Author Topic: One of those days  (Read 12284 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: One of those days
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2016, 07:23:28 PM »
Bummer of an incident.

Here's to getting back on the horse.

And don't anyone "fixer it" for me... I know she's riding a Wolf-ette.

If you can't find adjustment/repair to address an excessive lash scenario, try the clutch.

1995 Moto Guzzi Spots are notoriously lash-tastic and I never gain throttle from an off throttle situation that I don't ease it on with the clutch. It sounds excessive but works well and with 30,000 on what is supposed to be an underwhelming clutch - it's apparently not abusive either.

Todd.
I do the same thing on any bike, when going from trailing to on throttle, I just "crack" the clutch very slightly to cushion the transition. I saw it on Go Pro and didn't realise I did it that much. 92,000 k on the Norge and clutch is just fine

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »
I think it's probably true to say that with enough touch and experience most of us could have ridden that bike through the same situation if the chain was dragging on the ground. The poor bugger just stuffed up on the day, and we'll all do something similar I our futures, (and probably have in our pasts!), I reckon the saddest bit is that Hardaspie is thinking that a different bike is the way to go. Fact is she probably couldn't have been on a better one. When something like that unseats you, you just have to understand that on that occasion there was not enough good luck to overcome the collective mistakes you made on the day. It'll probably never happen again 'cos she'll have learned a hell of a lot from it,but she'll never know if she walks away.

K250

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »
Laura if you have someone, or do it yourself even, look at that bike a little bit before you give up on it, maybe consider having them double check the throttle cable situation real close, maybe richen up the carb a little bit, double check for air leaks and what not.   Since they are going to be double checking that chain real good and oiling it anyway, might as well check the rest...  Good luck....

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2016, 01:32:22 AM »
  There is a dirty trick experienced chain drive riders use in tricky situations.
 I have coached women getting ready for their riding test for Washington state license.
 Much of the course is done at slow speed including a figure eight in a marked eight and a tight slalom.
  What I taught them to do was let their foot LIGHTLY apply the brake and hold it during the manuevre
 while going through the changes of direction in the test.  Smooth judicious use of the throttle while lightly dragging the brake keeps all the slack from the chain and eliminates any backlash from the transmission
gears.  Harley riders have used this trick for many years  when competing in slow races at gatherings and rallies.  It takes practice but is a valid way to improve your slow speed riding skills.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2016, 01:32:22 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2016, 06:00:34 AM »
^^^^^^^
Good stuff there, Jim.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2016, 07:22:47 AM »
The rear brake trick is an excellent tip-the added stability it gives is amazing.

Lcarlson

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2016, 09:04:51 AM »
Dragging the rear brake is the core of the "Ride Like a Pro" low speed skills course.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2016, 04:14:43 PM »
Sorry to hear of the drop Laura, a real bummer.

:1: on Jim's suggestion re the rear brake.

You are not on your own on embarrassing drops. I was actually stopped (in the rain) in a line of traffic; both feet on the ground on my 250 RS Honda when it slowly just slid out. I guess there was some oil where I was stopped.  The LH handlebar trapped my left leg and I was cast. The motor starts internally haemorrhaging and I am really  :embarrassed:. Finally managed to get it back up, with the only damage being my pride fortunately.

I really hope that you are not put off your riding. Heal up, check everything out and jump back on the horse. Don't be too put off about Wolfie. As you will be already aware from posts on this site, Guzzis are  not immune from having their little foibles. Most of us love them in spite of their idiosyncrasies.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2016, 04:21:16 PM »
She's already kicked it to the curb..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2016, 06:48:52 PM »
Then there was the time a fella simply fell off while his bike was on the side stand . He was leaning over to pick up a spark plug wrench that had been dropped and just fell off . We laughed  :laugh:

Dusty

Then there was that well known world famous (in his mind) rider that fell over in the grass on a Triumph Tiger at 3 1/2 mph.  LOL  We all have our get offs.  Until that get off in 2014, I hadn't had a get off since 1978.  Get back on and have fun!!!
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

oldbike54

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2016, 06:51:57 PM »
Then there was that well known world famous (in his mind) rider that fell over in the grass on a Triumph Tiger at 3 1/2 mph.  LOL  We all have our get offs.  Until that get off in 2014, I hadn't had a get off since 1978.  Get back on and have fun!!!

Yeah , if a video camera had been available Matt would be famous LOL .

Dusty

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2016, 06:53:44 PM »
And $10,000 richer from Americas Funniest Videos.  LOL
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

HardAspie

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2016, 07:06:52 PM »
What decided it for me was less the incident; walking speed bike dumps just happen, than the results. My rusty old bod is not good at absorbing damage. I injure easily and heal slowly. I recall a decision on my part, at roughly age 30, that my time with skateboards was past. About 19 years ago I had a neurological go acute and for several years I was partially paralyzed. I thought that bikes of all sorts were gone forever. But time left the paralysis behind. though without full recovery of strength. Six months ago I was bicycling 30 - 35 miles. I fired that bike too since mt fall.

Not fully certain what comes next. Firstly recovery both in health and finance then perhap a fast recumbent tadpole? Could even put a gasoline engine on. No more two wheelers though; they I have now categorized with skateboards. Life is change.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2016, 07:39:38 PM »
It breaks my heart to see you go from all excited about a new motorcycle to deciding to never ride again, in just a couple weeks.  I understand, and respect your decision, but it must be at least as heart breaking for you.  I hope you find a suitable replacement for motorcycles without too much trouble.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2016, 10:22:12 PM »
It breaks my heart to see you go from all excited about a new motorcycle to deciding to never ride again, in just a couple weeks.  I understand, and respect your decision, but it must be at least as heart breaking for you.  I hope you find a suitable replacement for motorcycles without too much trouble.

Very well said.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2016, 10:51:08 PM »
 Trade motorcycle riding for sex.  If you fall off it doesn't hurt as bad, beds are softer than pavement.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2016, 10:58:46 PM »
Going with your gut instinct is a wise decision. The times I've been encouraged by my friends to do otherwise have often met with regrettable results.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:31:49 AM by Air-Cooled »
1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, 2016 Moto Guzzi Stornello, 2023 Vespa Primavera

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2016, 05:58:59 AM »
perhap a fast recumbent tadpole?

I looked at/test rode those. Fun, but I couldn't get over the feeling that where *I* live, I'd get run over by a blue hair in a Buick.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

HardAspie

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2016, 07:01:23 PM »
As I gaze back to dissect the fall I come up with potential issues of three categories:

1. The bike.
It is very light; any change of condition will effect it more greatly than a heavier one
It is short: 49" wheelbase also imparts small stability
Just how effective is its cush hub? No idea
Narrow handlebars with subsequent reduced leverage
One cylinder, when it fires it is a hammer blow...and at walking speed its torque output is about the same as any MC at that speed

2. Adjustments
Chain was at or near max slack.This is not my style. I analyze each chain drive bike's final drive and have never run one as slack as mfg's minimum. Never pulled a countershaft, never had chain issues. My wrenches for rear axle arrived about a week after the incident
Cables: Both clutch and throttle had just been adjusted about 50 highway miles previous. It is possible the clutch was more engaged than I believed.
Mixture: I had just bought octane booster as it seemed to be pinking. Combine that with better than expected MPG; possible less than ideal throttle response.

3. Me
I am not so fast of response as thirty years ago. I am less strong.

But...the walking speed Laugh In fall over is there awaiting anyone on two wheels. The specifics are varied and many, but the basic is that a monotrack vehicle below balance speed is held  up by rider skill and good fortune. Mine ran out. And as I was there on the ground I pondered that such a fall has a good chance of breaking my age weakened hip. That would suck. Nothing is certain; everything is a roll of the dice. I think that I do not want to roll any sort of two wheel dice again. Too much to loose.

On to other  things.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2016, 08:15:24 PM »
Does sound like it is time to move on. There are other options to explore like those new four wheeled ATV's that you sit in. An old co-worker bought a used one and she has had a hoot with it.  :evil:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

HardAspie

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2016, 10:37:07 PM »
Yup, it's time to move on. Lesson learned.

kirby1923

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2016, 11:31:30 PM »
Yup, it's time to move on. Lesson learned.

I was going to say try airplanes as you seem to know a bit about that, or a sports car, there are inexpensive
choices out there. I have an old Healey that I have had forever when the single tract won't work.

Your enthusiasm will be the factor, without that your done.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2016, 05:56:28 AM »
I was going to say try airplanes as you seem to know a bit about that, or a sports car, there are inexpensive
choices out there. I have an old Healey that I have had forever when the single tract won't work.

Your enthusiasm will be the factor, without that your done.

We must be brothers from different mothers.  :cool: I had a new Healey 3000 in 63.. should have kept that one, but I was young and stupid. <shrug>

Enthusiasm.. absolutely. You get old without it.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here