Author Topic: Breather in Frame  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
Breather in Frame
« on: May 23, 2019, 08:07:48 AM »
Noticed that a lot of Guzzi models starting maybe around '82-'83 have the breather system going through the frame vs the canister. Is there any benefit to one over the other? Looks like someone has modified an old frame. Would you do this?

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Breather in Frame
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 09:28:19 AM »
No.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 10:09:18 AM »
Putting holes in a part of the frame that is subject to stress is dumb.  You will create a stress riser, i.e., a place where stresses will be focused, and where the piece will be most likely to crack.  A common example of a stress riser is a nick on a aluminum connecting rod. 

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 10:11:38 AM »
My 87LM utilizes the frame in the breather system, which I'm told, tends to rust from condensation. Not the best solution! 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 10:11:38 AM »

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »
Just to be clear, I would not do this either. I saw that today, so thought I'd ask the benefit (if any) to one type of breather type over the other. Is it just a space efficiency thing?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:48:43 AM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 10:39:22 AM »
Putting holes in a part of the frame that is subject to stress is dumb.  You will create a stress riser, i.e., a place where stresses will be focused, and where the piece will be most likely to crack.  A common example of a stress riser is a nick on a aluminum connecting rod.
but the factory put holes in the frame so they must not be worried about stress? the wall of that pipe are pretty thick so I wouldn't think stress is a factor.  ever heard of a frame cracking in that area?

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »
The thing is.. they rust, and that rust eventually ends up in the pan. Occasionally, they should be cleaned, a total PITA.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »
The thing is.. they rust, and that rust eventually ends up in the pan. Occasionally, they should be cleaned, a total PITA.

A friend of mine had some rusty bits show up in his pan on a Lemans IV and he just converted it back to the early breather box.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 11:52:28 AM »
The factory put a tube in the hole and then welded completely around the tube.  That would take care of the stress riser problem.  I don’t see that construction in your photo.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 11:59:04 AM »
The factory put a tube in the hole and then welded completely around the tube.  That would take care of the stress riser problem.  I don’t see that construction in your photo.

Welded would be fine..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 01:02:49 PM »
Using the frame as a breather box is not only cheap but not such a good idea as the frame will rust and then you have all sorts of crap going back into the engine.If I owned a bike with such a system one of the first things I'd do would be to revert back to the previous separate breather box...

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »
My 87LM utilizes the frame in the breather system, which I'm told, tends to rust from condensation. Not the best solution!

Most likely Guzzi wanted us to ride the Lemans hard, wear it out, and buy another in three or four years. Wouldn't that have been good for them?
That we cling to our old jalopies is on us. :laugh:
To the OP's question, no, it's not a great system in the long term unless cleaned on a regular basis. But that breather and airbox do work quite well together in my experience, better than most any pod filter.

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 01:39:52 PM »

So then what would you use, Stainless, Copper Aluminium?
Surely a frame could be treated with some sort of epoxy
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 02:50:29 PM »
You'd never be able to get a sufficiently even coat in the tubes for that to work Kiwi...a new breather box either in plastic like some of the late bikes or stainless would be ideal I think. There is a nice but expensive aftermarket one available in Europe that's stainless and fits between the tank and frame rails on a tonti.You could quite easily fabricate something like that in copper tube or plastic waste pipe.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 03:03:28 PM »
You'd never be able to get a sufficiently even coat in the tubes for that to work Kiwi...a new breather box either in plastic like some of the late bikes or stainless would be ideal I think. There is a nice but expensive aftermarket one available in Europe that's stainless and fits between the tank and frame rails on a tonti.You could quite easily fabricate something like that in copper tube or plastic waste pipe.

By any chance do you have a link or picture of this stainless aftermarket breather?
Thanks
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 03:59:17 PM »
Cheap solution for the factory.  They don't think that their bikes will last as long as they have.  Besides, you would want to upgrade and buy the newer model.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 04:10:52 PM »
but the factory put holes in the frame so they must not be worried about stress? the wall of that pipe are pretty thick so I wouldn't think stress is a factor.  ever heard of a frame cracking in that area?

My 97 California Anniversary 75° (purchased new in 2000) came with a small crack that leaked a little oil over the motor.  It took me quite some time to realize the oil wasn't being emitted from the motor, but from above.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 06:48:32 PM »
I think that if the bike is ridden and not stored for long periods, the chance of corrosion inside the frame / breather section is minimal as the expelled oil will maintain a protective film on the steel.  If you are getting rust in your sump from a frame/ breather it's because it's not getting enough use.

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 03:53:36 AM »
I was hoping to make a box similar to the agostini breather, the stock early box may be too small, that moto special one does look good.

My reason for trying the ago style box is Manfred fitted them to some of his hot motors but the other one seems a very neat fit.

Given how often people complain about crap in their frame on the “in frame” models a nice breathing box sounds like a great option.
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline Roy gardner

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 05:16:23 AM »
Wot Lucian said. The pre-frame oil condenser/catch pots were unpainted steel inside & dont have a rep for rusting, and they are thin. Sure, my V7Sport can had its thin spring rust away, but that was exactly as Lucian said, it sat while the rest of the bike was restored. I know it was popular among some owners to smash that non return valve & spring out to prevent a "restriction" but I dont buy that, I carefully cut mine open & replaced the spring, it works fine.
The reason for using the frame tube, I believe, is volume. The V7, 850T canister struggles to deal with a 950T because of the extra volume of air being compressed in the crank case. Hence the larger "Agostini" type which became available, & still is, through Steine Dinse & probably others.

The frame tube is ideal, heaps of volume, cool air passing under the tank & slopes down to a collection point for draining the condensed oil fumes back into the motor, except they dont, they drain somewhere else, air cleaner maybe? I dont have my LM 1000 frame here to look at right now, & I cant recall how the drain tube exits, is it from the lowest point, or is it a little higher, leaving a dam to catch the perceived rust particles?
I modified my Convert frame to replicate the LM frame, as close as reasonable, by brazing tubes into it. The top tube is in tension when the forces are greatest, under braking, a 19mm (3/4") divot filled with tube is not going to compromise it's strength.

The frame breather, Square Barrel, models dont have an oil drain down the back of the crank case like earlier models. The tapped hole was in my LM so I fitted the earlier style drain hoping that it might reduce  the mayonnaise generation in the rocker covers that Square Barrels seem so good at. Fail!
So I ran the rocker cover vents to a separate catch container, a Marmite jar, and vented that to atmosphere. Winner!
However, the mayo catching Marmite jar recently stopped generating mayo. I realised that my favorite oil,Castrol Activ 4T, had a change of packaging with "new improved" propaganda all over it. In this instance it was justified, Castrol must have recognised that their formulation was creating mayo & changed it.
Next oil change I will remove the Marmite jar & reintroduce the rocker vents to the frame.

quick image upload

MGNOC L112
1973  850 GT (sold 1979)
1974  160 Stornello (bought new 1978)
1972 V7 Sport, (bought 1979, still running strong)
1977 Convert (bought 2009)
1974  850T (ComposT, pawned to buy Vincent parts!
1985? LM 1000 (saved from a savage, has become hotrod Convert)

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 07:44:06 AM »
One of the Le Mans that I picked up a few years ago had a baby bottle setup like that Marmite jar.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 09:28:20 PM »
I have a hotel shampoo bottle for the transmission breather line on my SP1000NT.  Small and didn't cost anything.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2021, 08:38:45 AM »
Chuck! I believe we have a winner!

resurrecting this old thread because I believe it solves a mystery that came up this summer.

Quick review of facts: out for a very vigorous day chasing a friend around Kentuckiana, halfway through the bike develops a terrible shudder. 200 miles back home, with all systems working normally, but feeling like I rode the entire return on the breakdown lane rumble strip.

culprit: toasted the carrier bearing @ 39K miles.

After replacing that bearing and the u joint, dropped the pan for an oil change, and the drain plug magnet held a treasure:

Was a sobering moment that had me examining everything I could, with everything in the block looking exceptionally good. head scratcher.

a Guzzi friend came across another thread  similar to this and had an a-ha moment, and I believe it's correct.  The excessive and constant vibration on the 200 mile return jarred loose debris in the breather. It was an atypical event, and certainly violent enough. The bike was dormant prior to my ownership (7 years now), and I did have a quiet 18 month period resulting in a bit of cheese in the sump during my ownership, and this damn Indiana rainforest humidity doesn't help.

So the question is, do ya'll concur? And how in the hell can you clean that spine tube on a tonti?
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2021, 09:15:54 AM »
Simply put a Le Mans or Ago one on it and forget the frame as a breather...

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2021, 11:06:26 AM »
On my '04 EVT, the "breather" lines to the heads are the oil return  lines from the frame breather. There is no simple way to set up a Tonti or Loop style breather can and still have the oil return to the engine.

With this said. A few years ago I was looking into this. I seem to remember that "I think" some spine frame bikes used a return that was attached to the oil pan drain bolt with a banjo type fitting. I just was never "sure" if that was actually a return line. If it was, then maybe my '04 can be set up that way with a breather can??

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2021, 11:27:57 AM »
I think that if the bike is ridden and not stored for long periods, the chance of corrosion inside the frame / breather section is minimal as the expelled oil will maintain a protective film on the steel.  If you are getting rust in your sump from a frame/ breather it's because it's not getting enough use.

or didn't, for some period of time.

I'd think this would come up often with 'barn finds'. All the tonti/cali's out there will be excellent candidates for what @frenchfrog linked to earlier, but for the whale dork tank...

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=6364#prettyPhoto
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2021, 02:00:59 PM »
To make it simple, is it easy to remove the hose from frame, cap the tube going into the frame, and add a catch can somewhere low.

When I removed the valve covers there was mayo present. I used a little compressed air to open up the tubes while thinking that that was dumbest system I had ever seen.
I thought about my old R69 that just has a pipe to the open air that gets the job done,  and the goldwing that the catch can was full of water when I got it.

Don
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2021, 03:06:54 PM »
V7II uses the top frame tube as a return for engine breather too. I noticed this while doing a fuel filter .
So the return hose now goes to a catch can & the return to the crankcase has an inline type fuel filter on it tucked up under tank , oh i left the check valve in place too.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here