Author Topic: oil sump glued shut  (Read 3719 times)

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
oil sump glued shut
« on: May 20, 2017, 11:58:12 AM »
2000 Jackal new to me last summer. Have not ridden it that much. Want to change oil and filter. Two probs:
  • carbon bits
  • Can't get the sump off

Here some pics of the carbon bits. First, on the drain plug:

Next, when I wipe them off the plug:

These nuggets are friable and black all thru. No metal filings. Close as I can surmise, the DPO musta used cheapo oil that coked up. This means to me I now must insist on replacing the filter and cleaning any screen that might be in there. Then I'll put in some high detergent stuff, run 500 to flush, replace, and repeat. Maybe some Seafoam or whatever. Maybe put in the good oil around the third change.

So it's essential I get the sump off.

Sump won't budge. Been whacking with my rubber mallet. Been prying at what looks like pry-me tabs molded into the sump, two on the starboard side and one on the port. No luck. Don't want to break something.

I figure someone here may have had a stuck sump. Whattaya do? It's just the socket head screws around the perimeter, right? Or have I missed a mystery fastener?

TIA
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: oil sump glued shut
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 12:06:20 PM »
I think you will find another pair of Allen screws that are under the pan and NOT on the perimeter. They ensure proper contact for some mid pan oil passages to the filter
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »
Do you have all 18 bolts out? 14 around the outside perimeter, 2 on the bottom of the pan rear right corner, 2 on the bottom of the pan front center.

I can't remember if the Jackal has the deep pan or shallow pan with spacer. If it has a spacer, you can wedge a prybar in between a "nub" that sticks out and the bellhousing.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:09:53 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 12:09:41 PM »
There are 2 long 10mm head on oil passageway in front and 2 in the back almost midway across. So, 4 more.

Scroll down to Cali 97-03  shop manual
http://guzzitek.org/gb/ma_us_uk/1100/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:14:27 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 12:09:41 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 12:11:10 PM »
The carbon doesn't worry me. Are you sure you have *all* the bolts out, including the four that are *not* around the periphery?
Don't pry..

Never mind.. 3 have beat me to it.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
I  have  14 out. I'll look for 4 more.
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 12:35:45 PM »
I  have  14 out. I'll look for 4 more.

Never hurts to read the instructions . Oh , they aren't Allen head , middle right front quadrant of the sump .

Dusty

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »
I think that those chunks are related to the crankcase vent system, using the frame. I think it is bits of rust that gather together. I see it often.
Yep, more bolts.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 04:55:40 PM »
Never hurts to read the instructions . Oh , they aren't Allen head , middle right front quadrant of the sump .

Dusty

Oh, I read instructions alright. Apparently, I just did not read THE instructions is all. What I read said allen head cap screws around the perimeter. With pictures.

So. What a day. I rode to the post office at eight, took the old lady to breakfast, then figured I'd get an oil change out of the way before the rest of my chores. Bullshit. The chore list is toast today. Five o'clock before I got done. Holy Hannah. I can swap oil in Biffy Bullfrog in 20 minutes. Five minutes of that twenty is surfing the garage TV remote looking for MMA, lighting a cigar. scratching the dog, and popping the top off a barley pop. Zero is wasted looking for THE instructions. I've owned bikes with maintenance quirks. My brick Ocelot took 25 minutes, cause there's a hatch in the bottom of the sump you remove to get at the filter. My Scout Sopowa you gotta remove the horn which hangs in the way of the oil filter. But this, this is no quirk. This is an effin disaster. Makes you want to buy a ticket to Italy just to kick some ass. No wonder people install a whole new sump pan. What was Guido thinking here? Much of my time was carefully scraping gasket off the sump, then laying on my back another hour and a half scraping gasket off the engine. Got a pretty good view of the crank, I can tell you that. Four razor blade job. In this much time I could pull an airhead apart and lube the infamous splines.

Good news: not much coke inside at all. Some washed out of the filter when I swapped that. Odd news: No coke whatever in the screen. You would think that would be the place those pebbles would get trapped. No notion what's up with why the screen didn't catch them before they hit the filter. Totally baffled why these coke bits wound up adhered to the drain plug. That makes no sense.

Ran thru four old T-shirts wiping oil and coke bits and gasket scrapings & what not. Do not attempt this oil change without a plenitude of rags. All goddam day, fer cryin out loud.

Now I gotta go shower to get the oil smell off me.

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »
At least now you know how to get the sump off!

It doesn't need to be done every oil change. I change my Castrol dino oil every 3k to 3.5k miles and filter every third time.

My Jackal I sold is well over 100k now and my Giada just passed 98k. This schedule seems to work for me.

It is fun looking up her skirt during filter changes though!!

If I change the pan gasket I just coat it with a light film of oil during installation. Might change the gasket every 8th or 9th filter change....

Ride safe and often...

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 05:10:57 PM »
 Trust me Jeff , WELL over 100,000 miles on the Black Jackal now  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
Well, now you know how to do it.  :smiley:
took the old lady to breakfast,
sniff.. well.. for the proper remittance, I *might* not tell her what you said. This could be big trouble brewing, not even remotely like changing the filter on a Guzzi..
Good news: not much coke inside at all.
I tole you..
Much of my time was carefully scraping gasket off the sump, then laying on my back another hour and a half scraping gasket off the engine. Got a pretty good view of the crank, I can tell you that. Four razor blade job. In this much time I could pull an airhead apart and lube the infamous splines.
Well... now you can do it right. Don't use any gasket goo. Just oil on one side. Gasket will last forever. Probably some Airhead guy did it the last time.  :evil:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 05:21:40 PM »
Now ride it for 3K miles.  Dump the oil and replace.  As said before change filter on the 3rd time.  You could probably go 4 times.  Don't forget the hose clamp.   :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »
Now ride it for 3K miles.  Dump the oil and replace.  As said before change filter on the 3rd time.  You could probably go 4 times.  Don't forget the hose clamp.   :grin:

HOSE CLAMP! WHAT HOSE CLAMP!

I spose that's some sort of Guzzi snipe hunt, innit?

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 05:39:47 PM »
Much discussion on a hose clamp around the oil filter.  Pros & Cons. :shocked: :shocked: It's in there stored in with tire, oil and seat threads.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 06:04:39 PM »
HOSE CLAMP! WHAT HOSE CLAMP!

I spose that's some sort of Guzzi snipe hunt, innit?

No, it's real. Goes around the filter--keeps it from unscrewing, and good insurance, I think. Do a search.

Rich A

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 06:07:17 PM »
^^^^^
It's there because of the stupid UFI manufacturing issues with gaskets.. IMHO. I quit using them a long time ago.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 08:08:34 PM »
Hate to ask.  Did you happen to use any sealant on the sump gasket?  I hope NOT.  If you coat the new gasket with quality grease, you can drop and re-install the sump without damaging the gasket.  However, ALWAYS  have a spare gasket on hand just in case it does get damaged.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 08:24:05 PM »
I have learned to have sump gaskets on hand, that way I never need them, same with valve cover gaskets.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 08:33:26 PM »

" Makes you want to buy a ticket to Italy just to kick some ass. "

Yeah, I know what you mean. I work in QA - in my fantasy I sit in on Guzzi factory design review meetings with a translator, and periodically bring the meeting to a halt with an appropriate question.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 09:58:48 PM »
  What was Guido thinking here? 
Put the filter where the dirty oil is..  actually it was Umberto and Giulio .

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 10:07:21 PM »
Put the filter where the dirty oil is..  actually it was Umberto and Giulio .

Don't think you can blame those guys. Most likely it was Lino Tonti.
Charlie

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 10:20:42 PM »
The last time I changed the filter I installed a hose clamp. I just dropped the sump to install Harper's outsider and I found the my filter was loose. If not for the clamp it might have let go completely.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 10:43:41 PM »
Don't think you can blame those guys. Most likely it was Lino Tonti.
Oh yeah I think your right, the old couple forgot to incorporate a filter at all..

Lino Tonti !

w/Mike Hailwood
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:47:48 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 01:55:39 AM »
Tonti designed the frame, Carcano designed the engine.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

pete roper

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 03:56:52 AM »
Filter in the sump was never an issue for me. I can't see why people get all out of shape over it! :violent1:

You want Stupid? Try looking at changing the oil filter on a Crapponord!

It was suggested on another board I frequent that perhaps there was a need for a 'Special Snowflake' icon. :grin:

Pete

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 04:05:26 AM »
I must be an insensitive bastard Webmost. Seems I'm not feeling the love here... :popcorn:

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 05:16:02 AM »
Who ever mentioned the swarf from the frame/breather will be spot on I reckon. I went through some drames becasue I panilced when finding metal in the sump!
If it stuck to the magnet, it's metallic.
As mentioned smear the gasket with oil, reuse. Hoseclamp on the sump and ride away  :thumb:

It is a pity Guzzi decided the Calis didn't need a sump like the V11 sport bikes etc, it IS a PITA taking the sump off so often.

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 05:23:20 AM »
 :popcorn:

Dawn rises...Chisels, hammers, and a sazall litter the garage floor..."took all night, but boy these Italian  bikes are hard to work on...I'll just use some Locktite to put it back on to keep the scar marks from leaking..."

:popcorn:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »
If it weren't for my Guzzi's I wouldn't appreciate my Honda maintenance (lack thereof) so much.  :boozing:
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here