Author Topic: What's with the bull whip?  (Read 9613 times)

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Re: What's with the bull whip?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2017, 10:54:58 AM »
  The secret is that the get back whip identifies the person as the bottom of an S&M duo.

What the hell... How do you know that anyhow?

Musta seen it in a movie once, eh? Or, is there a much more colorful aspect to you we're not knowing about? :evil:

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »
What the hell... How do you know that anyhow?

Musta seen it in a movie once, eh? Or, is there a much more colorful aspect to you we're not knowing about? :evil:

Todd.

Jim was a Coastie.  'Nuff said.

He's been around so long that when he was a mere striker, they still had flogging as punishment.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:21:03 AM by cloudbase »

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 11:42:59 AM »

He's been around so long that when he was a mere striker, they still had flogging as punishment.

Sure, it's punishment unless a fella gets to liking it!

A sea-faring life, exotic locale retirement, grass skirted gals... There's no telling where a fella ends up from there but it's a sure bet that it'll be interesting.

Todd.
Todd
72 "Crud"dorado
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 01:07:55 PM »
Yesterday I attended a rodeo parade in a nearby town.

A "biker" couple settled into a spot not far from me, on the sidewalk.

The gal had her keys clipped to a belt loop. 

On her key chain was a FULL SIZE retractable box cutter...

WTF !?!?!?  LOL !!!

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 01:07:55 PM »

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »
Yesterday I attended a rodeo parade in a nearby town.

A "biker" couple settled into a spot not far from me, on the sidewalk.

The gal had her keys clipped to a belt loop. 

On her key chain was a FULL SIZE retractable box cutter...

WTF !?!?!?  LOL !!!

Amateur "poser" unless she had a dime between two blades! :evil:

Todd.
Todd
72 "Crud"dorado

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »
Sure, it's punishment unless a fella gets to liking it!

A sea-faring life, exotic locale retirement, grass skirted gals... There's no telling where a fella ends up from there but it's a sure bet that it'll be interesting.

Todd.

Sea story time:

Back (way back) in the days when I was a junior engineering officer on merchant ships, we pulled into Brooklyn on an American Export Lines ship.  This was back in the days when every ship had a contingent of "characters."  Read into that what you will.

One of the guys thought it might be interesting to find an S&M club in New York, so off he went for the evening. 

Next morning:  Did you find what you were looking for?

Yep.

How was it?

I dunno.  But it wasn't bad!

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2017, 01:28:32 PM »

Probably saw this during the late show at Diamond Lil's.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2017, 01:39:36 PM »
  The secret is that the get back whip identifies the person as the bottom of an S&M duo.

not to put too fine a point on it but the term is actually S-M (sado-masochism) and not S&M (sado and masochism.)  make that mistake again and you will have to be punished.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2017, 02:48:34 PM »
  Hey Black cat,  Is that to say that you have been to Diamond Lil's ?
 I didn't know that anyone on this site had been there.  Diamond Lil's was one of the high lights of a lower Manhattan
 romp.   All coasties that have taken that romp know that.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »
  Hey Black cat,  Is that to say that you have been to Diamond Lil's ?
 I didn't know that anyone on this site had been there.  Diamond Lil's was one of the high lights of a lower Manhattan
 romp.   All coasties that have taken that romp know that.

Yeah, that was one crazy place. Long gone now, as are most of those places in the city. There really needs to be a plaque on the outside of the McDonald's that currently resides in that location. Though it might effect some appetites if they really knew what use to happen in that place.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline guzzinka

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »
This "whip" fascinates me, never ever seen one (although I'm sure it would be extremely frowned on by the law in the Chicago area).  Had to google it.  Is this a west coast thing?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »
I'm with Tom above and set it aside as originally being ornamental as in saddlery like how often these whippy things are accompanied by stitched-on grip covers and leather fuel tank accents.

It's just the over-all, deliberately arrived at, perception of badd-assery put out by so many HD owners that we are led to by the nose to view most of their (HD owners) affectations with contempt and mockery.

Todd.

Every get-back whip I've seen has been accompanied by a trying-to-look-tough badass with a "what do YOU want damn you?" look on his face.   Why would any normally adjusted human being display such a thing?    They're no good for self-defense ... it's just a "Look Out, I'm Bad, I might hurt you, be scared of me" thing ....

I see 'em all over the east coast ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2017, 03:17:32 PM »
Every get-back whip I've seen has been accompanied by a trying-to-look-tough badass with a "what do YOU want damn you?" look on his face.   Why would any normally adjusted human being display such a thing?    They're no good for self-defense ... it's just a "Look Out, I'm Bad, I might hurt you, be scared of me" thing ....

I see 'em all over the east coast ...

Lannis

Having seen plenty on the bikes of portly accountants, pasty skinned lawyers and other HD riders, I'd say your mileage may vary.

Todd.
Todd
72 "Crud"dorado

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 03:22:47 PM »
Nope - don't get it

Maybe they are influenced by Basil as a means of fixing recalcitrant motorcycles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl3mfaWCnWw
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2017, 03:23:32 PM »
Seen out here too with the "bad boys" crowd.  Scruffy looking.  Tat's, big baseball cap cover the ears, shorts, sneakers, vest w/tee.    :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2017, 03:56:25 PM »
i lived in venice beach, ca a long time ago.  there is/was a harley dealership in marina del rey (neighboring town.) one sunday morning i was bicycling by the harley place and i saw that there were dozens of bikes assembled and folks were getting ready for a ride. at least half of the crowd was your generic scruffy harley rider crew and the other half was a mixture. i stopped to chat up some of them and found that the folks that stood out were the 2 couples (they didn't know each other) who were on fully dressed bikes with fringe on their jackets and on the bikes.  there were fringes on the bags and handlebars and one of the couples had matching fringed jackets. he was an orthodontist. the other couple's distaff side sported a bright pink, fringed, leather jacket, his was fringed and black.  i spent a couple of years making fun of them in conversation.  it took me a while to realize that they had as good a time on that ride as any of the others less gaudily attired.  as i get older i get less judgmental, although the old temptations are still there. i think it was that sage philosopher ru paul who said: "we are all born naked and everything after that is drag."
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2017, 04:13:47 PM »
i lived in venice beach, ca a long time ago.  there is/was a harley dealership in marina del rey (neighboring town.) one sunday morning i was bicycling by the harley place and i saw that there were dozens of bikes assembled and folks were getting ready for a ride. at least half of the crowd was your generic scruffy harley rider crew and the other half was a mixture. i stopped to chat up some of them and found that the folks that stood out were the 2 couples (they didn't know each other) who were on fully dressed bikes with fringe on their jackets and on the bikes.  there were fringes on the bags and handlebars and one of the couples had matching fringed jackets. he was an orthodontist. the other couple's distaff side sported a bright pink, fringed, leather jacket, his was fringed and black.  i spent a couple of years making fun of them in conversation.  it took me a while to realize that they had as good a time on that ride as any of the others less gaudily attired.  as i get older i get less judgmental, although the old temptations are still there. i think it was that sage philosopher ru paul who said: "we are all born naked and everything after that is drag."
[emoji106]
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2017, 04:28:29 PM »
I'm going to go out and look for 2 dead black snakes that were hit by cars  to hang from my DR650 handle bars. That'll be super bada$$.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline guzzinka

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »
Motorcycle whips, s&m and sagely wisdom from Rupaul - whoever says steel cut oats and Guzzis are dull is a fool!  :boozing:

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2017, 05:41:09 PM »
Having seen plenty on the bikes of portly accountants, pasty skinned lawyers and other HD riders, I'd say your mileage may vary.

Todd.

No, I think we're seeing the same thing ... The Portly Accountants and Pasty-Skinned Lawyers ARE the "trying to look tough" badasses, and the whip is part of the shtick ....

Lannis

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2017, 05:49:42 PM »
I guess I'm one of those types who needs a direct answer:

Is this supposed to be a weapon?

WTF does "get back mean"?

Does this mean it's some sort of way to whip (get back) at passing motorists?

...it just seems like a really stupid attempt at a weapon.

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »
  Why hang dead snakes from your handlebars?  Hang live ones, that will get people back.
 Especially if the are rattlers.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2017, 10:11:28 AM »
Quote from:  link=topic=90875.msg1435105#msg1435105 date=1498421090
This "whip" fascinates me, never ever seen one (although I'm sure it would be extremely frowned on by the law in the Chicago area).  Had to google it.  Is this a west coast thing?

Really?  I live in the Chicago area as well, and while they certainly aren't ubiquitous with every HD, I have seen many here.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2017, 10:46:41 AM »
I guess I'm one of those types who needs a direct answer:

Is this supposed to be a weapon?

WTF does "get back mean"?

Does this mean it's some sort of way to whip (get back) at passing motorists?

...it just seems like a really stupid attempt at a weapon.

Looks like a very ineffective weapon.   I think it's mostly symbolic, and to mean

"I'm a BAAAD Sons of Anarchy Hell's Angel Satan's Slave muvvaf***a; don't you watch TV and know how BAAAD I am?   Don't f*** with me, stay out of my way, I'm in control, I'll hurt anyone that doesn't get out of my way and that means you ..."

Very small self-esteem, very high ego, very good imagination.   There really are people that have to feel like that in order to live with themselves.   It's just a shame that so many of them use motorcycles, and one brand of motorcycle in particular that cultivates that image, to strut their imagination around such that other people tar you and me with the same brush ....

Speaking of which, I got a letter back from Mark Tuttle at "RIDER" magazine when I questioned him as to why they were testing "Menacing-looking" motorcycles ... he talked about the "motorcycles" looking menacing and not the riders; I was at least happy that he responded .... reckon I'll stay a subscriber ...

Lannis

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »
My kid brother had plastic tassels on the handlebars of his banana-seat pedal bike back around 1955.

LOL! This is what I was thinking! And how about the big silver metal flake in the seat vinyl?  :boozing:
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline vwkafer

• New Egg
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2017, 11:06:20 AM »
Yeah, a neighbor of mine has one on his road king, flh, fat dog or whatever the hell it's called. When he's completed his honey do list, on Sunday afternoons, he and his posse, go play son's of anarchy and terrorize the soccer moms at the local starbucks.

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »
Back in the day (mid 70') I asked a old time biker about the tassels and he told me that the speedometer crapped out on his bike and he used it to judge his speed, if they were straight back he new he was booking :copcar: I dunno, shrug.
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2017, 11:27:24 AM »
Back in the day (mid 70') I asked a old time biker about the tassels and he told me that the speedometer crapped out on his bike and he used it to judge his speed, if they were straight back he new he was booking :copcar: I dunno, shrug.

Yep, going 30 MPH into a 30 MPH wind, he was FLYING down the four-lane highway all right all right .... !

Lannis

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2017, 01:04:42 PM »
Tassels are not get back whips.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »

4 Speed trans., solid engine mount to the frame.  80" Shovel engine.  You don't need tassles to tell the speed.  Get it up to 60 mph.  You can barely see because the whole bike is shaking and raising the r's don't help.  :grin:  I still have that bike.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here