Author Topic: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles  (Read 236268 times)

Offline analog kid

• Hatchling
Re: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles
« Reply #570 on: May 31, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »
I was selling my Honda VTR1000 sportbike in summer 2007. Posted an online ad listing that it was a "1000cc V-Twin" (with pics of course).

Received a phone call from Mr. Squid.

His first question: "what's a V-Twin?"
Second question: "is it faster than a CBR?"
I reply "Honda CBR what? 600 or 1000?"
Third question: "uh, what do you mean?"

I replied "I think my bike isn't fast enough for you"
90 Mille GT
03 Aprilia Caponord
84 LeMans lll (project)
07 Breva 1100 (sold)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #571 on: June 12, 2016, 01:41:22 AM »
I'm currently trying to get a missing part provided from an offshore seller.  They sold me a pair of radial master cylinders, but without the lever adjuster screw for one.  I've been trying to convince them that all I need is for them to ship the screw, but it's been slow going.  They want me to return both pumps for a refund and then reorder.  I don't want to uninstall the complete one to return it, since it's on a barge headed for Seattle and I am not.  I also didn't buy these last month so I could spend the next three months shipping them hither and yon.  The latest is that they're pretending to not understand me or what part is missing.  The latest message says

"Please provide a picture of the part that is missing."

:shocked:

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #572 on: June 12, 2016, 07:57:41 AM »

"Please provide a picture of the part that is missing."

:shocked:

Send them a picture of a brain from a person with dementia.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #573 on: June 12, 2016, 08:50:25 AM »
The latest is that they're pretending to not understand me or what part is missing.  The latest message says    "Please provide a picture of the part that is missing."

Assume they're sincere and send photos showing the part on the one that has the screw, and the hole where it goes on the one that's missing the screw.  I've bought parts from far east sellers who genuinely don't understand much English, but once I get my idea across, they're very helpful.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #573 on: June 12, 2016, 08:50:25 AM »

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #574 on: June 12, 2016, 12:01:30 PM »
"Loud pipes save lives"

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #575 on: June 12, 2016, 12:33:41 PM »
Assume they're sincere and send photos showing the part on the one that has the screw, and the hole where it goes on the one that's missing the screw.  I've bought parts from far east sellers who genuinely don't understand much English, but once I get my idea across, they're very helpful.

It's like those emails I get where it says "if you don't get this email call us at 800-800-8000."  Or the teacher I had who'd enter the room and say "Ok -- everyone who's not here go stand by the wall."

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #576 on: June 12, 2016, 01:19:04 PM »
It's like those emails I get where it says "if you don't get this email call us at 800-800-8000."  Or the teacher I had who'd enter the room and say "Ok -- everyone who's not here go stand by the wall."

Yes, I understand the humor of it.    :grin:    I just hope you get the part you need, in time for it to do some good.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline ssdeguerra

• Gosling
« Reply #577 on: July 14, 2016, 05:38:49 PM »
Girl and her boyfriend walk by the Calvin and say "nice bike man"! Boy gives a head nod towards the seat and asks where does the seatbelt go?

lucydad

« Reply #578 on: July 15, 2016, 07:47:41 AM »
Highway 550 thread on this forum.  Just stupid.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #579 on: July 15, 2016, 02:37:47 PM »
I'm getting a lot of "I ride a [insert snob appeal bike here] but I had to come look at yours anyway."

oldbike54

« Reply #580 on: July 15, 2016, 02:49:52 PM »
I'm getting a lot of "I ride a [insert snob appeal bike here] but I had to come look at yours anyway."

Motus riders ???? :shocked:

Dusty

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #581 on: July 15, 2016, 10:05:51 PM »
I am one of those who always puts the bike in neutral.  Sorry, but, I feel the chances of being rear ended are small enough that I don't worry about it.

Yes, you can now post about all the people you know or heard about being killed from a rear impact.

I didn't get killed but only because the bus driver hit the brakes instantly and stopped just in time. Smell it, I was lying in it. :shocked:

I put in neutral all the time after that and go in to gear when I see the orange on the lights.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline aiken

• New Egg
« Reply #582 on: July 16, 2016, 02:20:46 AM »
After 2 1/2 years and 25,000 problem laden miles on my 2014 V7 Stone, I remarked to the MG dealer that I have spent a thousand dollars on cab fare and have yet to make it between oil change intervals without a break down or repair. He replied, "well, if you ride it, it's gonna break; and you've put a lot of miles on this bike..."
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:27:03 AM by aiken »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #583 on: July 16, 2016, 08:24:49 AM »
After 2 1/2 years and 25,000 problem laden miles on my 2014 V7 Stone, I remarked to the MG dealer that I have spent a thousand dollars on cab fare and have yet to make it between oil change intervals without a break down or repair. He replied, "well, if you ride it, it's gonna break; and you've put a lot of miles on this bike..."

Wow, sorry about your V7 and the people you trust to keep it going.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #584 on: July 16, 2016, 10:28:17 AM »

I think we have a winner
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #585 on: July 17, 2016, 10:06:08 AM »
You want to read about stupid?  This one has two components:  a company policy of lame-assed stupidity laced with condescending ignorance, and being stupid with the wrong guy.

. . . . the parts bimbo at a Portland area 'dealership' (still not naming them, but they're the only one near the Portland airport) who sweetly told me she wouldn't have a rear crank seal for anything as old as a hydro because of all those changes in big block crank seal over the years.  If I had a NEWER guzzi she might check stock, but considering the hopeless age of my relic, there was no point.  Besides, if they needed parts or guzzis they ordered them from MI in Seattle, like everyone else.  Likewise, if I needed the flywheel bolts I should find myself a Fastenol store like everyone else does, or order from MI.  Then she leaned in and confided "It is what it is." 

Owner backed her up with essentially the same words (they must rehearse the scene to be absolutely sure they're of no help whatsoever) and was annoyed that I wanted a guzzi 'dealer' to check stock on stuff after his bimbo already said she didn't want to.  Basically, he explained, big block crank seals are more complicated than my simple mind can grasp, and go away old man, you annoy me.

Yes, it certainly "is what it is".  Like this recommendation to stay the f*c$ away from the hipstership near the airport in Portland is exactly 'what it is'.  I carry a better supply of spares in my toolkit than that fancy dumpster has in inventory, and any of us know guzzi better than these jackasses.  The idea that the shop owner personally invited me to ride from John Day to Portland and then treat me like that is unforgivable.  Join me in helping to drive them out of our misery.

Offline Seamaster

• New Egg
« Reply #586 on: July 17, 2016, 12:58:48 PM »
Bought a 2016 V7II without telling my wife. When I rode the bike home, the first thing my wife asked me was "how's our(your) life insurance, I think we need to upgrade it!"  :angry:
2016 Moto Guzzi V7II Stone Black

Offline riding4work

• New Egg
« Reply #587 on: July 17, 2016, 06:36:41 PM »
"I've got to be honest, I'm a cross-dresser" "I ride a Goldwing and a Harley Heritage"

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #588 on: July 22, 2016, 03:24:27 PM »
Friend of mine: "What kind of bike is it you're restoring?"
Me: "A nineteen-"
Him: *eyes widen*
Me: "-seventy five Moto Guzzi 850T"
Him: "Moto Guzzi? That sounds Japanese!"
Me: "What?! How the F--- does that sounds Japanese?"
Him: "I don't know, it just does."

He then squinted his eyes, made a karate chopping motion and said in a very atypical samurai-shogun voice "MO-TOH GOOZEH"

He isn't the least bit partial to motorcycles at all and I find this more funny than anything, but being just a Guzzi and motorcycle pup myself it's all I have to offer.
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #589 on: July 22, 2016, 03:39:05 PM »
Maybe pronouncing it Moto-Goot-Zee would have helped make it sound Italian.   :wink:

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #590 on: July 22, 2016, 03:56:50 PM »
Maybe pronouncing it Moto-Goot-Zee would have helped make it sound Italian.   :wink:

Perhaps, I would like to get into the habit of pronouncing it like that but Goozy might be to far ingrained by now lol. Tomato/tomato, right?  :evil:
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

oldbike54

« Reply #591 on: July 22, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »
 Hmm , MO TO GUZZ I , KA WA SA KI , well... 

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #592 on: July 22, 2016, 04:38:34 PM »
Perhaps, I would like to get into the habit of pronouncing it like that but Goozy might be to far ingrained by now lol. Tomato/tomato, right?  :evil:

I was a kid the first time I saw a Guzzi, and I assumed it was Moto-Guh-zee.  I thought they were really cool, big motorcycles, and still associate "Guh-zee" with them in my head, although I have forced myself to pronounce Goot-zee since I bought one, mostly out of respect for the founder with that name.

Offline Seamaster

• New Egg
« Reply #593 on: July 22, 2016, 04:44:51 PM »
I find that wearing underwear on my head is a very effective method of attracting attention  :shocked:

Dusty

just make sure to use T-back for better aerodynamics  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:45:22 PM by Seamaster »
2016 Moto Guzzi V7II Stone Black

oldbike54

« Reply #594 on: July 22, 2016, 04:48:44 PM »
just make sure to use T-back for better aerodynamics  :wink:

Actually that was posted in the wrong thread , but maybe it fits here also  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline David 54

• New Egg
« Reply #595 on: July 23, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
Ok, finally had a "dumb question" thrown at me today. I'm at a used car lot looking for a truck and one of the 30ish salesman who is literally 5 feet away from the bike says "What kind of bike is that?"   Sure we've all gotten that one but really? It's a 94' Cali with a large MOTO GUZZI sticker right on the tank. I simply relied, Moto Guzzi and continued to get my gear on. So, as you probably guessed by now, that initial perceptive inquiry was not the dumb question that prompted this post. He precedes to say "Never heard of that bike". No surprise there, but then..........wait for it.........he stares at the bike then says "Is the tank really that big?"  Yep, yes he did. I seriously had no idea what to say, so of course, with an ever so slight tone of sarcasm, I said "No, no it's not". Got and the bike left.  No biggie, they didn't have any Moto Guzzi trucks there anyway. :)
No Moto Guzzi Ercole's......shame😜😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 Nuovo Falcone
1983 SP1000
2016 BMW RnineT

Offline David 54

• New Egg
« Reply #596 on: July 23, 2016, 10:20:42 AM »
At a local "WW2 Days" show today, an older gent on a Honda VTX1300(?) asked Bill Sharp and I: "do things still fall off these Goozies like they did on the old ones or do you Loctite everything?" Huh? We both told him that vibration wasn't an issue and that neither of us Loctite anything. "Oh, I guess with nylon locknuts and better hardware you don't have to. When I was in Italy, those old ones would vibrate everything loose." I don't know what "old ones" he had experience with, but I doubt it, probably just another geezer trying to make himself feel superior in his choice of motorcycle.
I've had a 1970 Guzzi single since 2009, nothing has "fallen off" or vibrated loose
1970 Nuovo Falcone
1983 SP1000
2016 BMW RnineT

oldbike54

« Reply #597 on: July 23, 2016, 10:27:03 AM »
 Well ... a certain fella from Nebraska has managed to lose a sidestand from two different Converts  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #598 on: July 23, 2016, 05:12:33 PM »
Not stupid but understandable. I had fitted a tank on the old Matchy that held about 8.5 US gals. I used to enjoy going in to a gas station when on about empty and say "fill er up". At about 4 gallons they would start peering in, at about 5 they would say things like "where the h*ll is it going". About 7 they would look under it because they thought it must be running out the bottom. By the time it was full there would be comments like"that holds more than my car!".

Puerile I know, but always good for a laugh.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline gfritzmeier

• Hatchling
« Reply #599 on: March 08, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »
I was looking for a fuel filter for my 2003 Guzzi Cal. Aluminum.  I called the parts dept. at the closest dealer(85 miles from me). A young lady answered and after being asked how she could help me I told her. She put me on hold for a couple minutes.  When she came back she said " I'm sorry sir but there is no such motorcycle."           Now when I have needed help from a dealer I travel a little further.
Ya don't have to believe everything ya think!

Ride All Day,Play All Night!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here