition to their Dynas and Softails. Motorcycles are just another on their list of ways to spend a summer afternoon, so they really didn't even know that much about the bikes they were riding. I'm no motorcycle savant, but it made for short and dull conversation.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:12:36 AM by segesta »
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #337 on: July 17, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »
I have ridden with my brother in law's friends, and he and they all have Harleys. I like Harley Davidsons. But in talking with them, I realized that they aren't motorcycle guys, they are "toy guys." They have jet skis, boats, snowmobiles, ATVs, in addition to their Dynas and Softails. Motorcycles are just another on their list of ways to spend a summer afternoon, so they really didn't even know that much about the bikes they were riding. I'm no motorcycle savant, but it made for short and dull conversation.

I know a bunch of people like that.  The "Harley" is a lifestyle accessory that shares space in the garage with the bass boat / ski boat, ATV, etc.

They own and ride motorcycles for different reasons than I do, and it's hard to have a motorcycle conversation with them.  They're not into motorcycles.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #338 on: July 17, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »
Funny, Nigel Tufnel's blank stare and "...but this goes to 11" immediately came to mind as well.

It's not a "stupid thing someone said," but I have ridden with my brother in law's friends, and he and they all have Harleys. I like Harley Davidsons. But in talking with them, I realized that they aren't motorcycle guys, they are "toy guys." They have jet skis, boats, snowmobiles, ATVs, in addition to their Dynas and Softails. Motorcycles are just another on their list of ways to spend a summer afternoon, so they really didn't even know that much about the bikes they were riding. I'm no motorcycle savant, but it made for short and dull conversation.

Nothing wrong with a motorcycle being an occasional toy, not to me.   If I had jet ski or a snowmobile, IT would be an occasional seasonal toy for me, and I'd be a boring conversationalist with someone who was building custom snowmobiles for 200-mile winter endurance races at 100 MPH ...

I know and ride with plenty of folks who freely admit they are fair-weather riders and don't know much about their bike except that they had the shop do "pipes and a jet kit" or "pipes and a chip" for them.   And that's fine.

It's the people who do that AND try to come across as a badass heavy-duty road rider that make me turn away in disgust.    I'm on the road a lot; I know who rides and who doesn't around my town, and at the gas stations and motels and mountain overlooks and campgrounds.    Even so, some people try to get away with lying about it and THAT'S what makes them sound stupid ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:18:23 AM by Lannis »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #339 on: July 17, 2014, 11:19:26 AM »
I park next to a Harley at work here that has a "Six Speed" sticker on the transmission.   

I've had three Big Twins, and I wonder to myself "What in the world is the point of a six-speed transmission on one of these things?"   I mean, on a 120CC Suzuki two-stroke, that has to be kept "on the pipe", it makes sense, but on a big torquey Harley that is happy at 2500 RPM?   Sounds like a huge waste of gear metal and ankle motion to me.   I mean, I barely needed 4 speeds ....

Oh well, I suppose they have to "keep up" with everyone else who's putting six speeds on their bikes, customers won't be happy otherwise.

Lannis

The new six-speed is an overdrive.  With the newer, 100-inch engines, they can get away with loping along at highway speeds at very low rpm.

Wouldn't doubt that it has something to do with EPA noise emissions tests, too.  I think the drive-by test is still 55 mph. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #340 on: July 17, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
I won't argue the 6 speed because it actually is an overdrive transmission. With the low redline the power band is rather small on a Harley as well. Even if they make torque off idle the weight of the new bikes and the 5500 redline (rough guess of Harley redline) means a fairly small powerband to work with. A 5 speed would allow taller gearing for an RPM drop in 5th at highway speeds but that's not how the 5 speeds were built they just made the ratios closer for better 1/4 mile times. If you had a wide ratio 5 speed or a 5 speed with OD that would be all you need. Harley basically did that with there 6 speed OD giving you a 5 speed close ratio trans for 1/4 mile times and an OD for highway cruising.  

Since I didn't care about stoplight racing or 1/4 mile times I just geared my 4 speed to cruse at 70-75mph at the RPM I wanted. So I lost a little on acceleration and had to give a little more throttle and clutch action to get her rolling. Worked fine for me. I guess I shouldn't be to hard on the guy. I don't think most people understand gear ratios RPM's and powerbands. It truly is a But these go to 11 world out there. Why not make 10 louder? Because these go to 11.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #341 on: July 17, 2014, 11:33:57 AM »
It truly is a But these go to 11 world out there. Why not make 10 louder? Because these go to 11.

~;

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Steve Scott

• Gaggle Hero
  • Ride, Fettle, Repeat
« Reply #342 on: July 17, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »
From a 1%'er type with an old Sporty at a bike show in WV about 25 years ago:
 I'll never wear one of those stupid full-face helmets... you can't even breathe in there... that's the reason most rice-rocket squids ride crazy the way they do... they can't get enough air!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:43:18 AM by Steve Scott »
'79 Morini 500S
'00 'Guzzi Jackal
'67 Teisco ET-440
Spring Grove, PA USA

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #343 on: July 17, 2014, 11:50:06 AM »
Happened last week and immediately thought of this thread...

Guy rides up on a really big Japanese cruiser bike and parks across the road from this:

He looks over and asks "Is that an old Yamaha?"

No it's an Ariel, an old British bike.

"How old?"

"Gee, I thought it was about 1968..."

Made me laugh.
Maybe he can be forgiven seeing as we were out in the middle of nowhere (Klamath River) and it was about 95 degrees in the shade.  Context is (almost) everything.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #344 on: July 17, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »
^^^  In fairness to that guy, the British motorcycle industry didn't make a lot of changes to their bikes between 1939 and 1968.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:56:51 AM by youcanrunnaked »
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #345 on: July 17, 2014, 12:00:56 PM »
^^^  In fairness to that guy, the British motorcycle industry didn't make a lot of changes to their bikes between 1939 and 1968.

;D  Good one!
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline analog kid

• Hatchling
« Reply #346 on: July 17, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
"Uuhhhh, what is that....a Gold Wing?"

While looking over my unfaired, naked 1990 Mille GT.

In fairness, the question was posed by two 70-something year old non-motorcycle guys just making conversation, so I thought nothing of it. I think it illustrates how "Gold Wing" has become synonymous with "motorcycle" in some peoples minds.
If it's not a 'Harley', it must be a 'Gold Wing'!
 :bike
90 Mille GT
03 Aprilia Caponord
84 LeMans lll (project)
07 Breva 1100 (sold)

oldbike54

« Reply #347 on: July 17, 2014, 12:23:07 PM »

In fairness, the question was posed by two 70-something year old non-motorcycle guys just making conversation, so I thought nothing of it. I think it illustrates how "Gold Wing" has become synonymous with "motorcycle" in some peoples minds.

Wait ,.. you mean GWs aren't Harleys  ??? :D
   Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #348 on: July 17, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »

If it had a small fairing, it would have been a "Ninja bike".   Big fairing, "Gold Wing".   Everything else, "Harley".

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #349 on: July 17, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »
I know a bunch of people like that.  The "Harley" is a lifestyle accessory that shares space in the garage with the bass boat / ski boat, ATV, etc.

They own and ride motorcycles for different reasons than I do, and it's hard to have a motorcycle conversation with them.  They're not into motorcycles.

I know a few guys like that too.  We meet, spend a little time together while at our son's activities and the subject of motorcycles comes up eventually.  One guy has a garage full of small bore '60s Hondas he collects but has others restore for him and doesn't ride.  Another has a Heritage Softtail but turns away as soon as I mention anything mechanical that doesn't involve chrome.  He saw my LeMans once and honestly, the look on his face said he didn't get it at all.  His bike is his toy and he rides to park with his like minded buddies and post selfies on FB.  We've never ridden together because I don't have a Harley and don't like to hang out at bike nights.  He's in his 50s and wears a long wig to play in a hair metal band.

To each his own, he's happy, I'm happy.

Tobit

Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #350 on: July 17, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »
This one can't compete with most of the ones on this thread, but last weekend one of my neighbors saw me staring at my bike (looking for an unaccounted for tool while cleaning up) and he said "I can tell you really love your bike, you keep staring at it".

That was nice to hear and true, albeit incorrect, but it's not the stupid part.

He comes over and looks at it and says "Is it a Harley?" The Bassa says Moto Guzzi on the tank and valve cover on both sides of the bike. You gotta wonder about some people.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Late to the party

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #351 on: July 17, 2014, 02:31:19 PM »
This one can't compete with most of the ones on this thread, but last weekend one of my neighbors saw me staring at my bike (looking for an unaccounted for tool while cleaning up) and he said "I can tell you really love your bike, you keep staring at it".

That was nice to hear and true, albeit incorrect, but it's not the stupid part.

He comes over and looks at it and says "Is it a Harley?" The Bassa says Moto Guzzi on the tank and valve cover on both sides of the bike. You gotta wonder about some people.

What part of "Moto Guzzi" do you think he couldn't understand?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #352 on: July 17, 2014, 02:43:57 PM »
What part of "Moto Guzzi" do you think he couldn't understand?

Sons of Anarchy Harley Hells Angels Harley Wild Hogs Harley He bought a Harley I got a new Harley You ought to get a Harley A bunch of Harleys just passed by Harley HarleyHarleyHarleyH arleyHarleyHarleyHa rleyHarleyHarleyHar ley....

It's all anyone ever hears outside of people who actually ride bikes.   Their marketing is relentless, the entertainment world knows that Harley=Motorcycle so they never try anything different, the mainstream media is just stupid so they think all motorcycles are Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys Harleys

so it's no wonder people don't understand what "Moto Guzzi" on a gas tank might mean.

Lannis

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #353 on: July 17, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »
I've probably posted this before.  This conversation took place outside a diner, next to a Harley dealer, on a busy Saturday.  Bike is my red 1996 Sport 1100. The guy who approaches me is either a new rider, or wants to be a rider.  Don't know if he owned a bike, but he was hanging out at the HD dealership on a Saturday:

Him:  "Moh-Toh Guh-Zee?  Who makes that?"

Me:  Moto Guzzi makes it.  (pointing to large logo on fuel tank).

Him:  "No.  I mean WHO makes that?  Honda?"

Me:  No.  It's a Moto Guzzi.  It's an Italian brand.

Him: "Oh.  I thought it was a Jap bike".

Me:  No.  Moto Guzzi has been building bikes in Northern Italy since 1921.

Him:  "Hmmm.  Never heard of 'em".  (and he turns and walks away).

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

canuguzzi

« Reply #354 on: July 17, 2014, 03:40:18 PM »
"What is that?"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #355 on: July 17, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »

.........and then it went broke!
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #356 on: July 17, 2014, 06:53:39 PM »
Not motorcycle related but related by thought process (or lack there of).

When I was a bus driver I would often be sitting in the bus at the main terminal in town with my destination signs lit up and clearly displayed on both the front and on the side of the bus. The side one was just above eye height by the drivers door.

On numerous occasions someone would come to the door and ask "Does this bus go to (pick destination)"  

It was a head slapper. New Zealand is supposed to be one of the more literate countries in the world. Many times I've wished I could make one of those cartoon faces, the ones with the zig-zag mouth and the little black cloud above the head.

Guzzi content
Interestingly, despite their relative rarity most people who comment at all about Guzzi here seem to know of them and most know they are Italian.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:04:30 PM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

oldbike54

« Reply #357 on: July 17, 2014, 07:24:37 PM »
John r , NZ does rank in the top ten per capita in pot use , think maybe ... naw , pot heads can still read  ;D

Dusty

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #358 on: July 18, 2014, 05:51:05 AM »
John r , NZ does rank in the top ten per capita in pot use , think maybe ... naw , pot heads can still read  ;D

Dusty

;D a survey once established that about 50% had at least tried it  ;D, but as you say, they can read.  ;D
(I believe the stuff is supposed to be quite good for mental acuity, baring the short term memory while actually under the influence)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:51:36 AM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #359 on: July 18, 2014, 06:58:32 AM »
;D a survey once established that about 50% had at least tried it  ;D, but as you say, they can read.  ;D
(I believe the stuff is supposed to be quite good for mental acuity, baring the short term memory while actually under the influence)

Of the other 50% 25% had tried it but lied and said they have not. The remaining 25% don't know what they are missing.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here