Author Topic: Favorite Motorcycle Engines . . . and why?  (Read 12244 times)

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
Re: Favorite Motorcycle Engines . . . and why?
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2018, 07:25:19 PM »
I have thought about it some more, and Dusty is just wrong.    A 90 degree engine is not an L engine.  Nor is it a V engine.  It's actually a caret engine.

After all, if you keep rotating the letter L or V, you wind up with an editor's caret mark.     ^

Moto Guzzi:   The Way the Caret Was Meant to Be !

:whip2:
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2018, 07:29:33 PM »
Well , it kinda makes sense , although there is likely a different explanation . Could be a way to mess with people's heads  :evil:

Dusty

Dusty, you're an expert when messing with people's' heads.   :bow:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2018, 07:38:36 PM »
I have thought about it some more, and Dusty is just wrong.    A 90 degree engine is not an L engine.  Nor is it a V engine.  It's actually a caret engine.

After all, if you keep rotating the letter L or V, you wind up with an editor's caret mark.     ^

Moto Guzzi:   The Way the Caret Was Meant to Be !

:whip2:

Depends which way you rotate it and where you are looking from during the rotation.

Other motors I like just for the coolness of them, but have not ridden:  Honda CBX inline 6.  Moto Guzzi V8.  Motus V4.

But I love my V11 Sport Scura motor - with the upgraded steel flywheel (single plate clutch) mated to the 6 speed tranny. That just makes me smile every time I ride it.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2018, 07:50:52 PM »
Haven't we already covered this, NOTHING is an L-twin unless the vertical cylinder's stroke is twice the horizontal's.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2018, 07:50:52 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »
I've mentioned many times how much I like the Guzzi V twins. All of em. V700 to the Norge, 2V, 4V, loved them all.
I also love thumpers, but probably will never have another. Rode a Matchless a fair amount in the woods back in the day.. other thumpers, too.
Oh, another that makes the cut.. I had a Ducati Darmah. That was a *sweet* engine. When it ran. I wasn't a very good motorcycle mechanic back then.. nor was anyone else I knew. (pre internet)
I'd *probably* like a Vincent, but have never operated one, so don't know.
Right now, I'm happy with my three Guzzis. For those of you that have never operated a Monza 500 with it's 9K redline.. I'm just saying. That's a sweet little engine, too. I have found the one true faith.
Chuck, Deacon..
Church of Guzzi
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2018, 08:02:55 PM »
Haven't we already covered this, NOTHING is an L-twin unless the vertical cylinder's stroke is twice the horizontal's.

So the Douglass motorcycle company was wrong to call their 680 CC 90 degree twin an L twin then?

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2018, 08:06:30 PM »
So the Douglass motorcycle company was wrong to call their 680 CC 90 degree twin an L twin then?

Dusty
I'm not familiar with it, but if they had equal strokes, then yes...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2018, 08:18:48 PM »
I'm not familiar with it, but if they had equal strokes, then yes...

Well there ya have it , those engineers were just wrong then .

Dusty

twowings

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2018, 08:29:33 PM »
Guzzi twins, bevel-drive Ducatis, Triumph Triples, MV Augustas, Benelli Seis, and long-stroke singles...I'm glad to have lived in this time!  :thumb:

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2018, 09:09:26 PM »
I asked the same question to Sonny Angel, who had an old motorcycle shop in National City just south if San Diego, next to the 32nd street Naval Base south entrance.  At the time, he was riding an 80's model Moto Guzzi Quota.  His shop was littered with old Nortons, Triumphs, a Ducati Paso, couple of Cagivas, and a Vincent or two.  He may of had Japanese bikes but I don't remember seeing any.  A machinist's lathe took up one corner of the shop... and Sonny was often running it, building replacement parts for his old bikes.  When asked, I recall Sonny favoring his Guzzi, a Ducati Darma, and the Vincent.  I visited his shop many times though never bought anything, I was in my early twenties and didn't have any money.  His bikes were not cheap.

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2018, 09:23:15 PM »
I like 90 degree V twins. Neither the 2 valve, air cooled in my Breva 1100 or the 4 valve, water cooled in my Aprilia 750 Shiver are very powerful, they are both adequate and are both relaxing and fun. Must be something about the frequency of the vibrations of this engine configuration.
North Carolina

Offline Dalini

• New Egg
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2018, 11:01:08 PM »
There are different engines types whose pulse can stimulate the mind, imagination & soul but in my opinion the “Velvet Hammer”, Honda’s CBX with a Bassani or D&D exhaust has no equal. Had two.
And Honda’s 250 six? Just ask those in or near it’s pit area if you come across them.

bpreynolds

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2018, 06:05:19 AM »
Great thread and I�m enjoying reading it.

Me, in the last 13 or so years of riding and covering probably about 150k or more miles on bikes, I�ve owned lots of Geese, Ducatis, Triumphs, Kawis, a Yammer, Honda, and KTMs and among those, air cooled twins, Ducati air cooled twins (L or whatever you want to call them  :laugh:), water cooled single, water and air cooled 4s, triple, and probably a couple I�ve forgotten. 

I will admit without repentence that my favorite among these is...them all.  TG Sheppard once sang, “Big, little, short, or tall, wish I could’ve kept them all/I loved ‘em every one!”  I�m such an engine junkie!!!!  :thumb: :thumb: :bike-037: :afro: :grin: :boozing:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:11:00 AM by bpreynolds »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2018, 06:17:37 AM »
Well there ya have it , those engineers were just wrong then .

Dusty
Ok, then I agree with you, they were wrong.

It's not the first time.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2018, 06:21:34 AM »

So Ducati calls my V twin Monster engine a L....Damn, so one cylinder has a 2.6 inch stroke and the other a 5.2 inch stroke...? Man ,that 5.2 inch stroke at 8000 rpm has to have some serious piston speed...........

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2018, 06:30:24 AM »
  So Ducati calls my V twin Monster engine a L....Damn, so one cylinder has a 2.6 inch stroke and the other a 5.2 inch stroke...? Man ,that 5.2 inch stroke at 8000 rpm has to have some serious piston speed...........
Right, which is why the moniker is dumb, and is just a case of poor branding.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2018, 07:16:27 AM »
+1 on the Norton Commando motors. They look like they are in motion just sitting still. Same with the Laverda engines.

A Manx is also a thing of beauty as is the CBX. That motor is just so over the top you can't help but marvel at it.

But my favorite I think are the old Falcone singles with everything exposed. I love to see the mechanicals, whirling flywheel, hairpin springs, external oil pump, etc. Those exposed mechanicals just trip my trigger.

New water cooled bikes just look horrible, better to cover them with plastic so you can't see all that mess that lies underneath.
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2018, 12:05:58 PM »
Never owned a Ducati, but have ridden on both modern and vintage models.  Cool bikes, and Italian...what's not to like?  The fastest I have ever been on a motorcycle, approx. 135-140+ mph was on a Ducati ST4 on the Autobahn... It was fast, smooth and handled like it was on a rail.  Almost bought a Ducati after that... :shocked: :wink:

So now, I basically have two V-twin in the stable....the 106 cu. in. 2014 Victory Vision, and my '98 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro GT.  Different motors...and I like using the Victory for two up, and long distance riding...and it is smooth and efficient...but every time I get on the ol' Centauro, it always REALLY makes me smile... :cool: :1: :thumb:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »
I like most all of them. As a kid It was RD Yamaha and GT Suzukis. Loved my big inline 4. My favorites were/are the early 80's Guzzis and the 650 Yamaha. The new small block Guzzi is a challenger.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2018, 09:46:47 PM »
I've owned over 30 different bikes but only bought the same one twice .   Suzuki makes one that's as Honest as a Briggs + Stratton , easy to keep running as a Small Block Chevy , and has torque  like a John Deer.   Its the LS-650 engine ... 34 year ... production run and still going !

All the rest are fun to ride too .     :laugh:
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2018, 10:56:10 PM »
The one I'd like to try.

1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline 265coupe

• New Egg
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2018, 07:16:13 AM »
I really like my carb 750 Nevada SB, I've roadsterised it and the bike suits me. The gearing is to tall though.

I've still got a 1996 Monster 900. Never quite bonded with it. Nice power but a bit doughy down low.

I've always liked 4 stroke 500/600 jap trail bikes for commuting. The best engine was a 90's TT600 with a 630 big bore. Nice power

Off ride I like 2 strokes. The best being some VMX Huskys. A 83 CR250 and a 82 WR 430. Great power and simple

The best though was my 1981 Ducati 900SS with Contis and 40s. A gem. 90,000kms with no real problems. Traded it on the Monster. I still regret it.

Some other bastard has it now and I hope he enjoys it. Effortless power. The bike was light and geared perfect. Fast enough for me. Saw  210km/hr on the dodgy Veglia down the main straight of Surfers Paradise Raceway (Aussie content). Real speed less than that still plenty fast

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »
That racing #16 Guzzi twin.  I am guessing the it's a 120 degree V twin?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2018, 10:50:24 AM »
Of the three engines/bikes I currently own DR650, 800XC and '16 Versys 1000lt I prefer the engine in the DR650.

I like the top end rush of the Versys 1000 and especially the intake howl starting at 6,000rpm, but hate the hand-numbing high frequency vibrations. Now I understand why big touring bikes are usually twins (V and boxer) and sixes, while inline fours go to sport tourers.

I like the torque and horsepower of the Triumphs triple but absolutely hate the sound. My friends call it the Dust Buster. I also hate the oil consumption. Internally many items look cheap and poorly made/cast. I'm through with Triumph and cannot wait to sell this one.

The DR650 just has a great sound and feel. Maybe it's just the whole combination of engine and chassis but this bike is impossible to ride slow. Peter Egan loves these bikes and I can see why. This bike is a keeper.

Honorable mention goes to Buells 1125CR which is just crazy across the board. Power, torque, feel, sound...this engine has it all. Can't rate it much higher though because it was never put in a touring bike and the maintenance seems pretty difficult.  I've ridden H-D's and haven't been blown away by them. I'd rate them 'em as 'better than expected'. Still awaiting some seat time with a Guzzi.

Best looking motor? Guzzi small block.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:45:58 PM by Seventy One »

Offline Mark Dasher

• Gosling
'75 850T
'78 Robin
'06 Breva 1100

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »
Good point 71.  It is the sound of the Triumph Triple that I just hate.    Sounds great above 8,000 rpm and open throttle.  But a terrible sound just droning down the road normally. 

Surprising how much the soundtrack matters. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:59:55 AM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2018, 09:39:25 PM »
Kawasaki H1 500
3 cylinder two stroke.
Why? Ride one.
Kirk

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2018, 09:23:00 AM »
An engine that's slipped from memory because not many have experience of it is MV's 750cc across-the-frame four  (..and I don't mean Cagiva's modern-day offering!). 

Designed half a century ago, and still unmatched for sheer machismo, this engine makes most modern powerplants look, sound and feel powder-puff.  With gear-driven cams, proper open-bellmouth DellOrto carbs and open race pipes, it sounds like rolling thunder from idling to peak revs (..it's way more spine-chilling than even Ducatis with Termignonis).  It has roller-bearings everywhere, it's got horizontally-split sandcast casings enabling easy removal of the crank, and an automotive-style distributor for easy timing checks. 

Completely free of vibration on the road; it needs no rubber-mounts whatever, anywhere ~ even the footpegs are plain turned steel and bolted directly to the frame.  It makes power from idle to max revs (..it's quicker than a Mk1 Le Mans) and it has the kind of 'real world / on-the-road' flexibility you would hardly believe from a motor that brought MV Agusta 37 World Championship titles (..the race engine had magnesium casings, but was of the same design).

No engine is more handsome, IMHO: it looks like it's been carved from rock ~ and it can be stripped down at the roadside with barely any more than two spanners and a screwdriver!  It has to be a contender for 'best ever'.

This audio hardly does it justice.  Turn up your speakers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fImkF4zafXQ     

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:25:23 AM by weevee »

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2018, 10:18:29 AM »
An engine that's slipped from memory because not many have experience of it is MV's 750cc across-the-frame four  (..and I don't mean Cagiva's modern-day offering!). 

Designed half a century ago, and still unmatched for sheer machismo, this engine makes most modern powerplants look, sound and feel powder-puff.  With gear-driven cams, proper open-bellmouth DellOrto carbs and open race pipes, it sounds like rolling thunder from idling to peak revs (..it's way more spine-chilling than even Ducatis with Termignonis).  It has roller-bearings everywhere, it's got horizontally-split sandcast casings enabling easy removal of the crank, and an automotive-style distributor for easy timing checks. 

Completely free of vibration on the road; it needs no rubber-mounts whatever, anywhere ~ even the footpegs are plain turned steel and bolted directly to the frame.  It makes power from idle to max revs (..it's quicker than a Mk1 Le Mans) and it has the kind of 'real world / on-the-road' flexibility you would hardly believe from a motor that brought MV Agusta 37 World Championship titles (..the race engine had magnesium casings, but was of the same design).

No engine is more handsome, IMHO: it looks like it's been carved from rock ~ and it can be stripped down at the roadside with barely any more than two spanners and a screwdriver!  It has to be a contender for 'best ever'.

This audio hardly does it justice.  Turn up your speakers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fImkF4zafXQ     

Well now you've gone and done it haven't you................ .....that's it, we have a winner

Thread Closed  :wink:

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2018, 10:37:52 AM »
Well now you've gone and done it haven't you................ .....that's it, we have a winner

Thread Closed  :wink:

While I find the Ur-MV Augustas lustworthy, they have two too many of everything to be a "favorite" of mine.
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here