Author Topic: Oh the irony  (Read 1194 times)

Offline jGuz

• New Egg
Oh the irony
« on: October 13, 2015, 09:42:30 AM »
So this past Thursday, I was riding along thinking to myself, "if I just had to go down to one bike, which one would it be?"  I concluded that the Norge was the one that ticked all the boxes.  It was comfortable, practical, handled well enough, looked great, sounded great, and was well made.

I stopped to get some groceries.  Then, as luck would have it...the Norge wouldn't start.  The battery terminals were really corroded, so I cleaned them off.  I checked the fuses...one of them was burnt out.  Got a buddy to come by and spot me a fuse.  Even with the new fuse, still nothing.  I tried to disconnect the battery, but I tore off the bolt head in the process.  So I went and replaced the battery.  The dash wouldn't even light up with the new one.  I heard a bunch of rapid clicking from what I think was the starter relay. The clicking rose in frequency until the dash lit up and the fuel pump engaged.  Then the clicking stopped.  I thumbed the starter and nothing happened.

So I resorted to the tried and true method of bump starting.  I got to a good enough speed and popped the clutch.  The engine turned over, but the dash lights shut off and the engine wouldn't start.  I tried this a couple of times to no avail.  So I sat in the parking lot for a few minutes before going home and getting her towed the next day.  I'm thinking it's an ECU or starter relay issue, but I'll charge the battery, too, just in case.  I'll be scouring the forums in the next few days.

I love the Norge.  But I guess it is still an Italian vehicle.

2019 Triumph Speed Twin
2015 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
2001 Ducati 748 (work in progress)

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
Re: Oh the irony
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 10:59:41 AM »
Italian bikes are often compared to Italian women, but the other side of the equation is that Italian bike owners have to treat their bikes with the respect and devotion that Italian mothers expect from their sons.  Maybe you initially went wrong by allowing the battery terminals to corrode.  Without the load of a solidly-connected battery, the charging circuit could generate enough over-voltage to pop fuses and maybe fry the ECU as well.  I suggest that you make up to momma and promise not to neglect her in the future.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Oh the irony
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 11:13:08 AM »
Clean the main ground behind the starter really well, put a little vaseline on it and the battery cables to stop future corrosion.
Probably that'll cure it.
In the future, take better care of your electrical system.. including doing the startus interuptus fix.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here