Author Topic: V7 to V9  (Read 13233 times)

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
V7 to V9
« on: September 26, 2018, 08:46:53 AM »
I currently own a V7II Stone, but the more I visit my Guzzi dealer the more I am drawn to the V9 Roamer. The smaller tank does not bother me especially for the type of riding I do which is mainly cruising some of the backroads in my area of SW Ohio. I have not test ridden one yet as my dealer just sold the Roamer he had in stock and is waiting on another to come in so that I can test ride it.

I guess my question is has anybody moved from the V7 to the V9? Do you regret your choice or should I just avoid my dealer for a while?
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 to V9
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 09:16:15 AM »
I'm assuming you're referring to Cadre. Enzo and his crew are great people and place.

As for the V9: I have had an opportunity to ride both a V7III as well as a V9 Roamer. Personally, I felt there was a little more room on the V9 and I liked the ergos a little better for me. I know other disagree and that's fine. As for power, It thought it did well. I had no trouble merging into 60+ mph traffic and was impressed that there was something left when I opened the throttle, easily jumping to 80 with little effort. IMHO, the V7 takes it in the looks department, but I liked the V9 overall the best. If I were in the market, I would be getting the V9, at least until the V85TT shows up. :laugh:

On another note, if you are up to riding an hour South of Cinci, the Kentucky rally will be going on this weekend just North of Frankfort.

John Henry

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
Had both, what zoom zoom said.
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 10:31:46 AM »
I'm assuming you're referring to Cadre. Enzo and his crew are great people and place.

As for the V9: I have had an opportunity to ride both a V7III as well as a V9 Roamer. Personally, I felt there was a little more room on the V9 and I liked the ergos a little better for me. I know other disagree and that's fine. As for power, It thought it did well. I had no trouble merging into 60+ mph traffic and was impressed that there was something left when I opened the throttle, easily jumping to 80 with little effort. IMHO, the V7 takes it in the looks department, but I liked the V9 overall the best. If I were in the market, I would be getting the V9, at least until the V85TT shows up. :laugh:

On another note, if you are up to riding an hour South of Cinci, the Kentucky rally will be going on this weekend just North of Frankfort.

John Henry

I agree, Enzo and his crew are top notch. I was sold on the dealer as much as I was sold on the bike. Other dealers,(not Guzzi), were one extreme to the other. Some seemed not to care if I bought a bike at all and others wanted to sell me anything even if it was not a good fit.

Will definitely have to test the V9 Roamer when it arrives.
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 10:31:46 AM »

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »
I had the V9 bobber and I have a V7III racer. The difference in torque and horsepower is not much on paper, but feels like more on the street. Liked the Bobber more than the 7. Some jack*** totaled my 9. You can get 180 out of a tank. Seat is not the best.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »
The V9 Sport will be arriving soon, so you have a 3rd choice.

'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 11:51:24 AM »

yup. I'm diggin' it. @dcardo021 , is there anything to the notion that that front tire kills the handling? How'd did it compare in that regard to the V7III? And I wonder what those tires cost to replace...

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:52:15 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »
yup. I'm diggin' it. @dcardo021 , is there anything to the notion that that front tire kills the handling? How'd did it compare in that regard to the V7III? And I wonder what those tires cost to replace...

I would imagine that the bobber would handle better but that all depends on the overall diameter of the wheel/tire.  More tire, more traction in the curves.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 12:33:26 PM »
I had the V9 bobber and I have a V7III racer. The difference in torque and horsepower is not much on paper, but feels like more on the street. Liked the Bobber more than the 7. Some jack*** totaled my 9. You can get 180 out of a tank. Seat is not the best.

Thanks, I am looking forward to taking one for a test ride to compare to my V7. The small fuel tank does not really bother me a bit.
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »

I would have to see it in person. I still like the Roamer better.
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »
I owned a V7 and a Griso and rode the V9 Bobber. I bought a Roamer.

It was the perfect compromise. Enough power to be fun, easy to flick around on the back roads, and surprisingly capable as a touring bike. (Not to mention gorgeous.)

And to answer the Bobber comparison, the Roamer seat was more comfortable and the skinnier front tire makes it turn in quicker in the twisties. Unless you’re really hung up on the styling of the Bobber, the Roamer makes more sense, IMHO.
Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 06:47:52 PM »
I owned a V7 and a Griso and rode the V9 Bobber. I bought a Roamer.

It was the perfect compromise. Enough power to be fun, easy to flick around on the back roads, and surprisingly capable as a touring bike. (Not to mention gorgeous.)

And to answer the Bobber comparison, the Roamer seat was more comfortable and the skinnier front tire makes it turn in quicker in the twisties. Unless you�re really hung up on the styling of the Bobber, the Roamer makes more sense, IMHO.

My BMW airheads and W650 all have a 19" front.    It turns in plenty quick.

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 11:02:15 PM »
My BMW airheads and W650 all have a 19" front.    It turns in plenty quick.

My point exactly! The Roamer falls into turns effortlessly with its 100/90 19” front tire.  The Bobber uses a fat 130/90 16” that takes a bit more effort in the tighter curves. Not bad, but the Bobber definitely feels heavier.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 05:33:17 AM »
I haven't ridden the Bobber yet specifically, but now I want to. I have had a few bikes with a 130/90-16 though and they handled fine. I'm sure the Bobber does too.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 06:13:36 AM »
I currently own a V7II Stone, but the more I visit my Guzzi dealer the more I am drawn to the V9 Roamer. The smaller tank does not bother me especially for the type of riding I do which is mainly cruising some of the backroads in my area of SW Ohio. I have not test ridden one yet as my dealer just sold the Roamer he had in stock and is waiting on another to come in so that I can test ride it.

I guess my question is has anybody moved from the V7 to the V9? Do you regret your choice or should I just avoid my dealer for a while?

Another big vote for Enzo and Cadre here. 

I've owned a '15 Stone, a Roamer, and a V7III.  I honestly felt like the power difference from the seat of my pants was more felt between the '15 Stone and the V7III than between the V9 and the III.  But that's just me.  And too, why did I like the '15 Stone better than the III?  Weird.  Anyhow, ergos suited my bad back a little better on the V7 than V9 but I guess I'm in the opposite camp where I actually like the looks of the V9 better.  With the V9 (and V7III Specials) Guzzi is finally, I think, making double walled pipes that don't blue or otherwise at the first 1k miles.  The Bobber and the Stone's blacked out pipes are sharp but I just prefer the finish on the Roamer.  It really stands out and I personally think they styled the Roamer outstandingly well.  Oddly, the most significant difference for me between the V9 and the V7 was the mpg.  I got significantly better mpg on the V9 than either of my V7s, this riding the same commute, same seasons, touring, etc.  Though the V7 had the bigger tank, range wasn't that much greatly at all for me with the added economy of the V9. 

Lately, I find myself wanting a V7 Classic  :boozing: :grin:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:30:10 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 07:04:03 AM »
Another big vote for Enzo and Cadre here. 

I've owned a '15 Stone, a Roamer, and a V7III.  I honestly felt like the power difference from the seat of my pants was more felt between the '15 Stone and the V7III than between the V9 and the III.  But that's just me.  And too, why did I like the '15 Stone better than the III?  Weird.  Anyhow, ergos suited my bad back a little better on the V7 than V9 but I guess I'm in the opposite camp where I actually like the looks of the V9 better.  With the V9 Guzzi is finally, I think, making double walled pipes that don't blue or otherwise at the first 1k miles.  The Bobber and the Stone's blacked out pipes are sharp but I just prefer the finish on the Roamer.  It really stands out and I personally think they styled the Roamer outstandingly well.  Oddly, the most significant difference for me between the V9 and the V7 was the mpg.  I got significantly better mpg on the V9 than either of my V7s, this riding the same commute, same seasons, touring, etc.  Though the V7 had the bigger tank, range wasn't that much greatly at all for me with the added economy of the V9. 

Lately, I find myself wanting a V7 Classic  :boozing: :grin:

It only takes me about 15 minutes to get to Cadre, so I can always find an excuse to stop by! I like my V7 but every time I stop by I keep getting drawn towards th V9 Roamer, so I figure a test ride is in order.
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline dcardo021

• Gosling
    • moto guzzi
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 08:51:40 PM »
Handled very well, that big fat tire tracked well. I love twisties and worried about that. No problems. My other bike is a terror on twisty roads. But the V9 did not disappoint!

Offline Gnirwin

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 09:35:40 AM »
This is my very 1st post! I bought a new 2017 Bobber in August. I took advantage of the $1,000 dollar rebate on 2017 V9's which is still going on. Guzzi is also offering special financing on both 2017 and 2018 models. I read a few professional reviews prior to my purchase and it seemed to be unanimous that the V9's power was noticeably more than the V7's. Also a few reviewers liked the cornering and overall ride of the Bobber over the Roamer. I also have a Kawaski Vulcan S and can say the Bobber is close to being as flickable as it and the Vulcan S is known for how it handles. I am getting 180 miles per tank with 70% city/30% highway driving and so far am very happy with the Bobber.
'17 Bobber
'15 Kawaski Vulan S
'98 Goldwing

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 09:39:23 AM »
This is my very 1st post! I bought a new 2017 Bobber in August. I took advantage of the $1,000 dollar rebate on 2017 V9's which is still going on. Guzzi is also offering special financing on both 2017 and 2018 models. I read a few professional reviews prior to my purchase and it seemed to be unanimous that the V9's power was noticeably more than the V7's. Also a few reviewers liked the cornering and overall ride of the Bobber over the Roamer. I also have a Kawaski Vulcan S and can say the Bobber is close to being as flickable as it and the Vulcan S is known for how it handles. I am getting 180 miles per tank with 70% city/30% highway driving and so far am very happy with the Bobber.

:thumb:

Sweet - welcome to the madness!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »
Excellent choice!!   Welcome,  and have fun!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 04:51:29 PM »
Got a call from Enzo at Cadre last night to let me know he just got a V9 Roamer in if I wanted to take it for a test ride. Of course I went up first thing this morning to take a look. To me the bike looks great in white with the red striping. He put a tag on it and told me to have fun. I only put about 20-25 miles on it but I was pretty impressed. I like the more upright seating position over my V7, but i was not too crazy about the peg position. Enzo told me there is a kit that will move the pegs back around 2 1/2 inches to a more European riding position.

Thinking very hard about taking advantage of the $1000.00 off the 2017 V9"s. The 2018 V9 does not look much different except for the paint and seats. I understand they changed the rear shocks also. Don't think the price difference would be worth it.
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 04:56:45 PM »
Do it!  I rode a Roamer, it was great fun, very clean package, like most Guzzi, does it all!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 09:15:12 PM »
Do it!  I rode a Roamer, it was great fun, very clean package, like most Guzzi, does it all!

I hope to make up my mind over the weekend. One thing I noticed is with the more upright position I am not putting as much pressure on my hands as with the V7 since I lean forward more on it. Usually after about a half hour on the V7 my hands start to ache, especially my left hand. Have arthritis in both hands around the base of the thumb.
2017 V9 Roamer

elvisboy77

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 11:30:20 PM »
You should do it!  You can always  buy another V7 if you think its a big mistake, I dont think it will be.

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »
The dealer included and installed the mid-mount footpeg kit on my 2017, didn’t bump up the $1,000 discounted price, and gave me a very fair trade on my ‘12 Griso. At 5’9”, 165#, the ergos are nearly perfect now.

The suspension felt a bit stiff until they backed off some preload at the rear. Now it’s comfortable enough that I wasn’t too beaten up after a 1,400-mile weekend. The only thing better than looking at it is riding it!

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 01:29:53 PM »
The dealer included and installed the mid-mount footpeg kit on my 2017, didn�t bump up the $1,000 discounted price, and gave me a very fair trade on my �12 Griso. At 5�9�, 165#, the ergos are nearly perfect now.

The suspension felt a bit stiff until they backed off some preload at the rear. Now it�s comfortable enough that I wasn�t too beaten up after a 1,400-mile weekend. The only thing better than looking at it is riding it!

The dealer also told me the mid mount footpeg kit is a no charge option. At 5'6" I think the footpeg kit would help the ergos for me. Probably my biggest decision besides whether to go for it is what color to get. I like the white but the yellow is really growing on me.
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline greyghost

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 06:19:25 PM »
I made exactly the same move in April. I really like riding the V7, it has a fun sound and feels nimble. Unfortunately I can't ride it for more than about an hour before my hips and shoulders complain. The V9 riding position is much more upright and body-neutral to me. Definitely upgrade your seat. The difference between the ride of the bikes is much more than I expected. The Roamer feels much more relaxed, the V7 feels more "eager".
I want to sell my V7, but can't quite let go. I think this is how collections get started.
California 1400 Touring
Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2018, 06:09:01 AM »
I made exactly the same move in April. I really like riding the V7, it has a fun sound and feels nimble. Unfortunately I can't ride it for more than about an hour before my hips and shoulders complain. The V9 riding position is much more upright and body-neutral to me. Definitely upgrade your seat. The difference between the ride of the bikes is much more than I expected. The Roamer feels much more relaxed, the V7 feels more "eager".
I want to sell my V7, but can't quite let go. I think this is how collections get started.

Nice to hear you like the V9. Seems that those who own the bike like it. I agree the V9 seems to be a more relaoriding style.  I have told my wife why I need a new bike and get the eye roll, but when I rode the demo home to show her she must have taken a dozen pictures  :grin:.  She does like the yellow and it is growing on me.
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline PasoDuc88

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2018, 09:39:25 AM »
I love my Roamer too.  Initially thought the Bobber would be more my style but one look at the yellow Roamer in person was all it took...  The factory rear-set pegs provide much more cornering clearance (was scraping the pegs too easily with the standard USA MY17 peg placement), but I do miss the slightly more relaxed leg positioning you get with the original set-up.  Of course, the OEM accessory "low-rider" seat makes things a bit more cramped, but it's a much more comfortable seat than the stock seat...  If it appeals to you now, I think the V9 will only grow on you more and more as you ride and break it in.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2018, 12:52:22 PM »
I hope to make up my mind over the weekend. One thing I noticed is with the more upright position I am not putting as much pressure on my hands as with the V7 since I lean forward more on it. Usually after about a half hour on the V7 my hands start to ache, especially my left hand. Have arthritis in both hands around the base of the thumb.

According to the motorcycle ergonomics website there is only a 5 degree difference in body lean between the two bikes.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here