Author Topic: '77 850-T3 Transmission Input/Output Bearings  (Read 5104 times)

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
'77 850-T3 Transmission Input/Output Bearings
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:58:46 AM »

This came out of the 5 speed transmission on my 850-T3. I'm looking for a replacement.
Bearing is marked SKF, 3205, ITALY, 2. This just indicates a light duty double row angular contact bearing.

This bearing (photo) has 14 balls per row and is assembled through a "fill slot".

All the replacements I see are 9 balls per row. That would make them light duty.

Is the 9 ball an acceptable swap for the 14 ball?
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: '77 850-T3 Transmission Input/Output Bearings
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »
I wouldn't use the 9 ball, especially if they have plastic cages. You'll want to find 3205 AC3 IIRC. I bought some from Pete Roper.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:16:23 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 01:09:19 PM »
For some reason, (I have no idea why?) the 3205 AC3 type used in pre-'84 gearboxes seem to be very hard to find in the US. It's weird, I can get them just down the road in Canberra, usually overnight, and tend to keep a couple on the shelf as I still do a fair bit of 5 speed work.

The later bikes use 3205 ATN9 bearings with a phenolic cage and nine balls per race, these are slightly higher speed rated but also lower load rated and although either will theoretically perform the task the ATN9's are undeniably more fragile.

Pete

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 01:45:33 PM »
It's the designation that is making me nuts.
3205 A/C3 is a C3 internal clearance bearing. It is sold in both an 18 ball and 28 ball configuration. The 28 ball unit has fill slots in the inner and outer races.

I've also seen the ....N9 bearing in 18 and 28 balls.

I'm used to the bearing number describing every unique aspect of the bearing. Size, clearance, shielding, mounting grooves etc. This particular bearing seems to ignore the standard labeling conventions.

I have sourced the ones I want, but it was by product images combined with the basic 3205 product number.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 01:45:33 PM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 02:04:19 PM »
It's the designation that is making me nuts.
3205 A/C3 is a C3 internal clearance bearing. It is sold in both an 18 ball and 28 ball configuration. The 28 ball unit has fill slots in the inner and outer races.

I've also seen the ....N9 bearing in 18 and 28 balls.

I'm used to the bearing number describing every unique aspect of the bearing. Size, clearance, shielding, mounting grooves etc. This particular bearing seems to ignore the standard labeling conventions.

I have sourced the ones I want, but it was by product images combined with the basic 3205 product number.

Care to share where you've sourced the 28 ball bearing?
Charlie

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 02:22:45 PM »
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:26:59 PM by n3303j »
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 02:51:51 PM »
Avoid the 9 ball with plastic cage.
Dilliw found a good source in the US. I'll search for it.

Found the old email. Maybe something in here will help you find a good bearing.

In the U.S. there are two stocked bearings that are better alternatives to the 3205 ATN9 (9 ball plastic cage) bearing found in the 5 speed transmission.  One way to find “unobtainium” is to find a friend in the same boat.  In this case the U.S. guys with the 70's/80’s Husky kickers have to source same bearing and these are their two main options.

ZKL 3205 New Force C3 is the old design, 14 ball with a serpentine metal cage.  There is good quantity of these on the ZKL US website and you can find them in distribution for $20-$25 each.  Czech made (maybe).

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/motors/bearings/angular-contact-bearings/3205c3-nf-double-row-angular-contact-c3-irc

SKF 3205 E/C3 and MRC 5205M C3 appear to be the same bearing (they are the same company).  It’s a 13 ball, max fill c3 with of a  newer design using a metal cage designed for  high speed applications.  I got them here (not the quickest ship) for $72/each.

https://www.mrosupply.com/bearings/angular-contact-bearings/double-row-angular-contact/2069123_3205-ec3_skf-bearing/

It's anyone's bet as to if the newer design is worth 3X the price but that's what I bought.

Source:
http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/on-your-crank-bearings.45145/

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:05:22 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 03:41:28 PM »
https://tinyurl.com/ya7mghgf
https://www.123bearing.com/bearing-3205-SKF.php

Couple of choices, not counting eBay.

https://tinyurl.com/yauswhjv
Counting eBay.

Thanks! Found the first source myself after searching a bit and was on 123 Bearing's site but hadn't found those.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:10:37 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Online acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
     Please let us know what shows up. From experience, what shows up doesn't necessarily match what is promised. Out of frustration, I ended up using the 9 ball metal caged skf explorer in my T3 and it seems to go down the road just fine, but for how long?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:21:55 PM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 06:25:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure what will show up is the item I want.

In these ambiguous situations I get a verbal or written confirmation that the product matches the supplied photo. Probably end up with the expense part from 123bearing. They will work directly with you over the phone.

At age 72 i only need to do this job once to have a lifetime guarantee. Box only has 60K miles on it to the best of my knowlege BUT one day it made some odd noises and the oil was full of aluminum powder. Bought a spare box with a broken shift spring from eBay. Fixrd it and put it in the bike and threw the original one in a corner for a couple of years. Finally have time on my hands. Found a couple of the rollers from the throwout bearing in the bottom of the box. Figured one (or more) of these found their way into the speedometer drive worm. Lost a bit of that worm and the area aluminum was chewed a fair amount. Surprisingly the speedometer never stopped working.

(PS: Looking for someone who has one of the worms around who doesn't hold it too dear.) Otherwise I have to buy the whole assembly for a premium price.
Thanks
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 06:35:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure what will show up is the item I want.

In these ambiguous situations I get a verbal or written confirmation that the product matches the supplied photo. Probably end up with the expense part from 123bearing. They will work directly with you over the phone.

At age 72 i only need to do this job once to have a lifetime guarantee. Box only has 60K miles on it to the best of my knowlege BUT one day it made some odd noises and the oil was full of aluminum powder. Bought a spare box with a broken shift spring from eBay. Fixrd it and put it in the bike and threw the original one in a corner for a couple of years. Finally have time on my hands. Found a couple of the rollers from the throwout bearing in the bottom of the box. Figured one (or more) of these found their way into the speedometer drive worm. Lost a bit of that worm and the area aluminum was chewed a fair amount. Surprisingly the speedometer never stopped working.

(PS: Looking for someone who has one of the worms around who doesn't hold it too dear.) Otherwise I have to buy the whole assembly for a premium price.
Thanks

If nobody near you has one I'm pretty sure I have a couple knocking about.

Pete

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »
Found a couple of the rollers from the throwout bearing in the bottom of the box. Figured one (or more) of these found their way into the speedometer drive worm. Lost a bit of that worm and the area aluminum was chewed a fair amount. Surprisingly the speedometer never stopped working.

Thanks
Send me a PM on Monday or Tuesday when I get home. Let me know how many teeth yours has. I have a couple of different ones laying around. I assume you mean the one that drives the cable, not the one inside.

Not sure how anything would get past the double row bearing to get in there though. Odd.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 10:51:18 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 06:25:20 AM »
<SNIP>
Why do the bearings have to be Loctited in to the case ? (unless I read that wrong somewhere)
I assume the manufacturer thought of Loctite as a cheap "guarantee". I also read about Loctite for transmission bearing installation. The last two 5 speeds I opened had Loctite on the bearing including the output that is retained by a plate with 3 bolts. There was enough Loctite applied that it blocked the lower bearing oil bypass slot.

Interesting aside. I just gutted a T3 dustributor to replace the two sealed bearings. These bearings were also installed with Loctite.

Guess it doesn't hurt to install a low expansion  (steel) bearing into a high expansion housing (aluminum) with the added security of an adhesive.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

pete roper

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 09:01:59 AM »
Do NOT install any of the gearbox bearings with Loctite of any sort! If you look at the cases you'll see the 3205 bearings are retained by locking plates and require no Loctite but more importantly the needle rollers have oil galleries in the outer races and cast into the case. If these are filled with Loctite the bearing will fail very quickly from lack of lubrication.

Pete

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 09:54:21 AM »
A transmission rebuild page from the Moto Guzzi factory service manual:

...just saying.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 09:59:46 AM »
I've also seen a torque spec of 20 foot lbs on an M6 bolt in the service manual.. sometimes common sense should prevail with Guzzi manuals. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

pete roper

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 10:50:28 AM »
A transmission rebuild page from the Moto Guzzi factory service manual:

...just saying.

Well don't say, think.

If the needle rollers in particular are loose in the case, (And they do have a tendency to walk.) then they can be centre punched into position. The 3205's, unless the bores they are going into are flogged out and I've only seen that twice in 40 years, will be retained more than adequately by the plates. Loctite the plate retaining screws by all means but not the bearings themselves.

One presumes that if one were to use a Loctite or similar product it would be a bearing mount. The whole purpose of this stuff is to fill up space! If it gets into the bearing races themselves or the oil feed galleries and solidifies, (Which is what it is supposed to do.) it will not only impede or block oil flow but also lock rolling elements causing damage to themselves and the races in which they run.

Loctite is NOT a good idea in this situation. It doesn't matter what the wretched book says.

Pete

Offline RoyRogers

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 11:07:40 AM »
Does this mean the bearing set from HMB containing two FAG 9 ball per side with flimsy plastic cage input/output bearings are better replaced ?

No need to replace those..they are OEM as of 1975 onwards.
Regards from Norway,  Roy
................... ................... ....
1972 850GT
1986 LM IV
1991 BMW K1 with Sidecar
1984 Citroen DSpecial

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 12:00:06 PM »

Uhh, yeah, they need to be replaced if you are there.. or especially if you are running synthetic lube in the transmission.
Uh oh.. here comes an oil thread.. :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

kidneb

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 01:51:59 PM »
Does this mean the bearing set from HMB containing two FAG 9 ball per side with flimsy plastic cage input/output bearings are better replaced ?

I wouldn't bother replacing those, see no reason for it. Michael Behrendt at HMB knows his onions and has only had good experience with these 2x9 ball bearings which are not the same as the old, prone to break, plastic cage ones -   http://hmb-guzzi.de/Caged-ball-bearing-input-output-shafts-5-speed-gearbox
HMB,- by the way,- does not like the metal cage ones - http://hmb-guzzi.de/Amazing-Finds
I have renovated a few 5 speed boxes and always used the pre `85 OEM 2x14 ball metal cage ones, but I would not hesitate on using the FAG ones from HMB if I were to.

No one ever spoke of using Loctite on the little needle cage bearings with the delicate oil galleries on the input shaft end and the mainshaft front, as far as I can see, not even the Guzzi manual.
I will, however, keep on using Loctite on the outer race of the roller bearing on the front of the layshaft(output) as the manual prescribes. I have, a couple of times, experienced that race coming loose, and you wouldn't want that.

pete roper

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 02:21:41 PM »

They are OEM on every five speed from about 1984. The earlier bikes all uses the 14 ball per race bearings and these had a much, much lower incidence of failure than the 9 ball per race bearings. In my career I've probably seen two cases of the early type failing but failures of the later type are legion!

I'm sure the main reason for the change was cost, not because of any physical or performance benefit. I'd never bother replacing an ATN9 with another one, it's just reinstalling a known weak point.

Pete

Offline RoyRogers

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 02:55:55 PM »
They are OEM on every five speed from about 1984..
Pete

I must have false info on that one, my speci could have meant 1984 :wink:.

Just gut my newly repair (72 850GT) transmission back, with a ninerbearing. It will survive me for sure.
Regards from Norway,  Roy
................... ................... ....
1972 850GT
1986 LM IV
1991 BMW K1 with Sidecar
1984 Citroen DSpecial

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 03:09:45 PM »
" Loctite is NOT a good idea in this situation. It doesn't matter what the wretched book says. - Pete "

NGC: You just brought back a memory - just after the turn of the century I was attempting to get a manufacturing outfit I was working with to consistently use thread locker on fasteners in ruggedized computer equipment, except for on cover hardware.

I laced the manufacturing floor with small, subtle signs with slogans such as:

" Girls go for guys who use loctite "
" Loose screws sink ships - use loctite "
" Loctite is your friend "
" Loctite - Learn it, live it, love it "
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:11:24 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

kidneb

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
But Pete,-weren`t the failures of the early 9 ball per race bearings solely due to the plastic (phenolic as you call them) cages breaking or dissolving or whatever, caused by synth oil or not ?
Isn't it appropriate in this discussion to recognise that the material of the new 9 ball per race bearings is of a very different and modern material ?
HMB calls them TVH-type,- I don't know what that means, but they sure are different from the old ones ? 

Ben

pete roper

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 03:33:05 PM »
No idea about the ones HMB sell. Why would I experiment when I can get ones I know are fine here?

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 02:10:11 AM »
No idea about the ones HMB sell. Why would I experiment when I can get ones I know are fine here?

Yeah, my grandads father said that about the bicycle, thought it wouldnt catch on, horse worked.

Might, possibly, be the everlasting bearing, not that I have a problem with any of em.
Problem appears after parking it seems, park at your peril, bearings like to spin, maybe these can sit still for longer ? Rewrite the rules,, things change, once they just span.

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 11:35:15 PM »

This is what 123bearing sent. Pretty much exact duplicates of the original even to the country of origin (Italy).
Took them a couple of weeks and they were almost $60 USD each. But this is probably the last pair I'll ever need.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 05:52:05 AM »
Problem appears after parking it seems, park at your peril, bearings like to spin,

I had a Chevy van that taught that to me..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 08:51:14 AM »

This is what 123bearing sent. Pretty much exact duplicates of the original even to the country of origin (Italy).
Took them a couple of weeks and they were almost $60 USD each. But this is probably the last pair I'll ever need.

:thumb:
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here