Author Topic: "Stop and smell the roses" touring tips for a beginner.  (Read 11987 times)

Online Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
"Stop and smell the roses" touring tips for a beginner.
« on: August 30, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
I'm a big fan of Daniel Kalal's posts.  Mostly because he takes the time to explore the area he is traveling thru.  Not just getting somewhere as fast as he can.  (A bad habit of mine.)

I'm doing a fly and ride next week.  Picking up a bike in Chicago and riding it to my home in Arizona.  I've blocked out a week to do it rather than my usual 3-4 days.  I want to take my time and explore the countryside I'm riding thru.

I could use some pointers from those of you who prefer the "stop and smell the roses" approach to touring.  For instance

1. How many miles a day do you plan for?
2. How do you decide where to stop?
3. How do you select your roads, restaurants and motels?

Just some general thoughts on enjoying the ride.  Not just getting to the destination asap.

Mike
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

oldbike54

Re: "Stop and smell the roses" touring tips for a beginner.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
 About 330 miles a day , depending on what time you start in the morning . That will give you time to explore local environs .

The over riding thing to keep in mind ,*Ride in a place , not through it* .

Stay on back roads , watch for the unusual , stay away from any city that is highlighted in yellow on a map .

Eat where the locals eat , ask , they will tell you where the good places are. Stay away from chain eateries .

Visit a couple of small town museums .

Dusty

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »
1. Ideally 3 - 4 legs each about 90 min., depending on fuelling and interesting stuff on the way.
2. Plan ahead, or on the spur, depending on the trip. Do I have a destination, or am I just riding?
3. Roads: Plan ahead for scenic roads and interesting stuff.
Restaurants: In Belgium and France, this is a serious matter. Pick the place in the village that the locals go to.
Hotel: On longer trips i usually find places in villages or small towns, and choose from instinct. If I want to stay a particular place I will call ahead.

Will add that I, too, thoroughly enjoy and admire Daniel's reports from his travels. I'm just can't understand how he's able to take all those interesting photos!

Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 06:35:21 PM »
If you play your cards right you could see the worlds biggest ball of twine out in Kansas. Don't get no better than that! Remember, If there are no pictures, it never happend! Have fun and be safe!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 06:35:21 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 07:05:12 PM »
I'm a big fan of Daniel Kalal's posts.  Mostly because he takes the time to explore the area he is traveling thru.  Not just getting somewhere as fast as he can.  (A bad habit of mine.)

I'm doing a fly and ride next week.  Picking up a bike in Chicago and riding it to my home in Arizona.  I've blocked out a week to do it rather than my usual 3-4 days.  I want to take my time and explore the countryside I'm riding thru.

I could use some pointers from those of you who prefer the "stop and smell the roses" approach to touring.  For instance

Just some general thoughts on enjoying the ride.  Not just getting to the destination asap.

Mike

So that's about 250 miles a day if you take a week.   

You can take some fairly twisty roads, and a few detours and make that OK.   Staying off the Interstates is always a goal of mine.

Like everyone else, I try to stay out of chain restaurants.   Sometimes breakfast places other than Huddle Houses or Waffle Houses can be a bit hard to find, but otherwise there are lots of decent little places.

You'll only need gas once a day or so, so that won't be a limitation.   I admire people who camp on a long trip ... but it takes me too long to set up camp in the evening, and break down a wet (dew or rain) tent in the morning, and set the wet tent back up (maybe in the rain) .... so I'd spend 2 or 3 hours fightings things into stuff sacks instead of riding.   But it's money when you do motels ....

Have fun!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 07:12:10 PM »
    I've got a shepherd, so I don't do the overnight rides,,, but I do a lot, of long day tours 200-350 miles in the Upper Ottawa Valley. I've learned of the routes, businesses and highlights mainly from the Ride The Highlands website,,,, there is probably a promotion group or local tour guide available on line that you could access for the area you will be travelling through.

I'm always looking for a place with a washroom, coffee and a culinary treat. If you search out small town gas stations, general stores, post offices etc you can find some real treasures.

ie The small General Store with a post office in McDonalds corners, usually has fresh baked butter tarts & carrott cake with cream cheese icing made by an old lady that lives up the road,,, some of those sweets with a coffee are to die for,lol.

The gas station/post office/ diner in Hopetown will do breakfast any time of day,,, or whatever else you want fresh on the  the grill in front of you,,, the comical teasing banter that is always taking place inside amongst the locals,,, is the best free entertainment I've ever heard,lol.

I found Charlie D's biker friendly poutine truck way up in Barrys Bay makes for a great oasis in the middle of literally hundreds of miles of twisty pavement.

A regular stop on my way home is the neat Cafe in Burnstown, I try to time it so I stop by when they have a nice live music act on the patio,,, nice mellow tunes, coffee and cigarette at the end of a glorious day of riding,,, it doesn't get much better.

I could go on,,, but I'm sure you get the drift,,,,,, you're right,,, now is the time to lay out a good game plan, check reviews, recommendations and also,,, places to avoid, fwiw ymmv

good luck with your trip

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 07:22:09 PM »
300-350 miles per day makes for a pleasant trip.  Note, I have done 1,000 mile days before and they are not fun...just necessary to cover the miles needed in the time allowed.  On a perfect trip I'll find an older motel/hotel in the middle of town.  These are frequently near a bar/restaurant and many are now owned by members of the Patel family.  That's just fine for me.  I want to be able to get off the bike, grab something to eat/drink, and maybe walk around the town.  Talk to some of the locals.  They frequently have some neat suggestions for places to see in the area.  Plan to ride at least an hour before breakfast.  Then stop in a cafe to meet the folks who gather for coffee in the morning.  Take pictures of the people you meet so you don't forget all the neat stuff that happens on the trip.  Most of all, just smell the roses.  Sounds like the making of a neat trip.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 07:36:41 PM »
 Let's see , Chicago to Arizona . Give us an idea of your route , lunch or dinner meetups are always fun .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »
300-350 miles per day makes for a pleasant trip.  Note, I have done 1,000 mile days before and they are not fun...just necessary to cover the miles needed in the time allowed. .....
Peter Y.

Sounds like my numbers (well, 800 not 1000) ...

but the great thing is, since I've retired, I'M the one who does the "allowing" of "time".

And I don't allow no schedules that make me ride 1000 or even 800 miles in a day.   500 if I'm just trying to get on home because I've had enough of the road, but not more.   All riding and no breaks makes Lannis a dull, poorly-reacting boy ...

Lannis

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 07:50:39 PM »
As been stated 300-400 max a day to do it in any kind of leisurily fashion. Much less in slow terrain. Agree, eye the restaurant parking lots, that can tell you a lot. Convinance store & liquor store clerks ( or people in line over hear you and help out) can be a great help. As much as possible I use Mom & Pop Motels with the direct entrance to your room doors.
Get into the Willian Heath-Moon mode if you can afford the time. If you are not familiar with him Google or Wiki him.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 07:52:56 PM »
Lots of good advice and many fine ideas so far.

Herewith, my 2�:  National Parks.

Plan your route to hit one National Park or Monument per day.  when you get there, spend some time talking to the park rangers and docents.  There are a LOT of very interesting stories out there.

The twisties can easily start to all look alike.  Not so with the people and places of the NPS.

Best,

Carlo
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »
As been stated 300-400 max a day to do it in any kind of leisurily fashion. Much less in slow terrain. Agree, eye the restaurant parking lots, that can tell you a lot. Convinance store & liquor store clerks ( or people in line over hear you and help out) can be a great help. As much as possible I use Mom & Pop Motels with the direct entrance to your room doors.
Get into the Willian Heath-Moon mode if you can afford the time. If you are not familiar with him Google or Wiki him.
GliderJohn

That would be William Least Heat Moon . Sorry John  :grin: Good advice though .

Dusty

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »
Quote from Dusty:

Dusty
You are quite right, thanks for the correction. He doesn't ride but he knows how to absorb the country he travels through.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 11:27:36 PM »
I don't have much to add on how many miles in a day or where to eat. But...

This site has roadside attractions that might be of interest. Mainly odd stuff. Might have some fun stops on your trip? http://www.roadsideamerica.com

Have fun, take your time and enjoy!!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 06:49:06 AM »
Speaking of odd stuff, if in Kansas check this out:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2103
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 07:34:23 AM »
instinct and a bad compass will get you anywhere you don't want to go...ever used a Tates compass?

He who has a Tates is lost..... :whip2:

try reading maps for rivers and mountain ranges...watersheds, CCC camps, locks and canals, river ferry crossings, the blank spots inbetween, bicycle route suggestions (see state resources for bicycle touring) can be incredible out of the way off the beaten path way to get around some big cities, random wandering with a vague sense of going toward your eventual destination...your not lost, just haven't picked your way home yet

it takes total committement to not pick a route.

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 08:17:14 AM »
Now this is really getting fun!  So many great ideas.

First of all, since it is a Guzzi, here's a link to the bike I'm riding home.

http://www.motoworkschicago.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=3756695&p=1&make=moto%20guzzi&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

>www.roadsideamerica .com

A real treasure trove of great places to visit.  I gotta hit one or two.

>Let's see , Chicago to Arizona . Give us an idea of your route , lunch or dinner meetups are always fun .

Another great idea.  As I put the route together I'll post up here.  I do know the first night will
likely be in Hannibal. Mo.  and the Mark Twain Museum.  Night 2 and 3 will be at my sisters house in Topeka, Ks.
and family things.  After that I'll turn that big 1200 loose and head west.

Mike
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Lcarlson

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »

Dusty

The book is "Blue Highways".

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 08:22:15 AM »
This site or app will help you find off the beaten path sights to see:

https://roadtrippers.com/

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 08:27:06 AM »

http://www.motoworkschicago.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=3756695&p=1&make=moto%20guzzi&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Wow, nice bike, you stole it!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 09:05:37 AM »

Good deal!   And this is going to be a great way to "bond" with the bike.   My favorite bike is always the one that gets me home from 2000 miles away .....

Lannis

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 09:13:38 AM »
Humm, 10 year old bike with 3K miles.  I'd take a close look at the tires, probably rock hard from age.  Otherwise that looks like a screaming good deal!
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 09:37:09 AM »
Plenty of good advice here. One tip I'll add is to head west from Chicago and ride the Great River Road south along the Mississippi.
Lots of interesting history and small-town Americana. You can order a free map and get a preview of some of the sites and attractions here: https://experiencemississippiriver.com/
Anyway, nice bike, and have a great trip!
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 11:20:31 AM »
 Most KOA campgrounds have those sleeping huts that rent pretty cheap . Negates the need for a tent .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »
Most KOA campgrounds have those sleeping huts that rent pretty cheap . Negates the need for a tent .

Dusty

That sort of depends where ... the KOA huts (just an electric light, nothing else, no bedding etc) at the KOA where we used to have the MD/DC Guzzi rally were $45 a night in the same area that an EconoLodge was $59.

At our BSA rally in Petaluma CA, the same little hut was $105!   The motels started at $120, but still, you don't save much over a motel.

Still, though, as you say, no "setting up camp" and fooling with wet gear - just spread your pad and bedroll on the bed frame, stand up to take your boots and pants off instead of rolling around on a tent floor being a contortionist, and off first thing in the morning ...

Lannis
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:28:43 AM by Lannis »

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 01:17:50 PM »
I use Google and Kim uses Yelp for food.  Always find some good stuff on either one.

Tripadvisor has some good reviews (top 10 things to do for each city/location).

Motorcycleroads.com lists rides and reviews by State. 

350 per day on a long weekend trip is a good target.  I always push the first leg of the day a little too long an that makes the rest of the day a little less fun.  Now days I take off without having my coffee and breakfast; that pretty much guarantees that first stop will come early :)

Make sure you know when sundown is scheduled.  This time of year critters are everywhere.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 02:01:47 PM »
Wow, great bike and a great deal!  Those are rare machines, and I think one of the better CARC Guzzis, well done.  You have plenty of tips but I add a few more thoughts.

Only you know what interests you, but I recommend thinking about your personal preferences and tailoring your trip to that. 
You like history?  Then maybe a trip through a few historic spots like St. Charles, MO. Where Lewis and Clark started their journey (good museum), Dodge City, KS, and Taos.
Scenery?  Maybe route through the Black Hills and down thru CO.
Quirky?  Don't miss that ball of twine!

Anyway, you get the idea.  A little research can set you up for a fun trip and then pick roads to connect the sites you want to see. 

I did just recently learn about a fantastic out of the way road in your home state that I can highly recommend.  About 6 mikes south of Shiprock, NM, turn west on Indian Service Road 13, and take this to Lukachukai, AZ.  From there, you can go on to Chinle, AZ following google maps, roads are all good.  I don't want to spoil it for you, but you file this one under TWISTY, and SCENERY. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 02:56:16 PM »

Mike
Guys, I get out a little bit on my Norge and really there are no rules.
Except these...
Go where you want to
Go as far as you want to
Stop when you want to
All roads are good.(even the bad ones) The Road of Bones is shithouse, but a pinnacle of riding "enjoyment"
The Transfagarasan is a pile of junk compared to theStelvio, but it's nice to be able to say "oh yeah" when asked if you've done it...
Good topic for a chat though !

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »
Guys, I get out a little bit on my Norge and really there are no rules.
Except these...
Go where you want to
Go as far as you want to
Stop when you want to
All roads are good.(even the bad ones) The Road of Bones is shithouse, but a pinnacle of riding "enjoyment"
The Transfagarasan is a pile of junk compared to theStelvio, but it's nice to be able to say "oh yeah" when asked if you've done it...
Good topic for a chat though !

Those rules sound good ... but in your case, are you "looking ahead" to where the next place to eat or stop and sleep might be with some sort of technology, or are you just taking what comes over the horizon, and if nothing shows up, you just eat a Clif bar and sleep under a tree?

The reason I ask is because we're planning to be 6 or 8 weeks on the road next year in one nice long trip, and (I say it's for Fay's sake but it might be me) I've considered getting some sort of device to "see ahead".   

I can have a Clif bar for dinner and sleep on a rest stop picnic table, Lord knows I've done it before, but I'm not doing that to Fay even though she wouldn't complain ....

So, take your chances the old fashioned way or use the Crystal Ball to find storms, Chevrons, Starbucks, and Super 8s .... ?

Lannis

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »
Well, I usaually guts myself around lunch time and sometimes leave evening meal out.
But to respond in the same spirit that you asked. The only thing I really PLAN is to be somewhere decent (Agostini's), when the bike is going to need something (oil change), and sorta' just let the rest of it "happen". At least that's how it feels...

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here