Author Topic: Why do people persist with "Mine is better than yours!"  (Read 16339 times)

Offline bobdar

• Gosling
Re: Why do people persist with "Mine is better than yours!"
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 09:14:49 AM »
There is no substitute for pubic inches.
bob darcey
lakewood, colorado
'75 850T
'56 Matchless G80

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 09:17:43 AM »
Are people so insecure in their own skin that they have to revert to this behavior? I GUESS SO! Why???

A good part of it is an attempt to improve self-esteem by a people who lack it.  If a person buys a Chevy, and his friend buys a Ford, Chevy guy feels that his friend has told him he made the wrong decision.  If his friend instead buys a Chevy, Chevy guy feels that his friend has confirmed that he made the correct decision.  When Chevy guy puts a pro-Chevy sticker on his Chevy, he tells the world that Chevys are better, and that he made the correct decision.  (etc.)

When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 09:25:26 AM »
A good part of it is an attempt to improve self-esteem by a people who lack it.  If a person buys a Chevy, and his friend buys a Ford, Chevy guy feels that his friend has told him he made the wrong decision.  If his friend instead buys a Chevy, Chevy guy feels that his friend has confirmed that he made the correct decision.  When Chevy guy puts a pro-Chevy sticker on his Chevy, he tells the world that Chevys are better, and that he made the correct decision.  (etc.)

But (like being a Yankees supporter) can't all this be in good fun?    Lord have mercy, when we were teen-agers and buying our first bikes, EVERYONE in town was buying CB-series Hondas, and I bought a Yamaha.    We used to give each other a hard time about it, but it was all good-natured, and 45 years later, the Honda boys STILL call me "Yamaha" when we run into each other.

If I have a Moto Guzzi patch on the back of my jacket, say that I hope the Red Sox win the pennant, or give my buddy with the Titan guff about his "mosquito fogger", does that all have to be some Freudian stuff about superiority, tribal drum-pounding, and compensation for penis length?   

I'm going to go look up "projection" now, just in case ....  :boxing:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 09:47:47 AM »
But (like being a Yankees supporter) can't all this be in good fun?

Sure it can be in good fun, but people with high self-esteem don't find it as fun as other people.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 09:47:47 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »
Sure it can be in good fun, but people with high self-esteem don't find it as fun as other people.

Pretty wide brush you're using there, Jim..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Bill Hagan

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2017, 10:05:45 AM »
There is no substitute for pubic inches.

THAT is really funny.  Kathi, however, laughed a little bit too much when I read it to her.   :shocked:

OK.  I understand that.  But, as I am about to reveal if already not earlier confirmed in my previous posts here, what I know about psychology and related disciplines would fit in a very small tank bag. 

As I guy who can be as tribal as the next guy -- tho I do worry that my tribes can be a bit small and somewhat strange -- I wonder if "high self esteem" (even the true, not mere facades masking feelings of inferiority)  cannot often be evidence of arrogance more than or as least much as appropriate confidence?

While not all tribe members are affable, I'd rather hoist a glass and wile away time with most of those than with smug members of a self-esteem elite.

Yes, I must pack for Atlanta and this has been a wonderful excuse to avoid work, but I have just been busted by  :thewife:.

:grin:

Bill

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2017, 10:21:47 AM »
Pretty wide brush you're using there, Jim..

Yes it is, but nothing is black and white, it's all grey area, and everyone is somewhere in the grey. 

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2017, 12:13:59 PM »
Back in the late 70's, we had a Honda dealer about a half mile up the street from a Yamaha dealer. The Honda dealer put the official company slogan on their marque, " Honda, Follow The Leader".
So the owner of the yamaha dealer put up his own sign...." Don't follow anyone".
Yes,it was friendly competition. These guys are now partners in one large multibrand store.

But (like being a Yankees supporter) can't all this be in good fun?    Lord have mercy, when we were teen-agers and buying our first bikes, EVERYONE in town was buying CB-series Hondas, and I bought a Yamaha.    We used to give each other a hard time about it, but it was all good-natured, and 45 years later, the Honda boys STILL call me "Yamaha" when we run into
Lannis
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2017, 12:18:51 PM »
I was at the store one day in my Dakota and parked next to a jacked up Ford with a sticker reading, "real trucks dont have spark plugs".
The owner comes out and says to me,"cute little truck" to which I replied,"I bet all the Pete drives say that to you. Besides real trucks have 18 wheels".
He quietly turned and loaded his groceries.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »
I think it has got to do with how one made the decision.

I bought my car by elimination, so I tend to think it is a better car than the other models in the comparison list.

I bought my Guzzi by heart, they are not the best bikes out there but I love them. It doesn't matter if one says his bike is better than mine, I won't get into the argument.

Hi Phang!  How are you, greetings from Vortex-Land, and what's new in Singapore?  Are you riding these days?  :thumb: :cool: :1:  I hope I can visit with you again in the near future! :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Penderic

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 12:17:33 AM »

Being recognized as the best in any contest is common. Some don't care. Some obsess about it.

I know a very competitive car racer. He told me once, "If there is not any chance of winning, why bother?"

:huh:

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 12:44:12 AM »
Maybe this should be "I like mine better than I would like yours", so our preference doesn't sound so harsh.  :blank:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:45:22 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 01:41:25 AM »
IMO its a sub set of
  • whats the fastest colour
  • whats the slipperiest oil
  • what are the stickiest tyres
  • etc. etc. etc.

the answer to all of the above being "whatever I've got"  :thumb:

PS Black is the fastest colour  :wink:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2017, 02:40:38 AM »
Hi Phang!  How are you, greetings from Vortex-Land, and what's new in Singapore?  Are you riding these days?  :thumb: :cool: :1:  I hope I can visit with you again in the near future! :smiley:

Hi JJ, motorcycles are getting more expensive here as the policy maker introduced a new tiered tax system to the new motorcycles recently. I'll cling on to my old italian steel.

old tax structure was 15% of the CIF (cost, freight, insurance) price, and of course other taxes too.

new tiered tax structure, CIF in US dollar

first $3,600 of the CIF - 15%
next $3,600 of the CIF - 50%
remaining CIF above  $7,200 - 100%

i.e. a CIF $10,000 bike will attracts $540+$1,800+$2,800=$5,140

with other taxes and dealers' profit, out the door price will be around $22k to $23k
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2017, 07:34:12 AM »
This topic prompted my use of the George Patton quote on my signature line. Diverse opinions are gold for a society that wishes to continue to grow. The key is figuring out how to get folks to truly listen to each other.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2017, 08:34:03 AM »
Because people evolved with a competitive nature, eat or be eaten. In our modern society there is less danger of being eaten and food seems to be relatively plentiful so we have to find other ways of releasing our competitive nature. Or just wait a number of years till you have low T and then you will be over that childishness.   :evil:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »
45 years later, the Honda boys STILL call me "Yamaha" when we run into each other

says Lannis.

I can't possibly get into a "mine's better than yours" argument.  I buy as many parts, lube, etc. as I can from the local auto parts store (the only one for 25 miles).  A friend of mine worked there on Saturdays, which is when I had time to visit the store.

He calls my EV a Yamagucci.  All I can do is hang my head and walk away :wink:
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »
It is an ego problem which is a large part of the worlds problems. Zen Buddhism should be exposed to all children sometime in school.

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2017, 09:47:25 AM »
Back in the late 70's, we had a Honda dealer about a half mile up the street from a Yamaha dealer. The Honda dealer put the official company slogan on their marque, " Honda, Follow The Leader".

That, of course, was an Ariel Leader.
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
Maybe this should be "I like mine better than I would like yours", so our preference doesn't sound so harsh.  :blank:

Yes!  I think that the sin that's being called out here is not "Having a Preference" but "Expressing a Preference".

If I prefer a Moto Guzzi to a Harley Davidson, or red to blue, or Virginia Tech to Virginia ... how can I express that preference with hurting someone's tender sensibilities?   

If I say "I like Moto Guzzis better than Harley Davidsons" I am, by implication, denigrating HD, I'm "putting them down", I'm "hating on them", because I like another brand better than them.   Because if I like MG better, and say WHY I like MG better where other people can read it, then I have to either explicitly or implicitly say why HD is "worse".

And then the hand-wringing starts.   "Why can't we all just live together?"   "Why do we have to put down our brothers in the wind"?  "Why do we have to hate on others just because they're different?"  :rolleyes:

In other words, why can't we ALWAYS just sing Kum Bah Yah and NEVER express anything that someone might take in the wrong way?   After 20,000 posts on WG, very many of which are "positive" or "way to go" or "I like that", I find that I almost NEVER get any follow-up posts to any positive comments, but almost ANYTHING that might look like a "negative" comment or a criticism of someone gets a "grumpy" or "snotty" or "hate" or some other tag.  :sad:

Well, sorry, snowflakes.   It's happened so often that I'm immune now.   I recognize what's happening, I'll continue with normal discourse using my real name so I can account face to face for anything I say, and someone else can lead Verse 2 of "Michael Row the Boat Ashore" or whatever ...  :thumb:    And I continue to find that almost EVERYONE that I meet at an actual Guzzi rally is a pleasure to meet and talk to!   :bow:

Lannis

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »
Every thing others have is better than mine because I am Guzzi Cheap. 

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2017, 10:24:37 AM »
All the psychobabble aside, it's just fun to push people's buttons. After all these years, we can often predict who will feel forced to offer a rebuttal.  It's almost like saying "Good morning, Kev! BTW, Harley's SUCK!" :laugh:  :laugh: Then he says good morning back by saying, "According to these newest statistic, you are FULL of it!"   :evil:  :thumb: No harm, no foul, until someone starts thinking you MEAN what you say. In winter, that happens way too much. That is why we have moderators.  :bow:  Part of the charm of this forum is that they let you hang out here even if you quit drinking the Guzzi cool aide, lol. Not that there's anything WRONG with archaic, fluid flinging, unpronounceable, vulgar latin styled ball bearing jackarses..... :kiss:  :wink: :popcorn:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
All the psychobabble aside, it's just fun to push people's buttons. After all these years, we can often predict who will feel forced to offer a rebuttal.  It's almost like saying "Good morning, Kev! BTW, Harley's SUCK!" :laugh:  :laugh: Then he says good morning back by saying, "According to these newest statistic, you are FULL of it!"   :evil:  :thumb: No harm, no foul, until someone starts thinking you MEAN what you say. In winter, that happens way too much. That is why we have moderators.  :bow:  Part of the charm of this forum is that they let you hang out here even if you quit drinking the Guzzi cool aide, lol. Not that there's anything WRONG with archaic, fluid flinging, unpronounceable, vulgar latin styled ball bearing jackarses..... :kiss:  :wink: :popcorn:

Lot of truth to that too ...

"Harleys Suck", so Kev says ...
"Dielectric Grease", so Wayne says ...
"Winchester Motorsports", so Dean says ....
"Rich People", so Lannis says ....
"Jap four-cylinders", so Tom says ...
"Indian Summer", so Dusty says ....

Maybe the problem is that we know each other's game too well now ....

Penderic

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2017, 03:47:04 AM »
Oh Oh. Now you done it!

:boxing:

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »
I was born into a Ford family in Gladesville, Sydney Australia. But I have grown up and can appreciate other cars.  :popcorn:
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2017, 02:39:29 PM »
This discussion is all well and good. However, it does tend to avoid some well proven scientific truth:

1)  The Red Sox and the NE Patriots ("da Sox an da Pats") confer recognition and respect to their fans as we bask in the light of their eternal glory.

2)  The Beatles had a more widespread musical influence on modern pop music than the Rolling Stones

3)  My R1200R is mo betterer than Willow's 1200S
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2017, 09:37:26 PM »
Well....I am right, so you must be wrong....  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »
Hmmmm...If the R1200R had more character.... maybe!?!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2017, 10:44:34 PM »
Hmmmm...If the R1200R had more character.... maybe!?!

Did...I...hear the sound of a gauntlet hitting the floor?

My bike actually came with an Akrapovic can on it. Sounds fabulous. I was out today with a friend who has the stock muffler- sounds like- a sewing machine.   My bike is a 14, so it has the DOHC ("camhead") motor. Really quite nice. 8500 redline.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »
"My stuff is stuff. Your stuff is shit." - George Carlin
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here