Author Topic: CEV switch repair?  (Read 4218 times)

Offline wicks

• Gosling
CEV switch repair?
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:23:57 PM »
Anyone know of a reference on repairing the CEV pill box light switch? Mine has finally become unwilling to give me high beam. Wonder if I can take it apart and fix something to make it happy again.
---
'77 LM1 / '93 1000s / '73 V7 Sport / '06 Ducati Paul Smart  / '73 Porsche 911s / '94 Porsche 964 Turbo / '94 Defender 90

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: CEV switch repair?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 09:12:45 AM »
Once you have the chrome cover off, you'll see how simple/crude these switches are. For high/low, the plastic rocker button just moves a cylindrical roller across some contacts. IIRC, there's a small pin that can be pulled and then the button and roller can be removed and everything cleaned. You might try spraying it with Caig DeoxIT first.
Charlie

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 09:24:48 AM »
Not sure which type is the pill box, but I opened the one on my G5 (plastic colored block looking ones), and I just want to mention this... there is a little ball in there that can jump out and get lost when you take it apart. Don't ask how I know - I'm still looking for mine 6-months later...  :lipsrsealed:
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 09:38:24 AM »
Not sure which type is the pill box, but I opened the one on my G5 (plastic colored block looking ones), and I just want to mention this... there is a little ball in there that can jump out and get lost when you take it apart. Don't ask how I know - I'm still looking for mine 6-months later...  :lipsrsealed:

CEV "pillbox" or "snuffbox" switch:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:09:01 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 09:38:24 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 10:47:49 AM »
You'd think something that simple would work forever if you have relays on the loads it is switching..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

canuck750

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 11:07:06 AM »
They work forever because Guzzi located them in such an awkward location that it is very difficult if not impossible to stretch your fingers from the grips to reach the damn things. I put them on my bikes to keep the original look (charm?) but I sure understand why most people threw them out and installed Japanese switchgear that works better and is simple to use.
If originality is not important I would put the original switch away for safe keeping and install a universal switch unit available from MG Cycle.

IF you are going to work with the original do not attempt to remove or replace any of the wires with heat / solder, electrical conductive epoxy is your friend. I have the remains of a nice NOS switch in my junk box, complete with melted plastic around the wire terminal lugs which has rendered it useless.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 11:25:45 AM »
You'd think something that simple would work forever if you have relays on the loads it is switching..

They will.

They work forever because Guzzi located them in such an awkward location that it is very difficult if not impossible to stretch your fingers from the grips to reach the damn things.

I find the reach to the headlight/horn switch to be virtually the same as any other switch, however the reach to the right-side signal switch requires a thumb 6" long. taking your hand off of the throttle or reaching across with your left hand. That's why I do a simple toggle switch located under the left-side perch.
Charlie

Offline wicks

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
Thanks, it was an easy fix - cleaned up contacts and flipped the high/low switch 180 degrees to get fresh plastic to grip the "tumbler". Little grease on the pin. Genius little junk design isn't it.

Hard to use but original is my flavor of choice. Keeping the mucked up original dome top screws in them also adds a bit of character. ;)
---
'77 LM1 / '93 1000s / '73 V7 Sport / '06 Ducati Paul Smart  / '73 Porsche 911s / '94 Porsche 964 Turbo / '94 Defender 90

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 03:31:38 PM »
I find the reach to the headlight/horn switch to be virtually the same as any other switch, however the reach to the right-side signal switch requires a thumb 6" long. taking your hand off of the throttle or reaching across with your left hand.

I can't remember how I did it, but I reversed the switches on my Ambo so that the turn signals are on the left. Works better for me that-a-way.

Rich A

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 12:34:19 AM »
I rebuilt my direction indicator switch with a couple of reed switches.
I don't ride at night so the headlight is just on low beam across the generator, no switch required.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:36:22 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here